snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25 December 2018, 02:39 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default “Same procédure as last year, Miss Sophie?”

“Same procedure as every year, James!”

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28 December 2018, 07:37 AM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,694
Default

Jusenkyo no Pikachu, I wish you would stop posting videos without any comment apart from a more or less cryptic headline.

I can't see the video - all I get is a black box. I don't know whether it's because I'm at work or - more likely - because I'm in Europe, and a lot of non-European sites have geo-blocked European users because of the new European data protection laws. Anyway, most times when I click on on a thread opend by you, I end up not even having an idea what you are posting about. Is this thread about the old show "Dinner for One" with May Warden and Freddie Frinton? About the fact that this old British show somehow ended up as a New Years Eve staple on German television (shown several times in the afternoon and evening by several different stations)? Or about someone quoting from that in some connection? Is it about Australian politics? About some Australian internet or media person using the quote?

Maybe I'll have to stop clicking on threads opend by you at all. It just leaves me frustrated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28 December 2018, 07:47 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,162
Reporter

Vague thread titles are actually against the rules.

Quote:
2) Use a descriptive topic name when starting a new thread, a title that reflects the subject matter of your post. Topic names such as "I just got this in e-mail," "Here's another one," or "Yuck!" are not good choices. One question mark or exclamation point per subject line, please.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 December 2018, 02:02 PM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix Die Capacitrix is offline
 
Join Date: 03 January 2005
Location: Kanton Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 3,345
Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Jusenkyo no Pikachu, I wish you would stop posting videos without any comment apart from a more or less cryptic headline.
I was expecting to see something about this:
Quote:
A British comedy short that has become a perennial part of Germany’s new year celebrations is to be screened in the UK for the first time.
Even here in Switzerland it's well known. I even bought napkins with the phrase, "The same procedure as every year", which I thought was funny, and hadn't realized that it was part of this strange tradition. I wonder if Austrians also watch this, or is it only Germans and Swiss Germans?

Quote:
I can't see the video - all I get is a black box. I don't know whether it's because I'm at work or - more likely - because I'm in Europe, and a lot of non-European sites have geo-blocked European users because of the new European data protection laws.
Not blocked for me, for once, so I don't think its due to the European data protection laws.
Quote:
Maybe I'll have to stop clicking on threads opend by you at all. It just leaves me frustrated.
I only clicked on the thread because Gutter Monkey had posted (I wasn't online when only you had posted). So Don Erico, just to read your post, it was worth the price of admission.

Curiosity, will you and your family watch this every year? Your friends? I'm sometimes amazed how many people do watch this every year.

I learned last year that Italians have a Christmas movie that makes Christmas for them. At the moment my Google skills are letting me down, and I'm getting tired of agreeing to cookies. I think it's time for some real cookies.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 December 2018, 02:19 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I can't see the video - all I get is a black box. I don't know whether it's because I'm at work or - more likely - because I'm in Europe, and a lot of non-European sites have geo-blocked European users because of the new European data protection laws. Anyway, most times when I click on on a thread opend by you, I end up not even having an idea what you are posting about. Is this thread about the old show "Dinner for One" with May Warden and Freddie Frinton? About the fact that this old British show somehow ended up as a New Years Eve staple on German television (shown several times in the afternoon and evening by several different stations)? Or about someone quoting from that in some connection? Is it about Australian politics? About some Australian internet or media person using the quote?
I was actually unaware. It works fine on my end.

For those who can’t see it, it is indeed Dinner For One.

(Also, the show is German. It is virtually unknown in Britain. Screenings here are a New Years tradition too, but a little-known one because for whatever reason nobody wants to admit that Kommissar Rex—which plays on the same channel and has its best known foreign audience down here—is among the better police procedurals. Also we’re likely to be out partying, it being summer and all. I therefore really really doubt any Aussie politician or media personality would use the quote.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28 December 2018, 03:51 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default

...I was not actually aware of the premiere, or whatever problems Don Enrico was experiencing. It’s tradition here in Australia, but we’re usually all out partying at 6PM (when it’s shown), and the channel that shows it is aimed at foreigners and whoever watches Kommissar Rex (which has its biggest foreign audience here), so nobody watches it. I recorded it out of curiosity once and absolutely bloody loved it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28 December 2018, 04:21 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,810
Default

First I was confused as to why this was posted.

Now I'm confused as to how it can be a tradition if nobody watches it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28 December 2018, 06:42 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,570
Default

Anyone know whether blocking someone will prevent your seeing the threads they start?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28 December 2018, 07:51 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,073
Default

Nope, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28 December 2018, 10:44 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
First I was confused as to why this was posted.

Now I'm confused as to how it can be a tradition if nobody watches it.
Because it still happens. Halloween is getting to be like that here: you’re lucky if you get three trick-or-treaters, but we still sell the decorations.

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/channel...ogram/17965325

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 28 December 2018 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28 December 2018, 11:34 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,073
Default

You could always say something like that in your first post. That way people wouldn't have to blindly click a link to guess what your point was.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29 December 2018, 12:50 AM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,570
Default

The idea is to spark a conversation, not to confuse people and/or to give an opportunity for the thread-creator to give a lecture.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29 December 2018, 04:52 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
You could always say something like that in your first post. That way people wouldn't have to blindly click a link to guess what your point was.
You recently posted a thread with the title "I can't even" so you're also guilty of vaguethreading.

Someone else posted a thread titled "TCM Remembers 2018". I have no idea what TCM is, the OP doesn't explain, I'd have to click on the video in the OP to find out. I can pretty much guess from the replies in the thread but people shouldn't have to scroll through a thread to understand the OP.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu is the worst offender for posting thread titles that are insufficiently descriptive but they're not the only one doing it.



ETA: those other vague thread titles seem to be due to laziness more than anything, but Jusenkyo no Pikachu seems to be struggling with the idea of how to write a proper thread title
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29 December 2018, 05:40 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,073
Default

That title was in Rantidote and it was because I was struggling to form a coherent response to what I'd just heard.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29 December 2018, 07:21 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Someone else posted a thread titled "TCM Remembers 2018". I have no idea what TCM is, the OP doesn't explain, I'd have to click on the video in the OP to find out. I can pretty much guess from the replies in the thread but people shouldn't have to scroll through a thread to understand the OP.
Huh. Turner Classic Movies actually existed in Oz in one form or another between 1995 and 2016. All the early services carried it (as TNT) and Foxtel kept it.

As to the actual wording…all I could figure was that it was about the entire year, not just the movie people deaths.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29 December 2018, 04:35 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,810
Default

Jusenkyo missed on this one, but has in general been doing better about both titles and including some description in the first post.

And if one's not interested in a thread, for whatever reason, why not just not click on it? The thread starter's right there with the title of the thread in the list of new threads. I often skip threads I don't expect to be interested in.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31 December 2018, 05:34 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,162
Default

A few relevant articles:

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/...e-TV-tradition From the channel that broadcasts it here. I actually missed the broadcast itself, but thanks to the link above I managed to show it to my nephew (once he got past the German he loved it).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46620852 Is the link Die Capacitrix should have noticed.

https://www.german-way.com/history-a...or-one-script/ The script.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02 January 2019, 07:53 AM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,694
Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Curiosity, will you and your family watch this every year? Your friends? I'm sometimes amazed how many people do watch this every year.
When I was still living with my parents (back when there were only three channels on TV), we watched it every year. Even when I had moved out and was celebrating New Year with freinds of my age, there would always be someone who had remembered the screeing time and would say "Let's turn on the TV, there will be 'Dinner for One' in a minute!", and at least a third of the people would gather in fron of the TV to watch it. That was the time when I bought a book with the script, a German translation, and four short articles analysint the play from several points of view (and with the tongue firmly in cheek). I also own a DVD with the show.

Now that I'm 50 years old and living with my own family (my wife and two kids aged 6 - nearly 7! - and 11), we sometimes watch it, sometimes don't. We didn't this year, and nobody missed it.

But it still is a tradition here, almost everybody knows it, and most people would instantly recognise "Same procedure as last year!" as a quote from the play (and a lot of people would also recognise the less obvious "You're one of the nicest little women... Nicest little woMEN!... That ever breathed ... ever breathed..." and some of the other quotes. )

Quote:
Not blocked for me, for once, so I don't think its due to the European data protection laws.
Are you under European data protection law (most notably, the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR) in Switzerland? That regulation is what caused lots of non-European sites to be closed to users from the EU, because the site-owners didn't want to deal with the requirements of the Regulation concerning data storage and information rights.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02 January 2019, 05:38 PM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix Die Capacitrix is offline
 
Join Date: 03 January 2005
Location: Kanton Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 3,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Are you under European data protection law (most notably, the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR) in Switzerland? That regulation is what caused lots of non-European sites to be closed to users from the EU, because the site-owners didn't want to deal with the requirements of the Regulation concerning data storage and information rights.
As far as sites in the U.S. are concerned, I might as well be in the EU, since I am blocked as well, so I also get such responses as this one from Patch.com. Really frustrating, because there are a lot of sites I can no longer visit because the company doesn't want to deal with GDPR. (Yes, I could try some sort of VPN spoofing solution, but it doesn't seem to be worth it.)

Geolocation identifies me as being in Switzerland (Luzern, Zürich or Geneva), but it seems most U.S. sites don't care.

If I go to a .ch site, then I do not get the dreaded cookies warning. (Salt.ch, for example). As soon as it is a .com site, even if it is for a Swiss company (swiss.com, for example) , I will get the cookie warning. Since most of the sites I visit are not in Switzerland and/or I've already accepted the cookies, I don't notice it as much. But it's cut down on my use of U.S. based websites, since so many of them consider CH to be part of the EU and can't be bothered to comply with GDPR. Which probably makes economic sense for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sophie Scholl Conflicting Last Words Flubly Questionable Quotes 0 06 July 2018 04:00 AM
Silent 911 Call Procedure snopes Crime 2 27 November 2015 10:48 AM
Miss Lebanon distances herself from photo with Miss Israel TallGeekyGirl Soapbox Derby 11 22 January 2015 01:23 AM
Miss Delaware ‘too old’ for crown snopes Amusement Bark 23 11 July 2014 02:34 AM
Did I miss a switch or something? MapleLeaf Test Issues 10 28 December 2006 11:46 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.