snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 08 July 2009, 09:29 AM

Roll eyes Cookie recipe

Quote:
We end with thought for the day, and it concerns the Very Rev Colin Slee, dean of Southwark Cathedral, who purchased, during a trip to Woolworths in South Africa, a biscuit recipe. How much does it cost, he asked the assistant. "Two fifty," she told him. "Two rand fifty, he thought. That's reasonable. Twenty pence. And these biscuits, they are delicious." And they were. But the Lord works in mysterious ways - rivalled only in this respect by Woolworths in Johannesburg; and so it was that on inspecting his credit card bill back home in London, Rev Slee found the upmarket store had charged him 250 rand for the recipe. About 20. That's ridiculous, give it back, he thundered down the phone at them. No chance, "you have already seen the recipe," the store said. "We absolutely will not refund your money." OK then, said the Rev, for he is a man of righteous anger, why don't I just stick your recipe on the internet so everyone can have it for nothing. "I wish you wouldn't do that," said the lady from Woolworths. But by then it was too late. And so it is that the Rev sent the Woolies cookie recipe far and wide with the instruction that each recipient "pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of". He baked them, in a batch of 112, and reflected that these people will think twice in future before they mess with a man of the cloth.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ir-diary-biggs
Old 08 July 2009, 10:30 AM

Ponder

Who buys a cookie recipe? And who puts a 20p purchase on a credit card? Also, the recipe would be on the internet in seconds regardless of who bought it and the circumstances in which they did so. Utter tripe
Old 08 July 2009, 11:42 AM

Didn't he sign a credit card slip with the total amount charged to his card?
Old 08 July 2009, 11:48 AM

I can't tell if he's being serious, or it's a joke. Surely the columnist can't be taking the story at face value - can he?
Old 08 July 2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
Didn't he sign a credit card slip with the total amount charged to his card?
Depends. In the UK, it's all done by entering your PIN into a keypad, so it's easier to miss the total. It might be the same in South Africa.

Of course, the story is nonsense anyway, but that part is almost believeable.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
Depends. In the UK, it's all done by entering your PIN into a keypad, so it's easier to miss the total. It might be the same in South Africa.
But you still see the amount charged on the screen and on some machines, at least here in Sweden, you have to OK the amount before you pay.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:33 PM

Sorry to nitpick the story. I can use my debit card like a credit card or debit, depending on the merchant. If I am given a slip to sign, it has the total on it. If I am entering my PIN, it asks me if the total amount is ok. I am just paranoid enough to look at the dollar amount before hitting ok.

Funny, when reading the Woolies story on the snopes site, about mid-story the author (of the Woolies story, not snopes) calls it the Nieman Marcus cookie recipe.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
But you still see the amount charged on the screen and on some machines, at least here in Sweden, you have to OK the amount before you pay.
It varies from place to place here, but most places don't require you to OK the amount here, and while it is shown on screen, I tend to be looking at the number keys and miss the amount.
Old 08 July 2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
It varies from place to place here, but most places don't require you to OK the amount here...
That's the same as here and I always get confused when I have to press OK more than once.
Old 08 July 2009, 01:56 PM

I first heard this one as the Neiman-Marcus cookie debacle. Sis and I actually tried the cookie recipe, and it was darn good! Dunno if it had a darn thing to do with NM, but it was a yummy cookie.
Old 08 July 2009, 02:13 PM

Woolworths have the kind of checkout display where you can see the total cost of your purchases rack up as the cashier scans each item. And we don't (yet) have Chip-and-Pin card machines, so he would have had to sign a slip with the amount.

The whole premise is flawed, though, because Woolworths don't bake their own biscuits. (Some of them do have in-store bakeries, but they bake bread and cakes; I've never seen biscuits.) Their biscuits come in plastic packets "packaged for Woolworths" by some national manufacturer. It's very unlikely that the shop would have the recipe on hand to sell to a customer.

In any case, this is an old legend, and there is a ULRP page on it.

ETA: just to note, South African Woolworths has no connection to the various chains named Woolworths in other parts of the world. It has a reputation as the place where the posh people go (or send their domestic workers!) to shop for food.

Last edited by htonl; 08 July 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08 July 2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Who buys a cookie recipe?
Jay Tea- it's called a cook book. It's actually an entire book of recipes, I dunno if you've heard of it.

PS- bring me some Flake bars.
Old 08 July 2009, 02:50 PM

It's only $30 American, what a cheap-ass. And why is he the Very Reverend?
Old 09 July 2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorKate View Post
PS- bring me some Flake bars.
Wait, you want Flake bars? I'm on it!
Old 09 July 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's only $30 American, what a cheap-ass. And why is he the Very Reverend?
I believe you get that title at a certain rank in the Anglican church. Bishop or Arch-Bishop, I believe.