snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 21 August 2015, 04:34 AM

Icon95

I wish I could find a bedroom without a window. I like to be able to sleep in as near total darkness as possible. In one apartment, I cleared out a closet for just such a purpose but even then the light entering through the gap between the bottom of the door and the floor was a nuisance. I really hate being exposed to direct sunlight. And garlic.

Okay, those last two things are a joke, but I'm serious about liking to sleep in pitch dark.
Old 21 August 2015, 04:47 AM

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean someone isn't going to try to rent it as an apartment. My sister used to live in an illegal basement studio apartment in Brooklyn. Technically it had windows, but they were all covered by grates, so none of them were usable fire exits. And her rent was still about the same as the mortgage payments on my three bedroom house.
Old 21 August 2015, 05:25 AM

Exactly. It's not like there are code enforcement officials out there reviewing all Craigslist ads and going after violators.
Old 21 August 2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I wish I could find a bedroom without a window. I like to be able to sleep in as near total darkness as possible. In one apartment, I cleared out a closet for just such a purpose but even then the light entering through the gap between the bottom of the door and the floor was a nuisance. .
Wouldn't blackout curtains work?
Old 21 August 2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Isn't it illegal to rent out a bedroom that doesn't have a window?
Specifically, an egress window.
Old 21 August 2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Wouldn't blackout curtains work?
I, too, need almost complete blackness to sleep properly, and in my experience, light manages to find a way around the edges of the blackout curtains unless you duct tape them to the wall or something.
Old 21 August 2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Yep. We are renovating a room in the basement to be another bedroom, and although it has 2 windows, one needs to be replaced with a much bigger casement window, and a much bigger window well has to be dug out so that it will be an egress window.
Old 21 August 2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I wish I could find a bedroom without a window. I like to be able to sleep in as near total darkness as possible.
This would not work in a rented abode, but I can tell you form personal experience covering every window in your home with plywood makes for a great night's sleep.

Well, it would if it wasn't for those annoying wake ups to see what the coming hurricane is up to.

Seriously, the house gets very dark and very quiet.

Have not slept like that since 2004.
Old 21 August 2015, 04:46 PM

A friend who used to live in Fairbanks said they used aluminum foil to block sun from their bedroom during the summer.

I also knew someone who had styrofoam panels cut to fit tightly into his windows, then covered them with fabric (you could skip that step if you didn't care how they looked).
Old 21 August 2015, 05:37 PM

All good ideas... In Iraq I used card board, black trash bags, and duct tape.
Old 21 August 2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I don't know why I didn't remember this last night, but I actually rented an apartment without any windows in the bedroom. The way the building was laid out the bedrooms in half the apartments (including mine) were interior rooms with no windows. In those units the bedroom had a skylight instead, but that was in no way an egress window. It was an older building so I assume it was built before the requirement existed and was grandfathered in.
Old 21 August 2015, 09:41 PM

Did the room, by any chance, have two doors? The code requirement is, I believe, for any bedroom to have more than one egress, so that if a door is blocked there is another exit. Usually the requirement is met by having a window, but it isn't the only way. But, as you say, it might have been grandfathered, or it might have simply been in violation of code, but not reported.
Old 21 August 2015, 10:02 PM

Nope, only one door to the bedroom. The way the building was designed there were eight units, four on each side of the building. Each unit had an exterior entrance (in other words there was no interior hallway or anything). Each apartment had a living room/kitchenette at the front and a bedroom at the back, and then a bathroom and closet off the bedroom. So the corner apartments had windows in the bedrooms, while the inside apartments had none.
Old 26 August 2015, 10:59 AM

(originally posted as a reply to a message board, but thought I'd toss it out here. Everything in the
Quote:
blah
is from the original message)

Quote:
1. Don't get married to her.
It is in fact generally cheaper in taxes to file separately IF one has separate assets and differing income streams (ie: work vs disability). For example, in reference to a later point, if one is receiving SSI (Social Security Insurance) or SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), one may fall into the class that unfortunately many find themselves at of being below the poverty threshold for actually having to pay taxes ($13,000 a year as of last year's return, which means this may be my last tax free year).

However, if one does not have separate assets or income variations, filing a joint return may be better in the long run as the limits are higher for a family than individuals. Talking to a tax expert is always your best bet (and making friends with one who will figure the mess out for free is always good).

Quote:
2. Always use your mom's address to get mail.
Mail fraud, but generally not prosecuted as a lot of people do this for varying reasons (I had my bills sent to my mother as she handled my finances for a while). If, however, the USPS suspects you of ongoing fraud, they will slap you with fines and or jail time. Please research applicable laws as YMM.

Quote:
3. The guy buys a house.
This ties into later items, but standing alone, this is a bad investment for those at a low level of income. You not only have hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, you then have to assume all repairs, maintenance, utilities, etc, something that can run upwards of $1,000 a month in small town OR (obviously more in urban areas or areas with a higher cost of living). Compared to the $425 I currently pay ($500 total in utilities and rent) and it's a much better option to rent and save yourself the headache.

Quote:
4. Guy rents out house to his girlfriend who has 2 of his kids. and 5. Section 8 will pay $900 a month for a 3 bedroom home.
Mixture. Renting out the house makes no sense without the Section 8 which is described here as free money. However, HUD (Housing and Urban Development's) Section 8 Voucher program will NOT pay rent to a family member, and yes, a boyfriend would be considered such, as would friends. They fall under the same category.

Also, there is no 'standard' pay rate. Taking my area and my income, I get $625 allotted to me in 'rent/utilities', meaning I have to find a location within that limit, WITH that utility allowance (they do not pay utilities, they just add it into the figure of rent). At $1114 monthly, I can rent a one bedroom apartment ($450 a month) with 'utilities' slated at $100 (Electric, Gas, Water) and fall within my budget (Also, my new two bedroom falls just barely within my allotment).

Now, a woman with two kids would obviously be allotted more money, and possibly $900 or more, but given that we are now talking about a house vs an apartment, a three bedroom HOUSE in rural Oregon runs upwards of a $1000 a month in rent alone, so obviously she would be over her limit and unable to rent such a place (and I don't see why she would, considering three bedroom apartments are around $700 easy).

Also, with Section 8, you have to list EVERYONE living in the dwelling, which would catch out the fraud landlord boyfriend. It is actually very hard to hide an extra person not listed on your voucher (they do yearly exams, neighbors are nosey, etc). It is a $10,000 fine and five years in jail for defrauding HUD.

Quote:
6. Girlfriend signs up for Obamacare so guy doesn't have to pay for family insurance.
Not going to touch the stupid. Medicare will pay 80% of hospital bills and varying amounts for doctors, if disabled, one gets this automatically no matter your age. Medicaid (again, for OR, it varies by state) is run on a lottery system and very hard to get right now. Basically, you apply, if you meet their qualifications your name is put in a hat and tossed around (okay, so it's randomly chosen, but I like the mental image) and you may get to receive OHP (Oregon Health Plan). There are ways around the lottery, but you must be SEVERELY physically disabled and need in-home health care.

Dependent on your income/disability level, it will depend on how much they pay. If it is your only insurance, you will have $3-$5 co-pays for medications, more for doctors (I think at one time they had me at $20 a visit). Certain groups of individuals (severely poverty stricken, severely disabled, etc) will end up getting full or double coverage. This means between Medicare and Medicaid you pay nothing for doctors and medications covered by your insurance (which given that it's state and federally run, is often a fun dance of 'we don't want to pay for that even if you do need it'). This is honestly, one of the few real boons in being poor enough to need assistance as medical expenses are one of the leading financial disasters that can effect someone (I often, unfortunately, hit the ER 5x a year, plus monthly doctors visits, it all adds up).

Now, while these are great things, they are also VERY hard to get, you can't just walk in and walk out with everything gone. It can take YEARS to get assistance for medical needs.

Quote:
7. Girlfriend gets to go to college for free being a single mother
No.

Quote:
8. Girlfriend gets $600 a month for food stamps
I just pulled something laughing. I get $75 a month for one person. That's it. That's ALL I get to survive on. I eat a lot of canned veggies and grumble at fast food ads on TV.

Doing the math, that makes it $225 for a family of three based off my income (it doesn't change for ages of children, it's all income based) so...yeah, they're not rolling in the bread dough there. IF the children are between 0-5 years of age, they can apply for WIC (Women, Infants, Children) which provide resources for other products on their approved lists that CAN greatly benefit a family (my friend gets four gallons of milk a month for her young baby, plus cheese, bread, all sorts of good things for growing kids), which does supplement in some ways, but after the age of five you're either scrimping or hitting the food bank to get a 'weeks worth of food' to last for a month.

Quote:
9. Girlfriend gets free cell phone
Snopes covers this (and is in fact how I learned of the program, so thanks!), but yes, Lifeline, a federally funded program will give a subsidy for either a landline ($13 in my case at the time) or a free cell phone with 250 minutes. A real lifesaver believe me. I had originally got it for the car and emergencies (yes, 911 can work off any phone, but 911 won't tow my broken ass car back home when it decides it wants a nap), however it has saved my butt more times than not when Charter screws with my landline. So yes, truly beneficial and thanks again to Snopes for their article!

Quote:
10. Girlfriend get free utilities.
*grumpy cat face* No.

Electric=$100, Gas=$100 (When I had it), Water=$130 (when I had it). All out of my pocket.

[quote]11. Guy moves into home but continues to use moms house to get mail sent to.[quote]

And you have violated your HUD and SNAP contracts, bye-bye "freebies".

Quote:
12. Girlfriend claims one kid and guy claims one kid on taxes. Now you both get to claim head of house hold at $1800 credit.
I don't pay taxes so I have no idea. Also don't have kids.

Quote:
13. Girlfriend gets disability for being "crazy" or having a "bad back" at $1800 a month and never has to work again.
SSI and SSDI take YEARS to get approved for, including initial rejection (you're almost always rejected), time and money to retain a lawyer, go to the needed doctors, get said doctors to approve your disability, meet with court appointed doctors, go to hearings, etc and so forth.

It took two years to be classified disabled for me, and that was with a leg up in the fact I was disabled at the age of eight (I fall into a special category knowing as 'Adult Disabled Child", I am the disabled child of a disabled parent who was disabled before the age of eighteen [uh, yeah, trying saying that aloud repeatedly]. Basically, because my mother [and father] were both disabled [mental/physical respectively] and I was mentally disabled [diagnosed at eight] I am a special snowflake who get a leg up in the process but still has hoops to jump through, more on this in a second though).

Then, IF you get approved, you get an amount based on what you've worked. As I have been disabled all my life and unable to hold a job (I tried, I lasted three days to a week at both), I earned $600 a month, near the base rate. My mother and father, who both worked three to four jobs at a time (why yes, we were a family struggling, why do you ask?) only received around $1200 and $1500 a month. My mother had to raise me on that (with my added $600) and my father had to support his wife and my sister (my sister didn't work until recently as she had to take care of him and Irene was also disabled, making base rate). So yes, not OMG POOR, but not living the high life either.

You will also, depending on your disability, be reviewed every 3, 5, or 7 years, and they're not any nicer in reviews then they were the first time around.

Now we come back to the special snowflake status that makes me the bane of SS recipients everywhere, I am not reviewed. Not in the usual timeframe at least, sometimes they randomly pick me, but it's rare. I also receive survivorship benefits for both my father (originally my mother, but dad earned more, so it switched) BECAUSE I was a disabled child (yes, that status carries into adult hood, fun to explain). This makes me a special case that is rare amongst SS recipients in that I earn more money (from $600 when my parents were living, to the $1114 now) and unfortunately makes me look like a typical 'fraud' case.

As a counterpoint, my cousin who unfortunately had a severe reaction to her vaccines at a year old and an undiagnosed epilepsy condition which resulted in shaken baby syndrome, has been denied social security disability even though she needs 24-hour car, cannot walk, talk, fed herself or any function beyond that of a one year old. This is the system. As I said, it is VERY hard to get approved and it's only by the grace of whatever God that I got it and I am thankful every moment. I don't have the life of luxury and leisure many assume (it's very hard, living with aspergers, ADHD and the mental development of a snail), but I have it better than most, and I can only be grateful for the gifts I do have.

Quote:
A married couple with a stay at home mom yields $0 dollars.
Actually, they earn what the father earns, obviously.

Quote:
An unmarried couple with stay at home mom nets.
$21,600 disability +
$10,800 free housing +
$6,000 free obamacare +
$6000 free food +
$4,800 free utilities +
$6,000 pell grant money to spend +
$12,000 a year in college tuition free from pell grant + $8,800 tax benefit for being a single mother
You can do your own math, but not even close. Look, yes, I and a lot of others get some amazing benefits and help, yes, there is fraud, yes, the system could be better, but we're doing the best we can with what we have. I would trade it all in a minute to be able to function and live as a normal thirty-four year old. I would enjoy being able to make friends, have relationships, have a fulfilling work and home life, look forward to getting up and not facing the rest of my life as days that all look the same and involve me sitting at a computer, my only 'real' communication with the outside world, facing at least forty more years of the same routine, the only variation being what bill do I have to skip this month to eat and what cat I stare at while bored.

I'm lucky, I'm a single person struggling to make it through life, families who endure this have it so much harder, to to narrow their lives down to meaningless (and wrong) numbers takes the truth and pain out of what they endure. I wouldn't ask anyone to walk a mile in their shoes, because it would suck and I'm not cruel. Plus, the shoes probably have holes in them.
Old 28 August 2015, 11:37 PM

Ugh, ignore the top part, I had c/p'd it to Facebook before posting here and forgot I changed that when I re-copied the spell checked text. It originally said: "Since no one's taken a crack at it, here is my view".
Old 29 August 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitaina View Post
Quote:
10. Girlfriend get free utilities.
*grumpy cat face* No.

Electric=$100, Gas=$100 (When I had it), Water=$130 (when I had it). All out of my pocket.
Not through a government program, perhaps, but my electric company does offer discounts to low income customers. Still not free, though.
Old 30 August 2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
11. Guy moves into home but continues to use moms house to get mail sent to.
12. Girlfriend claims one kid and guy claims one kid on taxes. Now you both get to claim head of house hold at $1800 credit.
This would be all kinds of a setup for getting convicted of one type of fraud or another, or maybe several. For head of household status, the child has to live with the filer. She's claiming both kids for benefit purposes, so she has to claim they live with her. But he's claiming one for tax purposes, so he has to say that child lives with him. When the state investigates the welfare fraud, a tax return filed claiming that the child lives at a different address is going to make their case for them, it seems to me. And the benefit information is going to make the case for the IRS for tax fraud.

ETA: Also, I think the only way anybody gets that much back is because they filed for Earned Income Credit, which would put them at pretty high risk for audit, if anything looks fishy.
Old 30 August 2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
11. Guy moves into home but continues to use moms house to get mail sent to.
If the person votes chances are that would be voter fraud. (Unless the two addresses are very close together.)

As others have said, the stupid list basically boils down to "if you want to break the law you can defraud the gov't for some money." Might as well suggest robing a bank.
Old 31 August 2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Not through a government program, perhaps, but my electric company[/URL] does offer discounts to low income customers. Still not free, though.
Yeah, I forgot LIEHP due to not using it (It's very hard to get it here in Douglas county due to how many of us are at poverty level). Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 31 August 2015, 11:37 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post

As others have said, the stupid list basically boils down to "if you want to break the law you can defraud the gov't for some money." Might as well suggest robing a bank.
Bath or royal?

I have yet to understand why so many people automatically think someone on disability is faking it or somehow living high on the hog.