snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 March 2017, 07:05 AM

Icon102 Bikers spot 'Hobbit' near Banda Aceh, Sumatra

Quote:
It’s believed a half-naked man filmed running down a dirt track in Indonesia could be a member of a lost, ancient Indonesian tribe.
Quote:
Those commenting on the video have guessed the man, who is much shorter than the average Indonesian male, could be part of the mythical Mante tribe, a lost Indonesian pygmy tribe.

The ethnic group are the subject of an urban legend about the origins of the Aceh people, which has been passed down the generations on the island for centuries.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/34823109...-jungle/#page1

Here's the youtube video:

Looks like it's just a short dude to me? He doesn't even look that short.
Old 29 March 2017, 08:28 AM

Fox with mange.

Seriously though, if that were a real member of some sort of lost tribe, why would they be wearing modern looking pants?
Old 29 March 2017, 09:49 AM

He must also be pretty darn deaf if he didn't realise the bikers were approaching until they were almost upon him.
Old 29 March 2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Fox with mange.

Seriously though, if that were a real member of some sort of lost tribe, why would they be wearing modern looking pants?
I can't see no pants. I can see much of anything, actually - it's a blurry, out of focus, shaking picture of a running human in the distance.
Old 29 March 2017, 02:02 PM

I was going to say that the word "hobbit" in the headline seems deliberately misleading, but the report has now changed it to "pygmy man".

"Hobbit" immediately implies that he was supposed to be a different species from Homo Sapiens - one of the Homo Floriensis whose remains were discovered on Flores a few years ago. That's a couple of thousand miles from here and several islands away...

The claim that he's simply somebody from a "lost tribe" is far less sensational. I don't know how likely it is that there are still "lost tribes" in Sumatra - I thought there were only a few places still left in the world where there were known to be uncontacted tribes, and that those were mostly in New Guinea or the deepest parts of the Amazon. Sumatra is densely populated in comparison (275 people per square mile according to Wikipedia, as opposed to 36 / sq mi for New Guinea - even less if you look only at the Indonesian half - or 6.6 / sq mile for the Amazonas area of Brazil), although it looks like there are still pretty big jungle and wilderness areas up at the northern end where these bikers were.
Old 29 March 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I can't see no pants. I can see much of anything, actually - it's a blurry, out of focus, shaking picture of a running human in the distance.
Looked to me like he was wearing long shorts, but like you said it was a blurry and out of focus shaky-cam.
Old 30 March 2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on the definition of lost. Just because the tribe hasn't been photographed or properly documented doesn't mean they have no contact with any outside group - or any outside garments such as they might find in someone's rubbish, even in the forest, without any direct contact at all. Lots of groups when first documented already have a few modern things such as steel tools and even clothes.
Old 30 March 2017, 04:24 AM

Even a Coke bottle.
Old 30 March 2017, 04:31 AM

Well, case in point, the San people have had contact with other humans for many centuries before some western anthropologist 'discovered' them.

Although I'm not sure it has ever been thoroughly substantiated, but some claim that by the time the Yanomami people were documented, they had already forgotten how to properly use a stone axe. They were using steel.
Old 30 March 2017, 05:30 AM

Figure seems to me to abruptly appear in, and at a later point abruptly disappear from, the road: not so much as if someone were running in and out of the road but as if there's something wrong with the video sequence.

And, seriously: somebody runs away from you so you're going to go haring off into the brush after them waving sticks? What sort of way is that to behave?
Old 30 March 2017, 09:54 AM

Meh, I think it was just a person running.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Looked to me like he was wearing long shorts, but like you said it was a blurry and out of focus shaky-cam.
It looks to me as though he's more-or-less naked.
Old 30 March 2017, 04:15 PM

In the still in the OP it looks to me like he's wearing shorts, cuffed up at the bottom. For that matter, in that still he looks like he's wearing a hat.

-- what evidence, if any, do we have that the running person, whether dressed or naked, isn't a friend of the bikers, helping them stage the video? If he's naked, I don't think he's usually naked, as there's a difference in color around the buttocks area: if that's not pants, it's probably a relatively untanned area.

And it's pretty hard to judge the height of somebody crouched over and running.
Old 31 March 2017, 01:16 AM

The various differences in the ostensible colour of his skin or possible shorts just look like light and shade, to me, especially in the video rather than the still.

And of course we have no proof that he wasn't a friend of the bikers, pretending to be a lost tribesperson. But if he was, why would they have decided that wearing lycra shorts was a good look for the staged video?
Old 31 March 2017, 04:05 PM

If he is wearing lycra shorts, no, that wouldn't make any sense. (The shorts I think I see don't look like lycra to me, but that's not really the issue.) If the paler color around the buttocks is a difference in sun exposure, that would imply somebody who usually wears clothes over that area but who stripped off for the video.

I can't tell for sure whether I'm seeing clothing, or paler skin, or even light and shade patterns -- though if light and shade, it's odd that none of the different stills show paler skin elsewhere on the body, as the person would be moving in and out of any particular shade patch; but I didn't try going through the video frame by frame, maybe some of them do. But if we can't even agree on whether the figure's dressed or not, then the video's not clear enough to come to much in the way of other conclusions, either -- including how tall the person is.

Does anyone else think the running figure appears and disappears in an implausibly abrupt fashion? do you see it running into the brush, or just disappearing from the road? -- maybe, if I'm going to keep going on about this, I do need to try to go through it frame by frame.
Old 31 March 2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Does anyone else think the running figure appears and disappears in an implausibly abrupt fashion?
Um, obviously he just put on his ring and turned invisible. That is proof that he is a hobbit.