snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 July 2018, 05:58 PM

Default Stupid questions

Why did snopes routinely close threads that had exceeded 1,000 posts?

Just in case it is still a valid reason, I'm creating a new thread.
Old 02 July 2018, 06:19 PM

Heavt breathing

How many miles do professional soccer players run in one game? I've seen some of the World Cup highlights and I get tired just watching the players. For those who think soccer is a sissy game, just look at the running involved! That on top of kicking, dodging, etc.
A pro soccer game is 90 seconds isn't it?
Old 02 July 2018, 06:20 PM

Wasn't it something to do with affecting the performance of the boards (in days when they used to be busier)? Possibly affecting the indexing perhaps, especially if the long thread moved fast and had to be indexed frequently...

I've seen other similar boards with much longer threads, but maybe they had more server power dedicated to them, or some other factor meant that it was less of an issue there.

If it was a performance thing, presumably it matters less now that threads don't move quickly and there are fewer visitors.
Old 02 July 2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
How many miles do professional soccer players run in one game? I've seen some of the World Cup highlights and I get tired just watching the players. For those who think soccer is a sissy game, just look at the running involved! That on top of kicking, dodging, etc.
A pro soccer game is 90 seconds isn't it?
The highest average for the World Cup (as of Monday 25th, so it's a bit out of date) was 8.3km per player for Russia:

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...st-and-fastest

Apparently FIFA have full stats for each player somewhere, but I haven't found the full list yet. But the leading player at the moment is Christian Eriksen of Denmark, who's run 51km in 4 games, so 12km per game on average.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/

It presumably depends on their position which players run furthest - the goalies aren't going to have high scores whereas midfielders will be up and down the pitch the whole time.

Also bear in mind that not all players play the whole match, and also the times vary because of added time and extra time. A standard game is 90 minutes long (as you say, if you meant minutes not seconds!) but there's typically 3 minutes or so of additional time on each half (which varies depending how many stops there've been in play) and for the World Cup, if there's no clear winner after 90 minutes, there's up to half an hour of extra time.

So Christian Eriksen has apparently played for 390 minutes over those 4 games - 97.5 minutes per game, so he was on for the whole of all the matches - which means an average of 0.13 km per minute, or an average of 7.8 km / hour for 6.5 hours if he was running continuously...

(eta) That's actually just under 5mph, so it would be a fast walk if he was moving constantly - although I can't keep that walking pace up for that long. But of course it will be in bursts and stops and starts, so he'll be running a lot faster during the time he's actually running. I'm not sure you can usefully get an average speed from those numbers. To be honest I'm not even sure if they track all movement or only when the players are running. I guess it must be all movement, to avoid subjectivity.
Old 02 July 2018, 07:18 PM

I doubt anyone is calling soccer a sissy sport based on fitness levels. One could argue whether basketball or soccer players are more fit, but there is no question that the average soccer player is extremely fit.

I think the sissy comments come more from the dives and feigning injury that plagues the soccer world.
Old 03 July 2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... and for the World Cup, if there's no clear winner after 90 minutes, there's up to half an hour of extra time.
That's only true in the second part of the tournament, when each match decides wich one of the teams has go go home, and which one goes on to the next round.

In the first part of the tournament (and in regular soccer league matches), the match can end i a draw. A draw counts for one point for each team, while a win gives three points to the winning team.

[/nitpicking]
Old 03 July 2018, 12:21 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post

I think the sissy comments come more from the dives and feigning injury that plagues the soccer world.
They do tend to be drama queens based on what I've seen.

So this Danish player runs an average of 8 miles in one game?! Wow!
Wonder how that compares to American football players and NBA players?
Old 03 July 2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
That's only true in the second part of the tournament, when each match decides wich one of the teams has go go home, and which one goes on to the next round.
True, I did mean the knockout part. Also, I think it's (at least) 30 minutes (plus stoppage time) rather than "up to" 30 minutes, as I think they play all of the extra time now rather than stopping after the first deciding goal as they used to, don't they? I'm not sure about that because the only game I've seen so far that's gone into extra time, nobody scored and it went to penalties.

Just enjoying the last few hours in the sun before England gets knocked out... Not been paying much attention; how did Germany do this year (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...)?
Old 03 July 2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
They do tend to be drama queens based on what I've seen.

So this Danish player runs an average of 8 miles in one game?! Wow!
Wonder how that compares to American football players and NBA players?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...ent-sports/amp. No one comes close to soccer players. NFL players primarily stand around. NBA players can run a lot, but still much less than soccer players.
Old 03 July 2018, 03:11 PM

An NBA game is about half the time of a soccer game and the court is less than one third as long. Frankly, I'm surprised that there is that much running in basketball. I do wonder at the writer's definition of sprinting though. Unless a player is on a breakaway or trying to stop one, there isn't that much sprinting in an NBA game.

Note that a certain NBA player should get extra credit as he has to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court.
Old 03 July 2018, 04:17 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...ent-sports/amp. No one comes close to soccer players. NFL players primarily stand around. NBA players can run a lot, but still much less than soccer players.
Back in the early 80s, when Cats was playing at the Kennedy Center, a local sports anchorman put some of the cast up against some of the Redskins team. The cast and the players were given various fitness tests, and while the 'Skins players scored high marks on weight lifting, the Cats cast beat 'em eight ways from Sunday in everything else: flexibility, fitness level, endurance, etc. I remember being surprised at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.
Old 03 July 2018, 04:22 PM

Germany Turn your head to the right to get the Belgian fl... no, wait, that doesn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... how did Germany do this year (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...)?
Having won the last time around, the German team this year decided to let the others have a go, if only to prove the old saying wrong ("...and in the end the Germans win").

I'm supporting Belgium now, with the in-laws living in Aachen, close to the Belgish border.
Old 03 July 2018, 04:38 PM

My sister lives in Belgium but I had to support Japan in the last game just because everybody seemed to think it would be easier to beat Japan if we ended up playing them in the final. They were so close to knocking Belgium out...
Old 03 July 2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
An NBA game is about half the time of a soccer game and the court is less than one third as long. Frankly, I'm surprised that there is that much running in basketball. I do wonder at the writer's definition of sprinting though. Unless a player is on a breakaway or trying to stop one, there isn't that much sprinting in an NBA game.

Note that a certain NBA player should get extra credit as he has to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court.
Just comparing distance and court/field size can be very misleading. It is relatively energy efficient to run 50 yards. It takes much more energy to run 10 yards in one direction, change direction 180 degrees, repeat until you've run 50 yards. There also isn't all that much sprinting in a soccer game. You rarely see a soccer defender actually sprint.

Plus, basketball players run the entire length of court (usually). Soccer players don't run more than half the length of the pitch, and even that is pretty rare.
Old 03 July 2018, 06:44 PM

Stupid question: when is a minimum not a minimum?

There's a sticker on the gas pumps at at least one local gas station proclaiming "Cigarettes sold at or below state minimum."

A poster in the window of a local liquor store advertised a certain brand of wine as "on sale - 10% below state minimum."

Old 03 July 2018, 07:57 PM

Is it near the New York side of the state? Because New York State (pdf) has minimum prices for cigarette sales. They might be advertising that you can get cigarettes below the New York minimum.

Connecticut's alcohol fixed-price laws allow for a retailer to sell one alcoholic item below cost so long as they notify the board and charge at least 90% of the set price:
Quote:
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (b) of this section, a retail permittee may sell one beer item identified by a stock-keeping unit number or one item of alcoholic liquor other than beer identified by a stock-keeping unit number below his or her cost each month, provided the item is not sold at less than ninety per cent of such retail permittee's cost. A retail permittee who intends to sell an item below cost pursuant to this subsection shall notify the Department of Consumer Protection of such sale not later than the second day of the month such item will be offered for sale.
(Note that Connecticut's definition of "alcoholic liquor" means beer, wine, or distilled liquor.)
Old 03 July 2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I notice they didn't talk about hockey. While it's not running it's incredibly fast and hard hitting and physical. I'd put a hockey player up against any other athlete.
Old 03 July 2018, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I think of hockey as soccer on ice. (Obviously I'm more of a soccer than hockey fan -- no offense intended to hockey.)

Tennis is another good example (that's covered in the article) of a lot of running on a small court, with many changes of direction.

Also, I don't think it's rare at all for a soccer player to run hard, and in between, they very rarely get to stop moving. So you have hard running, with some sprinting, broken up with jogging and walking.

I've played a fair amount of indoor soccer, where the field of play is smaller and the ball can't generally go out on the sidelines, so no pauses for throw ins. The matches are shorter, but they can be tough. We freely rotated players to get breaks (you could go out and come back in unlimited times) but I also played short-handed games where we had no subs. Those were brutal.
Old 03 July 2018, 09:25 PM

Sitting here watching Columbia vs England in the world cup. Very little sprinting, a little running, lots of jogging and walking, fair amount of standing about. Basically one or two guys running, everybody else walking or trotting.
Old 03 July 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
I notice they didn't talk about hockey. While it's not running it's incredibly fast and hard hitting and physical. I'd put a hockey player up against any other athlete.
I don't know that I would, at least for any kind of endurance challenge. On average, a hockey player is only on the ice for a few minutes of action and at most will skate around 25 minutes per game. They certainly work a lot while they are out there, but they don't condition towards long-term exertions as much as others.