snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 06 July 2018, 07:58 PM

Glasses

We would have to go down to the third floor. Except right at the moment, we can't go to the third floor because the of the construction. That means we'd have to go to the second floor--which had its own alarm issues that day.

They told us in the explanatory message that if you can hear the alarm, you should evacuated. We couldn't hear the fourth floor alarm except at the top of a stair case going only to the 4th floor, and never did hear the alarms on the first and second floors.

I was in this very building during the Nisqually earthquake and it was easy to get out of (there are 7 staircases), although I ended up behind a locked gate where the only way out was to go under a bridge. And the place we were supposed to gather was next to a glass wall. It wasn't an issue, since none of the windows broke, but they immediately changed the location.

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I was hoping there was some kind of website that listed band names, just to see if the ones I've made up, exist in some form. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a website like that.
Can't you just Google them?
Old 07 July 2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
However, in a five-story building, if the adjacent floors also evacuate, then floor 5 should get out for an alarm on floor 4, no? But do they go down (and through floor 4), or up to the roof?
I'll be honest; normally speaking, a 5-story building wouldn't be classified as a high-rise, and therefore wouldn't fall under those guidelines. Why this one is so classified, I don't know. Typically, high-rises start at 7 stories and (no pun intended) go up from there:

Quote:
Paragraph 3.3.36.7 of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, 2012 edition, defines a high-rise building as a building more than 75 feet (23 meters) in height, measured from the lowest level of fire department vehicle access to the floor of the highest occupiable story. A height of 75 feet translates into roughly seven stories.
A building with... unusually tall stories that meets the height requirement, but has 5 or fewer stories, that "fire floor plus the one above and below" rule starts to make less and less sense. But again, there may be good reasons to so treat the structure. Not everything fits neatly into a nicely-defined cubbyhole, alas (speaking from an AHJ perspective).

Evacuation routes would have to be defined according to the floor plan and environment. Usually, there would be requirements for a sufficient number of protected stairwells to evacuate the floors, even if the only "obvious" way would be up. Really, it gets complicated. Plan review for life safety and fire alarm is very complicated, these days. Even general statements are misleading and uninformative.
Old 07 July 2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
The microwave broke at work and now the break room smells of burnt plastic.
I broke my microwave/convection oven at home. Completely my fault and I shouldn't beat myself up about it cause of my medical condition it is understandable*.

I have a bit of money to spend now so replacing it isn't as big a deal as it was a few weeks ago. It is still money I would rather not spend. And it is annoying not having a microwave, for reheating and defrosting if nothing else.

Oh well will have to make a trip to the outlets stores next week. I have a few things to buy.

*You need to remove the rack you need for convection when you use it on microwave and I forgot.

Last edited by Dasla; 07 July 2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07 July 2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
However, I gather that these were occupied units so there would be no reason to test late at night. Thus I would think it was either a false alarm or a fault in the system.
Yes that is my guess to. The one across the road was built a year or tow ago and is only residential. So I am thinking the 1:30am one was a false alarm the may have raised some issues. The one down the road (at the bus stop) that went of during the day, was opened this year and while it has a few businesses (a cinema and mostly restaurants) It is mostly high rise apartments. Three blocks of over ten stories. So I am thinking the second alarm was them testing it due to issues raised by the first alarm.
Old 07 July 2018, 03:09 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Can't you just Google them?
I could and did, but Id still kind of like to see a website that collected band names, just to see the kinds that have been used.
Old 07 July 2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Even general statements are misleading and uninformative.
True in a lot of areas, actually.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07 July 2018, 02:33 PM

The hospital I previously worked for had fire containment doors- so if there was a fire alarm, you were not supposed to leave, you were supposed to close your door and stay in place. The idea was that the fire would be contained to the originating location and everyone else would stay safe since their doors were supposedly fire resistant. It also meant that patients, especially those inpatient, would not need to be evacuated. I wonder if your building had that too and that is why not all floors would evacuate.
Old 07 July 2018, 04:24 PM

Fire doors and fire/smoke containment are all covered in the building codes. Usually the size of the building dictates the amount of containment. For example, a 10 story office with about 20,000 square feet per floor would require fire doors and smoke dampers around the paths of egress, i.e. the stairwells. A hospital of the same size (actually that is not a good size for a hospital because of many other design constraints) would have different requirements. ICU needs to be isolated as does the OR, etc. etc
Old 08 July 2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I was hoping there was some kind of website that listed band names, just to see if the ones I've made up, exist in some form. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a website like that.
Have you tried LastFM?
Old 08 July 2018, 09:23 PM

A squirrel (I assume) stole one of the first ripe tomatoes off my tomato plants. And it pulled off a green one too, just to add insult to injury.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A squirrel (I assume) stole one of the first ripe tomatoes off my tomato plants. And it pulled off a green one too, just to add insult to injury.
And it probably didn't eat the whole thing, which makes it even more annoying. A friend grows tomatoes on her balcony and the squirrels would steal tomatoes, take a few bites and leave the rest behind. The other annoying thing was they would dig up her leafy greens, not to eat the greens, but to bury their nuts. She now has created mesh hats for all her pots.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:57 PM

If a squirrel started stealing my tomatoes, I would probably set a trap. I don't mess around with my tomatoes.
Old 09 July 2018, 03:04 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
My best friend's mother had an ongoing battle with chipmunks over strawberries. At least once one of them sat on their back patio and stared at them while it ate a strawberry.

In your case perhaps you should be echoing Bugs Bunny. "Of course you realize this means war." I would not be ruling out tactical nuclear weaponry.
Old 09 July 2018, 08:00 PM

Made chicken in the slow cooker. I had to add a bit of water (I didn't measure) to make sure the chicken was covered. I'm worried it will be watery and tasteless. It's chicken cacciatore. Maybe later if it still looks bad I'll defrost some sauce from the freezer and add it just so the broth is less sad.
Old 09 July 2018, 08:09 PM

Do you have a bouillon cube to drop in?
Old 09 July 2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Our black lab would take the green tomatoes off the vine once they got big and run around the yard with them thinking they were tennis balls. Then he would drop them in disgust when he realized his mistake.

And then later he would do it again, apparently forgetting his mistake the first 50 times.

He didn't think cucumbers were tennis balls, but he would also take those as well. He just loved to eat them. Unfortunately, he often took the whole vine with him.

I had more garden problems with that dog than I did with the 8 million bunnies in our neighborhood...
Old 10 July 2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
Our black lab would take the green tomatoes off the vine once they got big and run around the yard with them thinking they were tennis balls. Then he would drop them in disgust when he realized his mistake....
There was something a lab wouldn't eat? Knock me down with a feather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
He didn't think cucumbers were tennis balls, but he would also take those as well. He just loved to eat them. Unfortunately, he often took the whole vine with him.

I had more garden problems with that dog than I did with the 8 million bunnies in our neighbourhood.
Our last Labrador would eat the banana skins and egg shells Dad would put on a certain type of fern. But she would go through the garden like a bull dozer to get to them, stepping on small plants and barging through others. In the end Dad decided it wasn't worth it.

But since we were talking about strawberries... she would also eat the strawberries. One day I was out with her when she picked up the strawberry but couldn't bite it off the plant and spat it back out again, completely unharmed. None the less, it had been in her mouth so I gave it to her. I did wonder how many strawberries we had eaten the had been in her mouth before hand. We had more problems with her than her then we did with the kangaroos. Well at least we had less problems with kangaroos after the garden was behind a fence.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Do you have a bouillon cube to drop in?
I did not, but luckily the meal turned out tasting pretty good anyway, regardless of watery sauce. I think next time I'd use less chicken and therefore need less water to cover up the solids. I went for the upper end of what the recipe called for re: chicken lb count.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:27 PM

Glasses

My sister's dog picks and eats strawberries, and my father had a dog that ate raspberries. Unfortunately, the dog also developed a taste for chicken on the claw.

Seaboe