snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Language

Old 12 June 2009, 04:11 AM
lalagrrl84

Australia Banana benders

So a nickname for Queenslanders here in Australia is 'Banana Benders'... fair enough, lots of bananas are grown in the state of Queensland, but why call them benders?

Then someone explained to me that they are called banana benders because bananas in most parts of the world are pretty straight, whilst the bananas in Queensland are very curved, hence why residents of Queensland are called banana benders.

A quick search of the net shows lots of pictures of bent bananas... from all over the world... so I'm really not sure where the origin of this nickname has come from.

Does anyone here know?
Old 12 June 2009, 07:09 AM

I would guess that it's simply a natural alliteration on bananas, given that bananas at bent.
Old 15 June 2009, 01:29 PM

I just heard it as all the Queenslanders are employed in factories bending them (i.e. that's the only job they are capable of)
Old 15 June 2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
I just heard it as all the Queenslanders are employed in factories bending them (i.e. that's the only job they are capable of)
The Queenslander got the sack from the banana factory. He threw out the bent ones.

(This is based on the assumption that Queenslanders are stupid and this guy thought the bananas were damaged and did not pass QA)
Old 15 June 2009, 03:01 PM

That one (banana-benders) seems as odd to me as does 'mackerel-snappers' to refer to Roman Catholics - yes, they ate only fish, including mackerel, on Fridays up through Vatican II (I believe that was the abrogation of the rule), but where does the 'snapping' come in?