snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 31 May 2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog78 View Post
It makes you wonder about the people who adamantly refuse, I mean good gracious, do they think the government is planning a hostile takeover of it's citizens homes?
Busted!
Old 31 May 2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog78 View Post
It makes you wonder about the people who adamantly refuse, I mean good gracious, do they think the government is planning a hostile takeover of it's citizens homes?
Yes some do
Old 31 May 2010, 10:39 PM

Can US citizens refuse to divulge census information? In Canada, people must comply. If they refuse the door-to-door census, they are send forms in the mail, and can be charged if they refuse to fill them out.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:47 PM

Military

Quote:
I mean good gracious, do they think the government is planning a hostile takeover of it's citizens homes?
Yes. If you have extra space in your home and refuse to divulge who's using it, the government will assume you live alone and start quartering soldiers with you.
Old 31 May 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
Can US citizens refuse to divulge census information? In Canada, people must comply. If they refuse the door-to-door census, they are send forms in the mail, and can be charged if they refuse to fill them out.
US citizens are required by law to answer Census questions. What happens if you don't though is unclear. I'm not sure there are people being hauled away if they don't.

To add to the chorus, we were given a specific directive not to enter people's homes, even if invited. This came out while we were canvassing however because originally we were told (and the training material corroborated) that we could if we felt safe. We were even encouraged to follow people around asking questions if they said they were busy.

During the address canvassing phase last spring, we were trained that we could walk around property and look for signs of living quarters. We weren't instructed to demand entry, but we were instructed to ignore no trespassing signs and to explore property if no one was home. This go around, we were instructed to honor private roads and seek permission before we wandered around.

Gibbie
Old 01 June 2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Thatís right ó not only can citizens be fined if they fail to answer the increasingly intrusive questions asked of them by the federal government under the guise of simply counting the number of people in the country...
(bolding mine)

Increasingly intrusive? Really? I must have gotten one of them old fashioned short forms, then, because there were a LOT less questions on mine than there were on my ancestors' Census records from 100 years ago!
Old 01 June 2010, 02:27 AM

I really should know by now that the paranoia of some people knows no limits
Old 01 June 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
Is it possible that Census workers are allowed to demand entrance into common areas of those places (sidewalks, hallways, etc.) in order to access the doors of the actual residences?
Census workers are not allowed to "demand" entrance anywhere.
Old 01 June 2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
US citizens are required by law to answer Census questions. What happens if you don't though is unclear. I'm not sure there are people being hauled away if they don't.
Well, after mailing in our form, answering the telephone survey, we got a door visit from a census taker. First he was looking for another address, but he came back 15 min later and said he was actually sent to our address. I explained we mailed in the form and did the phone survey. he said he understands, however we were on his list. I answered the questions, howeve it really pissed me off to do so. Then It started raining, not a light drizzle , but a downpour. I did invite him in and he accepted. I was not alone, my four teenaged kids were there so I felt safe.
Old 01 June 2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
I doubt anyone is going to get busted if they are harbouring aliens anyway. The census taker says "So who lives here?" I answer "Well there's me, my wife and two children."

If I neglect to tell them about the Rodriguez family or a wanted criminal living in my basement with my knowledge and consent the census people aren't likely to find out merely through this simple check. There is no need to refuse to answer - just lie.
But there's no need to lie...you can't get busted by the Census for harboring aliens, or fugitive mass-murderers or whoever. The Census does not ask about anyone's legal status, just if they usually live there, and they are forbidden by law from turning information over to the police or the IRS or anyone but other statistical agencies.
Old 01 June 2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
Is it possible that Census workers are allowed to demand entrance into common areas of those places (sidewalks, hallways, etc.) in order to access the doors of the actual residences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
Census workers are not allowed to "demand" entrance anywhere.
Data point: Last Thursday when I came home from work there were 3 or 4 "notice of census visit" cards taped to mailboxes at my apartment building. I would think that the census worker would have posted those cards on the apartment doors if s/he was allowed access to the hallways.
Old 01 June 2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Yes. If you have extra space in your home and refuse to divulge who's using it, the government will assume you live alone and start quartering soldiers with you.
And by "soldiers" you mean black and brown people who have 80 babies each and use foodstamps to buy their crack and pot.
Old 01 June 2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
This applies to the UK but it might be the same in the US.

My uncle who had some mental health problems to be fair refused to fill out his census form.

I don't know what steps were taken inbetween but eventually he found himself in court and was fined and given a suspended sentence (one month I think) until he filled out the form.

He refused to pay the fine or fill out the form so he was jailed - for one night until his long suffering wife came and paid his fine and filled out the form. But he could have been in for the full month otherwise.
Old 01 June 2010, 08:10 PM

When in doubt, ask the gubberment.
http://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcen...p_sid=wYXDrm1k

Quote:
Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of "not more than $100" to "not more than $5,000." More information.

Last edited by Critterbites; 01 June 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01 June 2010, 08:40 PM

Not only are they allowed to enter your home in your absence, they can also help themselves to anything in your refrigerator, root through your underwear drawer, and have sex with your spouse/significant other.
Old 01 June 2010, 08:42 PM

And rearrange your furniture.
Old 01 June 2010, 09:10 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Hm...I must have unwittingly opted out of receiving that form, because the one I received only asked a few questions, basically my name, sex, date of birth, and race. And of course, how many people live at my residence.

I guess I unknowingly opted out of that one as well.
Old 01 June 2010, 09:21 PM

They can fine you, but according to my first FOS (field operation supervisor), they've never fined anyone.

Many people (regular people, I mean) don't realize that the Home Survey & the Census are two different surveys, so we are constantly getting "you were just here", and they're really talking about the Home Survey (because of the intensive questions).

You can definitely get a neighbor/proxy to answer questions, but as previously stated, it's a last resort. We really want to get the info from the occupant.

And, the least you MUST answer is how many people is in the house, but, again, we really want to get more info (such as races, ages etc), as all of that info is used in community/federal/state funding etc. If you (as the homeowner/occupant) won't tell us anything (a refusal), we can and will go to a neighbor/willing proxy for the information.
Old 02 June 2010, 03:40 PM

Looks like the limits of what Census workers can do will be tested a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Hawaii Today/John Burnett And Peter Sur/Stephens Media
Police arrest Census taker Saturday, May 29, 2010 7:27 AM HST
A battle is brewing between the state and federal governments over a Census taker arrested in Puna for misdemeanor trespassing.

The U.S. Attorney's office filed papers Thursday in federal court in Honolulu to take the case of 57-year-old Russell Haas out of 3rd District Court. That will pit the feds against local prosecutors.

"I'm looking to have it kept in state court," county Deputy Prosecutor Christopher Bridges said Friday.

Haas pleaded not guilty on April 8 to second-degree trespassing. He was arrested March 10 at 12:30 p.m. in in Hawaiian Acres, after a resident Haas says was an off-duty police officer allegedly refused to cooperate with the Census and called Puna police.
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local02.txt

Actually I kind of wonder about the resident's reaction - dude, you've retired to HAWAII, mellow out!!! Unless he is in witness protection - I could see that making anyone edgy.
Old 02 June 2010, 04:05 PM

It's not clear he's retired -- at first the article calls him an "off-duty police officer", then later it says he's a "former" police officer from NJ.