snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 22 May 2018, 11:36 PM

Default New York judge orders man, 30, to move out of family home after parents sue

A judge has ordered a 30-year-old man in New York state to move out of his parentsí house, after a short legal battle.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...0-parents-home
Old 23 May 2018, 12:46 PM

Oh, great, he was weapons.
Old 23 May 2018, 12:51 PM

What concerned me was the parents didn't seem to know for sure if he actually had any weapons. I don't care how old someone is if they are living in MY house I expect to know whether they have guns in their possession.

I'd like to defend this guy because there may be a history with the parents that we know nothing about but frankly it sounds like their only mistake was letting him move back home in the first place.
Old 23 May 2018, 01:29 PM

Whatever the history is with the parents, I'm having trouble imagining one that requires them to either live with an adult descendent indefinitely, or, I suppose, move out themselves and abandon their home to him.

I mean, I can imagine scenarios in which their child raising and/or current behavior made it difficult or impossible for him to get work and/or get his own living space; but in that case, how would having him keep living with them help any of them get out of that situation? Wouldn't it make more sense to get him out of there as fast as possible? -- plus which, if there were anything of that sort I would think it would have come up in court.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:44 PM

Not knowing the specifics of this family of course but it's not particularly unusual in some cultures (in situations I know personally, Italian families) for adult children to continue to live at home until marriage - and sometimes even after marriage. What is unusual of course is for an adult child to continue to live at home after they've been asked to leave - and after being served eviction notices .
Old 23 May 2018, 03:09 PM

It's very common in some cultures, and a perfectly reasonable thing even in ours, for adult children to continue to live long term with their parents -- presuming that all parties are willing to do so. The problem isn't that he's 30 and living in his parents' house; the problem is that he's an adult insisting on living with people who don't want to share living quarters with him.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:39 PM

Glasses

I have to wonder why they think this will be any more effective than their previous attempts. Are they intending to have the sheriff physically remove him?

Seaboe
Old 23 May 2018, 06:43 PM

Maybe. My guess is they went to court because they couldn't think of anything else to do.

ETA: Maybe they were hoping he'd be intimidated and do what the judge told him to do.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:54 PM

I wondered if they were hoping to shame him into moving. Based on the article it doesn't sound like that worked though if that was the case.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:59 PM

Seriously, what else could they do? Just accept that he was going to live there forever? Move out and let him have their house?
Old 23 May 2018, 07:03 PM

I can't help wondering if the son has been physically threatening in some way as I can't understand how the parents weren't able to change the locks on the doors and throw his stuff out on the lawn. Of course this is assuming that he must leave the house once in awhile.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I can't help wondering if the son has been physically threatening in some way as I can't understand how the parents weren't able to change the locks on the doors and throw his stuff out on the lawn. Of course this is assuming that he must leave the house once in awhile.
Doing that would subject them to lawsuits if he hadn't been evicted by the court. I really have to wonder what's going on between him and the parents to let it get to this point. He defended himself, so I think the old adage applies, but what about the parents?
Old 23 May 2018, 07:47 PM

It sounds like they either had to, or chose to, go through legal eviction procedures. Depending on the laws in your jurisdiction, a family member can become a tenant in some circumstances. They also might indeed need the sheriff to help them.

It isn't really clear from the article, but it sounds like it might be worrisome after he and his weapons are evicted. Having him formally, legally, evicted might help make the legal issues more clear for the future.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I have to wonder why they think this will be any more effective than their previous attempts. Are they intending to have the sheriff physically remove him?
Quite possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I can't help wondering if the son has been physically threatening in some way as I can't understand how the parents weren't able to change the locks on the doors and throw his stuff out on the lawn.
That may well be illegal if they haven't gone through the court eviction procedure first.

Once somebody's established residency, New York State has quite strong legal protections to prevent them from being kicked out without due process of law.

ETA: spanked twice!
Old 23 May 2018, 07:54 PM

Global websites see Camillus son's eviction as a joke; 7 reasons why it's serious

Reasons 1 and 2 are "Rotondo has a gun" and "there's a small child involved":

Quote:
Michael Rotondo said he is trying to regain custody or visitation of his young son. He lost all rights after a trial in 2017, he said. In his appeal, he said he argued that he was wrongfully denied status as a "poor person." That argument allowed him to appeal the order that denied him contact with his child, he told Syracuse.com. If he accepted cash from his parents, or got a job, that would undercut his argument that he is actually poor, he reasoned. After refusing money or help from his parents, they ordered him out, he said. They cut off his cell phone, and stopped providing food and laundry services, he said. That's what launched the eviction proceeding.
Also:

Quote:
At one point, the judge felt there might be an opening for reconciliation between parents and son, asking them to consider talking face-to-face while the judge waited. But Michael Rotondo rebuffed that suggestion, sticking to his legal arguments. That left Greenwood with no choice but to come down hard.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:41 AM

So to get visitation rights to his son, he has to be a deadbeat?
That's his argument?

Also, he says he can't accept money from them... but then this
Quote:
Michael Rotondo said that he took their money to pay for various expenses, but did not leave.
Old 24 May 2018, 12:47 PM

More like he has to be a deadbeat to qualify for free legal representation to get his son back. Being deliberately broke is unlikely to help him get custody, but that hasn't occurred to him. Or maybe he doesn't really care about getting access to his son.
Old 24 May 2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
More like he has to be a deadbeat to qualify for free legal representation to get his son back. Being deliberately broke is unlikely to help him get custody, but that hasn't occurred to him. Or maybe he doesn't really care about getting access to his son.
I would imagine that his legal fight over his son is more a power thing with his ex than any care for the son. At least from what I've read about him.
Old 24 May 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

I feel very sorry for his parents. I'm sure this isn't how they thought their son would turn out. He seems very self-centered and without sympathy or empathy.

Seaboe
Old 24 May 2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
IME, being broke is usually a tactic some derriere chapeau use to get out of paying child support, not to get custody. That's the main reason why I'm so puzzled at his statement that he was "denied status as a poor person".