snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 17 January 2013, 02:22 PM

Icon220 Vegas Woman Who Couldn’t Stop Growing Dies At 34

As a teenager growing up in Las Vegas, Tanya Angus strutted along fashion runways. She was 5 feet 8 inches tall. But at the time of her death Monday, the 34-year-old Angus stood 7 feet 2 inches and weighed about 400 pounds. She was a victim of a rare disorder called acromegaly that wouldn’t let her stop growing. In children the condition is known as gigantism.

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/01...ng-dies-at-34/
Old 17 January 2013, 09:25 PM

I saw her story on Mystery Diagnosis a year or so ago. RIP, Tanya.
Old 17 January 2013, 09:34 PM

This just ticks me off.

Quote:
Some people judged her daughter, Strutynski said, believing she used a wheelchair because she lacked the discipline to keep her weight down. What they didn’t know is that she ate one meal a day, and her medications caused her face to swell, her mother said.
Her weight and wheelchair MUST be because she's a lazy, ice-cream guzzling pig, amiright? Forget about the fact that she has a very rare disorder that causes people to be much larger than normal.

idiots.
Old 17 January 2013, 10:07 PM

What made me really sad was reading on her website that she was the only known person in the world with the disorder that drugs and surgery were never able to help. She was so brave.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
This just ticks me off.
Because eating junk food and not exercising causes people to grow to over seven foot tall, duh. I could almost, almost see the reasoning in jumping to that conclusion toward a normal-height person of 400 pounds in a wheel chair (even though they could be using it because they're paralyzed, just got out of surgery, or a million other things), but really, someone who is taller than the average basketball player? Honestly, if I came across that scene, I would probably think to myself "Dude, that person looks really tall, and they're sitting down!"