snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 March 2018, 04:52 PM

My parents old house had a low clearance point as you came down the stairs. As I grew up, I learned to duck. Every time I went to visit after I had moved away, I would hit my head at least once.

Then there was the time I was inspecting a medical building. It had an accessible interstitial space above the labs where all the pipes and ducts ran. There were 3 of us on the trip, me at 6'2", Roger at 6'6" and George at 5' something. Guess who didn't know how to duck.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:01 PM

The people who owned my house before me decided to put a shelf in the garage at exactly the right height for a person of average height to bang their head on just to the right of the door as you enter the garage. That's also the direction you need to walk to get to the washer and dryer or the driver's side of my car or the trash/recycling bins. So I just instinctively duck whenever I go in there now, but it gets visitors pretty much every time.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:57 PM

Glasses

When I bought my house, there was a sign in the stairwell (added well after the house was built) that said "Low Bridge, duck head". Even though that stairwell is long gone, I kept the sign.

Seaboe
Old 19 March 2018, 05:38 PM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
When I bought my house, there was a sign in the stairwell (added well after the house was built) that said "Low Bridge, duck head". Even though that stairwell is long gone, I kept the sign.

Seaboe
Please tell me that it had on it a picture of the head of a duck!
Old 19 March 2018, 07:47 PM

Glasses

Sadly, no pictures. Just text.

Although now I want to see a "low overhead" sign that just shows a duck head.

Seaboe
Old 08 April 2018, 01:44 PM

Feeling overwhelemed last minute is the natural and expected consequence of putting off preparing for something. :sigh:

I feel like I'm having a really hard time "getting ahead" of where I need to be, preparedness-wise. It's as though I only have enough energy to do exactly what needs to be done for the next day, and to expend any further effort is unbearable. I'm not sure why.
Old 09 April 2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Please tell me that it had on it a picture of the head of a duck!
I was expecting a scene from a classic Warner Brothers cartoon: Duck your head: Gina Lollobrigida.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:48 AM

Do not put your cell phone in your bedroom when you're sleeping. Otehrwise, you can and will be woken up when it has something to tell you (such as when the charge is about to run out).
Old 13 May 2018, 12:22 PM

I use mine as an alarm, but all those other notifications used to really annoy me as well (far more than the alarm) until I realised there was a "do not disturb" mode, and you can also set most of the apps not to give notifications between particular times, or only notify you when specifically referenced by name, or something. Although mine also has an annoying habit of turning its light on for no readily apparent reason when it's finished charging, which is usually half an hour or so after I've plugged it in, and so just when I'm at the right sleep level for it to wake me up.

If you use Slack (or, to a lesser extent, WhatsApp) it pretty much forces you to work out how to stop your phone from constantly bleeping when you don't want it to!
Old 13 May 2018, 03:38 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Although mine also has an annoying habit of turning its light on for no readily apparent reason when it's finished charging, which is usually half an hour or so after I've plugged it in, and so just when I'm at the right sleep level for it to wake me up.
I leave mine in the bathroom and now make sure to leave it face down. Otherwise the bathroom lights up like an alien encounter when I get a mail during that short time between going to bed and do not disturb time. The phone is set to silent anyway, so it doesn't make any noise, but the light!
Old 13 May 2018, 04:33 PM

I just turned off all notifications on my phone except text messages and calls years ago.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:22 PM

Facebook

I have my phone set to silent but people hardly ever ring me so it's almost a moot point anyway. I can seriously go a week without a single call or text.

I sent a Facebook message to a friend of mine at about 4am one time and I was surprised when she replied almost immediately, especially considering it was a school night and she has two young kids. We started chatting and after a bit I realised that I'd woken her up when I messaged her and it turned out that she had her phone set to alert her if she got any FB messages overnight which was not something I was expecting at all. It's especially odd when you consider that people usually have FB friends all over the world who are often in completely different time zones.
Old 13 May 2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
Do not put your cell phone in your bedroom when you're sleeping. Otehrwise, you can and will be woken up when it has something to tell you (such as when the charge is about to run out).
I wish mine could give me a ring or beep *only* when it needs charging. I almost always have my phone on vibrate unless I'm expecting an important call. But that means that all notifications are also on vibrate and I'm likely to miss them if I'm not near the phone. I have an Android phone and as far as I know, there's no feature to select which notifications you want on vibrate and which you want a tone for -- it seems to be either all or nothing in terms of volume. (It's possible this feature exists and I just can't find it.)
Old 13 May 2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I just turned off all notifications on my phone except text messages and calls years ago.
Which is great if the people who might be contacting you actually use those means of communication...
Old 13 May 2018, 07:23 PM

My phone is on DND from 9 pm to 7 am. There are maybe 6 numbers that are allowed to ring through during that time.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:05 PM

France

Gérard, yesterday was a bank holiday. So it's no wonder that the operations you did since friday are not yet on your bank statement.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:19 PM

Working yourself up into a lot of stress and anxiety and not talking to anyone about the thing you're worried about, including with the people with control over that issue, made you suffer unnecessarily. It turned out to be good news instead of bad news when you worked yourself up to asking.
Old 08 June 2018, 09:52 PM

Glasses

Electric shopping cart/scooters have HAND brakes, not foot pedal brakes!

Morning
No damage except to my dignity occurred.
Old 25 June 2018, 05:14 PM

Jaded

We have discussed this Dawn! Many times. But let's go over it again shall we: having to hire a maid to come and clean the house is NOT a sign of laziness on your part! Yes, you're able-bodied, but DH is not and can no longer help you the way he used to, so you've had to take on extra chores. Plus, you work and even though it's part-time, you are out of the house 32 hours a week and sure as hell don't feel like doing housework when you get home!
If it makes you feel better, help out the maid you'll eventually get around to calling by decluttering.
Old 25 June 2018, 06:53 PM

When someone on your neighborhood page posts that they have a free antique pirate style chest which will go out with the garbage unless someone wants it. Don't waste the 30 minutes it will take you to walk over and have a look.