snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 27 August 2009, 09:14 PM

Icon401 You didn't think Facebook was private, did you?

Comment: This was making the inbox rounds at work. I wonder if it's on the up and up since the 59 min and 58 min time stamps look out of order. Pretty funny just the same.

Old 27 August 2009, 09:15 PM

The Next Web Blog believes it was not on the up-and-up at all, but rather part of a deliberate series of hacks.
Old 27 August 2009, 09:37 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Crap like this makes me glad I no longer have current pics of myself on the web and is partly why I don't use any networking site that encourages or requires it. I only had one pic up on a site for a brief period and I accepted that anyone could have saved it and could use it for any purpose, but actually hacking into somebody's accounts in order to send fake emails and putting phony info on their Facebook pages (and then distributing it around the net) is low even for the creeps that populate the 'chans but not at all surprising.
Old 27 August 2009, 09:55 PM

...and even though the posters have had their names obscured, the friends haven't. Probably wouldn't be too hard to locate Tracy through them.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
...and even though the posters have had their names obscured, the friends haven't. Probably wouldn't be too hard to locate Tracy through them.
If you want to know her name, just Google one of the quotes from her post.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:34 PM

Her first post to the wall message happened one minute before the message.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:02 PM
BenPenguin

Icon105

Her relationship status is engaged as well. So either she and her soon to be husband havent had sex for years, or she is cheating. Either way, it can't be a good thing for her marrage prospects.

P.S First post, Hi everyone!
Old 28 August 2009, 10:21 PM
Pink Scorpion

The time it took to accumulate that number of friends should have given her enough time to learn the basics of FB, no?

And "love-cave" made me laugh out loud.

Last edited by Pink Scorpion; 28 August 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I can spell!
Old 28 August 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
Probably wouldn't be too hard to locate Tracy through them.
Out of curiosity, I looked up her friend Donna on Facebook about a week ago (I could make out enough of her last name to make a guess what it was), and she is a member. But I checked her "friends" list, and Tracy isn't among them. If this incident was for real, Tracy might have quit Facebook afterwards.

David
Old 28 August 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked up her friend Donna on Facebook about a week ago (I could make out enough of her last name to make a guess what it was), and she is a member. But I checked her "friends" list, and Tracy isn't among them. If this incident was for real, Tracy might have quit Facebook afterwards.

David
If you Google "I'm glad you enjoyed my other p****", the first hit gives you her full name. Then you search for that name on Facebook, and it shows a Facebook account with that name. But, when you click on it, it says "The page you requested was not found. You may have clicked an expired link or mistyped the address."

She does have an active fan group though!
Old 29 August 2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Scorpion View Post
And "love-cave" made me laugh out loud.
I intend to use that word at the next available opportunity.
Old 01 September 2009, 07:44 AM

She's on the friends list of the person who made the last comment visible in the OP. Different profile picture, but clearly the same person.

A bit more info here:

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/the...ebook-account/
Old 01 September 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Mirrors View Post
Part of that article goes on to talk about the dangers of common passwords or using password recovery answers that can be figured out by social engineering or just someone having grown up with you.

Quote:
The vast majority of these questions could be readily answered by anyone with whom you grew up - or anyone who is able to steer you into a conversation designed to elicit the information - allowing them to gain access to your Facebook account, change the password and lock you out, and then masquerade as you.

And, because many people use the same password across many sites, they may now also have access to your other email accounts, other social networking site accounts, and even your banking accounts, if they all use the same password (which is why you should never use the same password for two or more different accounts).
How do they figure that if someone is able to change your password on Facebook that they might now be able to access anything else where you have used the same password? If someone gets into your email account, yes, they may be able to learn some of your other passwords by using those sites' password recovery features to send an email with the password, and after seeing you use the same one over and over possibly break into your accounts at yet other sites. If they know you well enough to guess the answer to your security question they might also be able to guess at other sites that also use security questions. But it is not as though if you use the same password on many sites that changing one somehow magically changes the others internet-wide. Breaking into Facebook using the reset password security questions (or really breaking into any non-email account) gives the person access to that account, period. They don't know your original password, and therefore even if you use the same password elsewhere, they can't automatically access those sites, they'd have to break into those as well.

I think the author confused (perhaps lifted without even considering) advice about choosing hard-to-guess passwords and advice given in the previous column about security questions for email accounts to be some sort of magic elixir that applies to any breaking into of any internet account.
Old 01 September 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
How do they figure that if someone is able to change your password on Facebook that they might now be able to access anything else where you have used the same password? If someone gets into your email account, yes, they may be able to learn some of your other passwords by using those sites' password recovery features to send an email with the password, and after seeing you use the same one over and over possibly break into your accounts at yet other sites. If they know you well enough to guess the answer to your security question they might also be able to guess at other sites that also use security questions. But it is not as though if you use the same password on many sites that changing one somehow magically changes the others internet-wide. .
I don't think the author is saying that. What s/he is saying is that if someone has guessed your password and g-you use the same password on every password protected site you visit, then not only can they change your password on facebook as a piece of mischief, but until you become aware and run around changing passwords on all the other sites yourself, then the miscreant can make free on any site you use the same original password on.