snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 July 2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
But hey, I can see that making an elderly woman wait is a bit rude. But it's rude that he didn't bow to her? Jesus, are reporters just getting bored with finding actual terrible things he's done, and now they have to write about any dumb thing they can think of as long as it's trending on Twitter?
I certainly agree that it probably wasn't even the worst thing he did that hour, but would you be equally dismissive about someone who refused to shake hands with their counterpart? After all, it is just courtesy and tradition.
Old 15 July 2018, 02:50 PM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Anyone who thinks Trump doesn't think he's the most important person in the room hasn't been paying attention the last couple of years - or really the last couple of decades.
Donald Trump is a terrible human being and a worse President. But he is the President of the United States of America—both its head of government and its head of state. Who would be more important in a room with him?

Now, of course it’s terribly rude to keep a head of state waiting in her own country, I agree that it probably was deliberate (what with all the minions he and every other senior official has to keep his schedule), and if you can’t/won’t abide by protocol you might as well not seek or accept a visit, but that’s got nothing to do with being more or less important.
Old 15 July 2018, 03:32 PM

Roll eyes British Prime Minister Theresa May says Trump told her to sue the E.U. over Brexit

British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Sunday that President Donald Trump advised her to take legal action against the European Union rather than negotiate Britain's exit from the bloc.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/b...er-sue-n891516
Old 15 July 2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Another article I read said Trump was a little late but it seemed longer because the Queen was early.
I find that a little hard to beleive. Her shedule is normally adhered to, to the second.

Got a link?
Old 15 July 2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
I find that a little hard to beleive. Her shedule is normally adhered to, to the second.

Got a link?
No, sorry, I know I saw it on either google news or MSN but it's not obvious in a quick search. Lots of articles saying things like "it's not clear if the Queen was early..." so perhaps a writer took that info and ran with it. Anyway I couldn't help thinking well of course she was early it's her bloody house! Would anyone accuse a host of being early to their own damn party? Seems like a backhanded way of trying to find an excuse, however feeble, for Trump's behavior.
Old 15 July 2018, 05:26 PM

Even if the Queen did show up early, I don't see how that could possibly excuse 45 not even attempting to show up on time.
Old 15 July 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
But he is the President of the United States of Americaóboth its head of government and its head of state. Who would be more important in a room with him?
Almost any one else. And many presidents have had the humility and ability to separate the power of the office from themselves. Perhaps the President wields the most power, but that does not make him the most important person. The President can be replaced. That is why we also elect a vice-president.
Old 15 July 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Not for the tea, apparently:
Quote:
Britainís national news agency said they spent 47 minutes getting acquainted over tea inside the castle ó 17 minutes longer than scheduled.
Old 16 July 2018, 12:37 AM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Almost any one else. And many presidents have had the humility and ability to separate the power of the office from themselves. Perhaps the President wields the most power, but that does not make him the most important person. The President can be replaced. That is why we also elect a vice-president.
Most powerful people seem to be pretty good at making others around them feel good, even important when it suits them (though they may treat their staffs rather differently, I digress). That the put on an air of humility for those around them doesn’t mean they don’t still consider themselves "the most important person in the room" when they really are... the most important person in the room.

Speak softly, big stick, and all that jazz. Trump just doesn’t speak softly and I sometimes doubt has the opposable digits to wield a big stick effectively. He appears to thrive on posturing when he doesn’t need to. It makes him look like a cretin to some, but his base doesn’t care. Actually, I bet they love it.

With all that said, you’ll have a hard time convincing me that the Queen of England (and various other Commonwealth realms) is anywhere near the level of a POTUS. She may have been the nicer, more dignified of the two, but she is not, IMHO (and I believe by any objective measure too) the more important of the two.

Terrible people can still be important, after all.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Not only can be replaced, eventually will be replaced. To Trump's sorrow I am sure, he is not president for life .

Anyway aside from that, the defense that Trump is automatically the most important person in the room because he is the president of the US** is weakened IMO if the person making that argument would not be saying this if we are talking about Obama when he was president or Hilary Clinton should the 2016 election have gone the other way.

**and how US-centric does someone have to be to believe this is true no matter which country they are in or who else is being discussed
Old 16 July 2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I certainly agree that it probably wasn't even the worst thing he did that hour, but would you be equally dismissive about someone who refused to shake hands with their counterpart? After all, it is just courtesy and tradition.
I don't know how I'd respond in general since I can think of different scenarios where a handshake would be refused. But if, say, a world leader had brushed aside a Trump handshake after his weird behavior with the Japanese PM, yeah, I'd be dismissive of criticism of that leader.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:15 AM

That seems like a pretty different scenario, unless you know of some odd behavior the Queen has engaged in while people give her a slight head nod?
Old 16 July 2018, 01:31 AM

A handshake is mutual, a western bow is not. While a salute is not balanced, it is closer than a bow. (AIUI, the queen does not return the bow.)
Old 16 July 2018, 01:43 AM

The bow perpetuates the fantasy that the royal family is somehow chosen by God and rules by divine right. I don't care if anyone bows to the queen anymore than I care if they bow to Kim Jong-un or Mickey Mouse. Just because the royal family have maintained the fantasy for the longest doesn't make it any less of a fantasy.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:47 AM

Nothing I've read indicates that a bow or a curtsy are expected anymore. Simple common courtesy though wouldn't have come amiss. Him not bowing is a non-issue it's what he actually did that is the problem.

Quote:
There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms. For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way.
https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family
Old 16 July 2018, 01:55 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Anyway aside from that, the defense that Trump is automatically the most important person in the room because he is the president of the US** is weakened IMO if the person making that argument would not be saying this if we are talking about Obama when he was president or Hilary Clinton should the 2016 election have gone the other way.

**and how US-centric does someone have to be to believe this is true no matter which country they are in or who else is being discussed
Any sitting POTUS who has held office in living memory (and quite a few before, maybe even all of them) is more important than their contemporary British monarch(s). It’d be a closer call with the PMs given how both the office of POTUS and the position of PM have morphed and that the British monarchs still held (some) powers that faded only gradually into the 19th century and it has at times been blurred what the monarch is likely to do vs what they are permitted to do.

ETA: Certainly any UK PM who has held office in living memory is also more important than their monarch, whether they want to admit it or not.
Old 16 July 2018, 03:54 AM

Important - no. Wielding more power - yes. These are not equal.
Old 16 July 2018, 04:06 AM

In what sense do you consider the British monarch, who holds her largely ceremonial position by virtue of having been born, is more important?

I donít buy the replacability argument. Not that I think that should be a criteria we go off of, but letís not pretend the Queen is not also replaceable.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The bow perpetuates the fantasy that the royal family is somehow chosen by God and rules by divine right. I don't care if anyone bows to the queen anymore than I care if they bow to Kim Jong-un or Mickey Mouse. Just because the royal family have maintained the fantasy for the longest doesn't make it any less of a fantasy.
Why is he meeting with her at all? If he doesn't want to show respect to the Queen because of whatever reasons, then why agree to a bunch of ceremonial stuff that is otherwise meaningless in the first place?
Old 16 July 2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
In what sense do you consider the British monarch, who holds her largely ceremonial position by virtue of having been born, is more important?

I donít buy the replacability argument. Not that I think that should be a criteria we go off of, but letís not pretend the Queen is not also replaceable.
Because, Context.