snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 26 October 2009, 07:46 AM

Default Umm . .

Um,

I beg greatly to dicker with all the assertions that this was faked. Just because the attack seemed to go on behind the van, it’s quite easy to see that there is a live human being being attacked. Number one, there is no continuity problem with the fact that you see the tourist start walking behind the van — the camera does NOT cut away — and in the first three still photos on the site at

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...9798/mondo.htm

they clearly show a MAN (first photo) being wrestled to the ground from behind. Is that mystery meat? In photo #2 It isn’t particularly clear but if you look carefully you can make out a man’s arm raised in a defensive posture as he’s being overwhelmed, and you see he’s making a fist. See, he’s wearing the same dark jacket as he was wearing just before he went behind the van.

And the camera operator probably wanted to stay behind the van because he was terrified he’d be next if the lions saw him. And I’ll bet the real reason there is no sound is because the soundtrack was possily more horrible than the video, so someone removed it. Would YOU like the world to hear your husband’s screams in the last moments of his life?

in #3 you can CLEARLY SEE A MAN’S ARM AND HAND, with the lion’s paw over the man’s shoulder, trying to bite the man’s face. You even make out that he’s wearing a watch. (Are you also going to tell me that’s a fake lion? A circus lion just playing? Maybe imported to this safari camp for this express purpose? Give me a break. You can’t Photoshop a video.)

Who’s to know why the cameraman gave a “reaction shot” — he’s probably in shock and forgetting to take the camera away from his face, possibly wondering why no one is doing anything.

And is that also a “fake” baby crying in shock and obvious horror?

Sorry, people. This really happened. Or perhaps the World Trade Center WASN’T attacked by nineteen Arab hijackers in planes — George Bush and the Jews planned it all to provoke a war with Iran.

And all the moon landing were made on an elaborate soundstage in Hollywood to get even with the Russians.

C’mon, people, use your intelligence.

Awhile back, on airliners.net, I saw an astonishing photo of a 747 seeming to be about to land on a beach.

Of course, everyone screamed “fake”!! Obviously fake! But it seems there’s an airport called Princess Juliana in St. Maarten (Google it) where the planes ALWAYS land like that. Once a 747’s wheels clipped the perimiter fence on the road abutting the beach. I have a whole DVD which shows these planes landing like that.

Honestly.

But I guess conspiracy theorists will only see what they want to see, but ignore reality.
Old 27 October 2009, 09:35 PM

oh my.....
Old 27 October 2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonbo View Post
But I guess conspiracy theorists will only see what they want to see, but ignore reality.
Yup. They sure do.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:08 PM

Icon401

I happen to know this is a conspiracy and a cover-up for something that happened during the filming of The Lion King. That's actually Matthew Broderick getting eaten.
Old 28 October 2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
You brought the lulz. Thank you. (But so did ganz, he totally OMANK.)

You've also earned yourself the non-sequitur of the year prize, wacky conspiracy guy! Congratulations!
Old 28 October 2009, 04:01 AM

wow... First of all tondo welcome to the boards, second of all, you obviously are new here if you think Snopesters are conspiracy theorists.

Also, you linked a Geocities site, ironically on the last day geocities was up.

my concern with the video is the lack of blood. a lion attacking the head like that would probabaly cause a bit of spurting as he got a hold of the carotid, but maybe not, debate on whether or not a video is real or not, is important, and kinda what we do here.
Old 28 October 2009, 05:18 AM

Roll eyes

Quote:
And I’ll bet the real reason there is no sound is because the soundtrack was possily more horrible than the video, so someone removed it. Would YOU like the world to hear your husband’s screams in the last moments of his life?
Right, I'd be just fine with the whole world seeing my spouse being killed and devoured by lions, as long as they couldn't hear what was going on.
Old 28 October 2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
And is that also a “fake” baby crying in shock and obvious horror?
He was likely reacting to something off camera. Or do you think that all babies or children crying in films are watching people getting killed/eaten/injured?
Old 29 October 2009, 02:22 AM

Icon18

Minstrel? Are your coworkers following you to the board when you leave your computer on?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 29 October 2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbyclaw View Post
Minstrel? Are your coworkers following you to the board when you leave your computer on?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Who's Minstrel?
Old 29 October 2009, 03:03 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbyclaw View Post

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Not if the posters address is corrrect. makes hir rather close to me
Old 29 October 2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He was likely reacting to something off camera. Or do you think that all babies or children crying in films are watching people getting killed/eaten/injured?
No, it was just COINCIDENCE. Yes, maybe someone was holding up a scary mask JUST THEN off camera to distract him while his father was being killed.

You're such a dork. There is truly no point in arguing with people like you -- you'll always come up with some childish non-sequitur to try to explain your pathetic theory.

Wait. Maybe aliens came down just at that moment! Yes, THAT was what the baby was crying about! No, it was a man in a George Bush mask! No, wait . . .

Yes, anything COULD have happened, dude, but that fact is, IT DIDN'T! It happened just the way it seems to have happened. There were no conspiracies, no scheming filmmakers, no Area 51, just a guy getting killed by lions. WHAT MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT TO ACCEPT THAT?

Such idiots. I don't know why I bother. I notice your pals haven't chimed in to refute my version of THE TRUTH. Where are they with their point-by-point rebuttal at my simple explanation of REALITY?

Huh? You seem to be the only pathetic loser.

GET A LIFE.
Old 29 October 2009, 12:20 PM
Vextas

And of course, victims of lion attacks always have their own IMDB page.. Search - Pit Dernitz (the supposed "victim")
It's fake. Was fake in 1975. Was fake in 2007, and is still fake now
Old 29 October 2009, 01:16 PM
Vextas

Just realised. The name "Pit Dernitz" is an anagram of the words - "D Prinze Trit."
Ok, albeit with an extra R In Italian, prinze can be used to describe a claw. Trit refers to the manufacturing of something, and D(e) means of.

"Of manufactured claw"

My Italian is a little rusty btw. Meh, make of it what you will. I think I need a new tin foil hat
Old 05 July 2012, 09:48 AM
nscd

Default Definitely fake IMHO

I can't believe anyone who's looked at the facts still believes this is real. As far as I'm concerned definitely a fake.

I'll try not to repeat too much of what has already been said, but here goes:

1. The location. There is no "Wallasee" in Angola or any country bordering Angola. Wallasee could be misspelt (Wallersee, Wallesee, Wallezee, etc.) but none of these exist either. However lots of place names in Africa have been changed since colonial withdrawal, so maybe it did exist at some point. I've also looked at various era maps (BTW oldmapsonline.org is a fantastic resource for this!) of Namibia, Angola, DRC and Zambia and have not noticed a "Wallasee" or anything similar to it on any of them, so I really don't think so.

2. Climate: Old Pit there is wearing long trousers, a blue jersey and a hat. The narrator in the video claims the incident took place at 9:25 am and as is clear from the clip it is a beautiful sunny day. Now Angola is a fairly warm place and February-March is the hottest time of the year. There isn't a location in or in close proximity to Angola where a white man from Belgium would wear a jersey at 9:25 am on a sunny day in February.

3. Wars. Two of them: The South African border war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Border_War). 1966-1989. There are no game parks on the Angola/Namibia border (which seems the most likely location based on the dutch-sounding Wallasee and the semi-arid vegetation) that would have been open to international tourists in 1975. It was a brutal ground war. Many landmines. At the same time, the Angolan war of independence was going on (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angolan...f_Independence) and affected all of Angola. Although technically independence was granted in January 1975, so by 18 February that would have quietened down somewhat, but still I doubt any game parks were operational and happily receiving tourists.

4. The number plates. In the clip I saw one number plate is clearly visible 210-909Y in black on yellow. I haven't been able to figure out where the number plate format in the clip comes from, but I've searched on various number plate sites (yes, there are sites like that) and it doesn't resemble anything used in Angola, Namibia, Zambia or DRC around the 70s. Did these tourists import their cars for the safari?

5. The cars. Even today, roads in game parks in this area are rarely passable without 4x4 vehicles, yet we see two 4x2 family station wagons who have driven at least partially into the bush. Extremely unlikely.

6. The cars vs terrain. The man gets out and we see him walking forward. There are no huge obstacles in this sequence and the terrain seems pretty flat an clear. In fact so flat and clear that he proceeds without really looking at where he's stepping. So the claim that the cars could not be used to scare of the lions is absolute rubbish. Also if your husband was being attacked by a lion, I don't think you would be too worried about damaging the car a bit in an effort to help him. Even if the terrain was very bad, you would at least try.

7. The lions' behaviour. Anyone who has seen what a lion can do up close will know that the way these lions are pushing the victim down and nibbling at limbs is just play. Lions don't nibble at live prey, they attack to kill and then eat the carcass. If the lion who originally jumped on the man had any intention to kill him he would probably have been dead before he hit the ground or within a second or two thereafter. The attack is very soft. There's even a sequence in the clip where a lioness pins the guy down on the floor by lying across his chest. Definitely not the behaviour of a lion trying to kill prey. I would encourage anyone who thinks this might be real to go study some footage of real lion kills. They go for the neck/throat as soon as they can and once they get hold of that they don't let go until the prey is dead. For a weak prey like this that would normally be no more than a few seconds.

8. Publicity. The makers of the film don't seem very keen on expressing opinion either way. If the clip was true, they would try to prove it's authenticity because this would increase its value. The fact that they shy away from the subject would indicate that it is false and they're glad for the bit of publicity that the real/fake speculation is creating.

9. Quality. The quality of the clip is simply too good for an amateur with a handheld camera in the mid-70s. I think most of us have probably seen home-made movies from this era, they are MUCH more shaky, MUCH less vivid and have FAR FEWER frames per second. Since this was featured in a film released late in 1975, the filming must have been fairly advanced recording equipment for the era and is almost certainly professionally done.

10. The "victim" doesn't fight dirty. If a lion attacks you and you're not already dead, you're not going to try to push it off with your forearm, you are going to punch, kick, poke at eyes, throw dust in eyes, grab for rocks or similar to hit it with etc. But this victim simply pushes tentatively at the lion with his arms. I don't think that's the behaviour of a man who thinks he's about to die.

There's more, but I'm getting tired. This video is fake and anyone who still doesn't think so, well... You may consider yourselves truth-challenged.
Old 13 August 2016, 07:05 AM

I'm thankful to have found these perfectly logical reasons for why this sequence would be fake. I came across the clip on YouTube many, many years ago, and have been having nightmares ever since. It actually made me nauseous, and the baby crying was horrifying.

Obviously it continued to disturb me or I would not be here looking it up nearly 10 years since the first post here about it.

All I can say, is, thank God that I can FINALLY relax about this insane clip, because I see the inconsistencies, now that they've been pointed out.

Thanks for taking the trouble to research this stuff. I have been stressed about this clip ever since I came across it.