snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 09 November 2018, 07:24 PM

Glasses Woolsey Fire

I chose this area because this is a fire.

Lots of Evacuations, including the entire city of Malibu. This is a link to the coverage by the local ABC station.

Hoping that any snopsters in the area are safe.

Seaboe
Old 09 November 2018, 10:56 PM

Meanwhile, there's the Camp Fire* about 100 miles north of me. I looked outside a few minutes ago and thought the sun was already setting in the middle of the afternoon because it was so dark out there. But it's just smokey. And here I thought fire season was over.

*Who names these things?
Old 09 November 2018, 11:45 PM

Had NPR radio on in the car coming home from doing some errands and they quoted someone in CA (I didn't catch who exactly, but not a random bystander, an official of some sort) as saying the entire state is or should be on red fire alert.

Everybody in California -- be careful! I hope you'll be OK.
Old 09 November 2018, 11:55 PM

Yesterday PG&E was warning that they might preemptively cut off power to certain areas due to the risk of their power lines sparking wildfires in the dry, windy conditions. Their equipment got blamed for starting some of last year's fires, so they're being extra cautious this year, it seems.
Old 10 November 2018, 01:09 AM

I'm not in the affected area, but my MIL is. She's staying with her mother for now but seems to think she'll be able to go home any minute now. My husband is worried sick about her house burning down.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Trump finally declared the emergency, then immediately turned around and threatened to withhold the emergency funds the declaration made available.

Seaboe
Old 12 November 2018, 04:43 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Meanwhile, there's the Camp Fire* about 100 miles north of me. I looked outside a few minutes ago and thought the sun was already setting in the middle of the afternoon because it was so dark out there. But it's just smokey. And here I thought fire season was over.

*Who names these things?
Ask, and ye shall be answered. How fires get their names

Quote:
Fires are usually named for the area in which they start –
a geographical location, local landmark, street, lake, mountain, peak, etc.
Butte County's deadly Camp Fire was named after Camp Creek Road, the location where the fire started. (SFGate).
Old 12 November 2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Trump finally declared the emergency, then immediately turned around and threatened to withhold the emergency funds the declaration made available.

Seaboe
I read that most of the fires were on federally controlled land and the orange thing is correct. The funds necessary for proper management have been systematically cut back over the past years.
Old 12 November 2018, 06:16 PM

And a larger percentage of what funds are left have been allocated to fighting the more and more severe fires.
Old 12 November 2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I read that most of the fires were on federally controlled land and the orange thing is correct. The funds necessary for proper management have been systematically cut back over the past years.
Except he's been blaming California for not managing the forests properly. If the fires are on federal lands then it was the federal government's responsibility to manage them, not California's.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:05 PM

I believe RichardM was referring to the fact that Trump didn't say whose mismanagement was the cause of the fires.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:21 PM

The chance that Trump's idea of proper management agrees with that of most foresters strikes me as miniscule.

I'm pretty sure that what he means is that all the trees should be cut down and sold; which, I have to admit, would indeed reduce the chance of forest fires. Other problems might obtain.
Old 12 November 2018, 11:50 PM

Because the fires have been on Federal land, it is trump's fault for not managing the forests properly. I think that he thinks the Sahara is what a forest should look like.

Also, on NPR this afternoon, I heard that at least one of the fires, the one affecting Thousand Oaks is not in a forest at all but is in the chaparral shrubs.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm pretty sure that what he means is that all the trees should be cut down and sold; which, I have to admit, would indeed reduce the chance of forest fires. Other problems might obtain.
And it's not like we're not already doing that here (ok, probably not *all* the trees). I regularly see log trucks on the road during my morning commute. I assume they're most likely coming from the Eldorado National Forest.

Actually I often wonder where they're going, since they're not on the freeway but heading up a local arterial street. I wonder if there's a sawmill or something in the area that I don't know about.

Quote:
Also, on NPR this afternoon, I heard that at least one of the fires, the one affecting Thousand Oaks is not in a forest at all but is in the chaparral shrubs.
That would make sense. That region doesn't really have forests; it's all grass and shrubs.

The one in Paradise, on the other hand, is in a heavily forested area in the Sierra foothills. Looking at Google street view, the town of Paradise almost feels like it's still in the middle of a forest, with many of the trees left standing.
Old 13 November 2018, 01:35 AM

I'm not sure any of these suggestions would protect a home in Paradise but people are working on it.

http://www.energy-design-tools.aud.ucla.edu/FIRES.html

Also, I've read about intumescent foams that can be sprayed over a building and protect it.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:28 AM

There are a few types of fire retardants that can be used to help protect structures from wildfire.
Old 13 November 2018, 05:54 AM

I just learned that my in-laws 2nd home burned down in the Camp Fire. Thankfully, they were not there, and the person who stays on the property for them got out safely. MIL is still trying to think of everything that was in the house.

The in-laws have spent years renovating it (lots of negotiations over how to do it). And now it's gone.

So far there are no fires threatening their main home, but it is in an area that is vulnerable. They're on a hill, with forested land around them. I'm wishing for lots of rain for CA. This is some scary scary stuff.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:02 PM

My MIL got the all-clear to return home. Her house is fine; the house next door burned down.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Quote:
I believe that is the Woolsey Fire.

Which (last I checked) had burned close to 95,000 acres. Ninety-five THOUSAND acres.

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2018, 05:37 PM

And now a package I ordered from Amazon last weekend, which was supposed to be delivered yesterday, is delayed due to conditions from the fires. I don't know if that means it was supposed to ship from somewhere near Thousand Oaks maybe, or it's just being held up due to general road closures due to the fires.