snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 24 June 2018, 08:24 PM

Default Car Racing

Okay, it's official. Indy Car and NASCAR drivers are better than F1 drivers. Both Indy Car and NASCAR, both on road courses today, made it through the first several laps without a crash. F1 didn't make it through the first corner. And NASCAR has windshield wipers fitted.

Back to watching NASCAR.
Old 24 June 2018, 08:30 PM

Give them a break. Turning is tricky.
Old 24 June 2018, 08:33 PM

The Indycars barely had an incident in the entire race today.

But a couple of weeks ago the pace car crashed before the race so there's that.
Old 24 June 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Give them a break. Turning is tricky.
NASCAR guys are doing great. The first incident caution just occurred about half way through the race. One of the drivers missed a shift and blew the engine. Of course NASCAR is the only group that uses a real shift lever. Those other sissies have little paddles to change gears.
Old 24 June 2018, 11:46 PM

Driver

Wake me when the last 10 laps of a NASCAR race doesn't take an hour to complete.

~Psihala
Old 25 June 2018, 12:25 AM

I think it's been a decade or more since I bothered to watch an F1 race. Aside from usually being on at a weird hour, the feed is always terrible, and when you combine it with racing that is usually pretty boring, it's not worth the effort to get up early or record it to watch later.

NASCAR, Indy, and rallying are at least fun to watch.
Old 25 June 2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Wake me when the last 10 laps of a NASCAR race doesn't take an hour to complete.

~Psihala
Took only 12 minutes +/- today.
Old 25 June 2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I think it's been a decade or more since I bothered to watch an F1 race. Aside from usually being on at a weird hour, the feed is always terrible, and when you combine it with racing that is usually pretty boring, it's not worth the effort to get up early or record it to watch later.

NASCAR, Indy, and rallying are at least fun to watch.

ESPN has taken over F1 this year. After the first event which was excruciatingly terrible with commercials inserted on timed intervals rather than by breaks in the action, they are now very good. ESPN uses the Sky TV feed without any commercials. Sky TV seems to have hired every former British F1 driver to do the commentary and interviews. Check ESPN2 for the rebroadcast tonight. It will have commercials but with absolutely no loss of the original transmission.

Where can you find rally on TV anymore?
Richard, Car 701 in the old SCCA ProRally series and Rally America series.
Old 25 June 2018, 05:13 AM

Long time F1 fan here. I haven't seen the last race yet, so I can't specifically comment (and I won't spend much time in this thread cos spoilers :-) ). It has been a long time since there has been a race at that circuit though. Most (all?) of the drivers will never have started an F1 race there at all. I guess that can lead to a bit of unpredictability for the first little bit :-)
Old 25 June 2018, 07:05 AM

Major issue seemed to be that because there was a very big run-off area, drivers seemed to throw caution to the wind in that if they misjudged, the run-off would save them. Run-off areas don't help if there is another car between you and the run-off area.
Old 25 June 2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Took only 12 minutes +/- today.
Well, it was a road course instead of an oval (or tri-oval).

~Psihala
(*For the longest time I was convinced NASCAR should just set off pyrotechnics somewhere along the track randomly during the last 10 laps... Half of whoever was left in the field wasn't going to finish the race anyhow, so may as well make a bigger show of it...)
Old 25 June 2018, 02:06 PM

Driver

I thought Indy cars and Formula 1s were the same thing. Guess not.
Old 25 June 2018, 02:23 PM

They are very similar and the differences are slight to someone not following open wheel racing. Although it hasn't always been like this, F1s are a more open class and run only on road courses while Indy cars are restricted in the chassis and engine they can use. Indy cars run 'oval' tracks too (ovals, squarish, trianglish).
Old 25 June 2018, 02:34 PM

Driver

Thank you! The more I know....
Old 25 June 2018, 04:23 PM

I only watched the French GP yesterday. It was considerably more interesting than the Canadian GP where I fell asleep during my attempt to watch it.
I don't get to watch much Indy car racing, and I don't watch NASCAR at all, even on road tracks. (Although I love to bring up Dan Gurney winning 4 or 5 NASCAR Riverside events, essentially a hometown race for him, and usually his only NASCAR race of the year).
I watch F1, mostly because I am Ferrari fan (this is the only sport where I root for a possible favorite, really, since I try not to watch the NFL anymore.)
It is hard to do, three teams this year have a chance to win, if there are no crashes. F1 tends to get younger drivers Verstappen for instance, and they often overdo it. I loved Sato winning the Indy 500 because I remember him in his younger days, often overdoing it on the F1 circuit. Many races get decided in qualifying or with pit stop strategies not with actual driving.
The fun part yesterday was the level of passing, a far cry from the Canadian GP.

Ali
Old 26 June 2018, 01:42 PM

TV

For you NASCAR fans, Dale Jr will be an announcer on NBCSN starting on July 1.
Old 26 June 2018, 03:55 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
...I loved Sato winning the Indy 500 because I remember him in his younger days, often overdoing it on the F1 circuit. Many races get decided in qualifying or with pit stop strategies not with actual driving...
I've long been a fan of Sato because of his 'overdoing it' style. I was so happy too see him win the Indy 500. Our seats are right across from Winner's circle so it was cool to see him celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Many races get decided in qualifying or with pit stop strategies not with actual driving...
This is so true, especially for road courses. Any driver in a good car can make up from a bad starting position on an oval. The better drivers, Scott Dixon as an example, can recover form a bad starting position on any course.
Old 26 June 2018, 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=RichardM;1981715]ESPN uses the Sky TV feed without any commercials. Sky TV seems to have hired every former British F1 driver to do the commentary and interviews. Check ESPN2 for the rebroadcast tonight. It will have commercials but with absolutely no loss of the original transmission.[\QUOTE]

I didn't know that - whoever was broadcasting it in the past used the "world feed" which was terrible. AIUI the announcers here sometimes weren't even at the event. That said, I gave up on most F1 years ago simply because it was boring compared to just about any other racing.

Quote:
Where can you find rally on TV anymore?
Nowhere as far as I know. Like any other racing, I usually catch bits on the internet. I have so little free time to just sit and watch television that I'm reluctant to spend much of it watching sports of any kind anymore.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:39 PM

F1 of Germany was quite interesting yesterday.
Old 24 July 2018, 04:10 AM

Hamilton sure did pull the rabbit’s foot on that one. Both on the stewards doing nothing about his pit road misstep, and Vettel hitting the tire wall. It was Vettel’s race to lose, and lose it he did.

I see the rule makers are considering going to 18" wheels, and getting rid of those silly tire blankets.