snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 July 2018, 06:32 PM

I have a coworker who vapes tobacco and he blows out big clouds of smoke.

Another coworker was vaping CBD in the office (!) and no smoke.

Is this due to the device and/or the liquid?
Old 14 July 2018, 01:28 AM

I don't know exactly how the devices work, but it's not "smoke" at all, it's vapour, hence "vaping". Also, the vapour is created deliberately by the devices and is not integral to how they work.

The first e-cigarettes used to just put out a small amount of vapour, supposedly so that the people smoking them would feel as though they were smoking a cigarette. (If you've never smoked, you may not appreciate that the smoke itself is a part of the experience). They were supposed to be simulating a cigarette.

Current vaping devices, whatever they're now called, seem to be trying to simulate a nargileh or shisha or whatever. They release a huge cloud of flavoured vapour, as do nargilehs. Which is also very pleasant for those smoking them, and it's a lot less unpleasant for the people around than the equivalent amount of (for example) pipe or cigar smoke would be, but it's a deliberate part of the design, and is in no way necessary to the functioning of the device. It's all down to what they feel their customers want, and will buy.

Although I don't smoke or vape, I can understand why they made that decision - smoking a shisha can be a pleasant experience, and as I said, less unpleasant for bystanders than cigars or pipes (which are also pleasant for the smoker) and so it makes sense to try to reproduce that.
Old 14 July 2018, 05:54 PM

Where does one generally look when employing a backup camera? It just seems wrong to stare forward at a screen while the car is moving in the other direction. I've been going back and forth between camera and looking back.
Old 14 July 2018, 06:16 PM

Beachlife, that's what I do, although I'm getting more used to looking at the screen. It has a wider view than turning your head and looking straight back. But I still make a point of turning my head to look around before I start backing.

Have you realized yet that the video is mirror-imaged? It is one of those things that makes perfect sense, but I didn't realize it until I was reading up on the cameras before buying one to be installed on one of our cars. We perceive the screen image as an additional rearview mirror, so the image has to be flipped to match our expectations.
Old 14 July 2018, 06:19 PM

I did not realize that, my mind is blown. I will check it out next time I am backing up.
Old 14 July 2018, 06:23 PM

Stupid Trump question - he recently gave an interview to the UK based Sun paper (owned by Rupert Murdoch). Despite the paper being about as right wing as it gets he disavowed (at least initially - apparently someone told him there was a tape ) the content of the interview and whined "fake news" as he almost always does. My stupid question - how come he does this even when it's news sources that he chooses to grace with his presence because they are mostly pro-Trump? And why do these news sources continue to be pro-Trump when even they are accused of being "fake news"?
Old 14 July 2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Current vaping devices, whatever they're now called, seem to be trying to simulate a nargileh or shisha or whatever. They release a huge cloud of flavoured vapour, as do nargilehs. Which is also very pleasant for those smoking them, and it's a lot less unpleasant for the people around than the equivalent amount of (for example) pipe or cigar smoke would be
Whether it's less unpleasant for the people around them is going to depend a great deal on the person. I find most scented stuff somewhere between mildly annoying and extremely unpleasant, to the point of feeling like I'm choking.

I don't go into stores, or areas of larger stores, that are selling a lot of perfumed stuff if I can help it. And I once had to ask for a scented doohicky someone had put in the restroom of the town hall to be removed, because it was causing me significant problems where I was sitting on the far side of the meeting room which was down the hall from the bathroom.
Old 14 July 2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Where does one generally look when employing a backup camera? It just seems wrong to stare forward at a screen while the car is moving in the other direction. I've been going back and forth between camera and looking back.
I mounted my backup camera's screen just below the rear window on my pickup truck. So I can do both.
Old 14 July 2018, 08:50 PM

I've been thinking that's the right place for it.

My new car is a Prius which as the dashboard all the way up under the windshield, almost centered. At first it was strange, but I realized it makes more sense as it keeps my eyes on the road.
Old 15 July 2018, 09:19 PM

What percentage of the universe, by volume, is space? IE, how much of the universe is star, planets, comets, etc?
Old 15 July 2018, 09:23 PM

Psychic

Well that depends on how you’re counting dark matter. And how about energy? Dark energy?

I assume we’re limiting this to the observable universe? I mean, who's to say what lies beyond? You know, some people think the reason the rate of expansion of the universe is increasing is due to the vacuum of space itself, but others aren’t so sure...
Old 15 July 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I mounted my backup camera's screen just below the rear window on my pickup truck. So I can do both.
Ah, so on yours, the image would not be reversed, because you turn around and use it like a special wide-angle window rather than a mirror.
Old 16 July 2018, 12:27 AM

I would count all matter but not energy. If we count energy, then the universe would be 100% "full". And observable (or deducable) universe.

Correct. The camera system I have can display either reversed or normal images.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I would count all matter but not energy.
Seems legit:

https://people.cs.umass.edu/~immerma.../universe.html

But you’ll probably want to talk with an astrophysicist or something.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:19 AM

Driver

What is the attraction for people to get silver, grey, or white cars? I'd think that those colors would be close to the color of the road and make the car less visible. A white car is quite difficult to spot in a dense fog, as is grey and silver. Shouldn't we all have lime green and yellow cars for visibility?

Morning
once had a purple car.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:28 AM

Morning, I have a silver Civic because it was a used car of the right type in the right age range and my mechanic had been taking care of it and vouched for its condition and upkeep.

That's not going to help you much, though. If I were buying a new car I'd choose color for visibility, and if possible for an uncommon color so I wouldn't keep trying to get into the wrong car in parking lots; though I think insurance companies sometimes charge extra for some colors, which if true might also be an issue.

I'm not sure the same colors show up best in all lighting conditions, though. Or on all roads. Some of the roads around here are indeed light grey, but some are almost black. (And some are dirt, which around here is brownish; but dirt roads usually slow traffic down.)
Old 16 July 2018, 02:05 AM

I don't know about insurance companies, but many car companies now charge extra if you want, say, red paint.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:25 AM

I don't think I've ever picked the color of a car I've purchased. Even when I bought new cars there was often a packaged which only worked with a very limited range of colors. That is how I got the silver car I owned long ago. My last few cars have all been used. Color was the least of my criteria so it never came up.

When I bought my Prius, a couple days ago, there was another Prius that had a very cool green color, but it didn't meet up all of my requirements.
Old 16 July 2018, 03:47 AM

One attraction to silver would be that it wouldn't show dirt like white, but wouldn't fade like darker colors.
Old 16 July 2018, 04:30 AM

My dad told me to buy a white car because it reflects heat.

(I bought a red car because I like color.)