snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 25 January 2007, 03:54 AM

Tantrum Spoiled Rich Girl Throws Tantrum

Comment: Here’s the link: http://us.video.aol.com/video.index....pmmsid=1819936

I googled “Rich Girl Throws Tantrum” and found this link, too: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2811872?ns=1 and there are several other links displayed, too. This video seems to be posted on every video posting site in the universe!

If this is real, I doubt the girl is speaking to her brother. She may also have trouble getting a date.
Old 25 January 2007, 04:03 AM

I wasn't terribly thrilled with the girl OR the brother, for continuing to film after he had been told not to, simply to embarrass his sister.

That said, I'm glad the whole world can see this video now, because that girl needs a cold dose of reality.
Old 25 January 2007, 04:05 AM

Wow.. I hope that its fictional.. Though I've met people like that so I would imagine that even if this specific situation is fake real life situations like that happen alot..

Quote:
If this is real, I doubt the girl is speaking to her brother.
I'm not sure I know what you mean here..

Quote:
She may also have trouble getting a date.
Please, she looks like she's pretty, and she's rich.. Somehow I think she'll get by in life just fine.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:06 AM

Before she even opened her eyes and saw the car, I somehow knew she'd have a problem with the color.

Wow, this makes me feel better about complaining when I got a right-handed guitar after specifically telling my parents 50 million times that I needed a left-handed one (it's not like it's a big secret to them that I'm left-handed either.) I felt bad for complaining, but at least I wasn't bitching about the color, just the functionality.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:11 AM

How frickin' spoiled can you be?

I sympathize for her brother/dad, rather badly.

Morrigan
Old 25 January 2007, 05:20 AM

I seem to remember someone mentioning this elsewhere on this board, maybe in the commercials you hate thread? It may be a commercial, I seem to recall seeing several commercials shot in this "home video" format showing up on TV lately.

ETA - Aha! http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=33 Seems to be a very similar situation but the commercial described doesn't sound quite the same.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:51 AM

I would be telling my daughter if she acted like this. That I would have to just return the car or sell it and hope I can find a gift she is pleased next year. Maybe something blue but not a car because the color is more important than the car.
Old 25 January 2007, 06:32 AM

I'm hoping that I get a doomsday machine next Christmas.

I won't care about the color
Old 25 January 2007, 06:59 AM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
I seem to remember someone mentioning this elsewhere on this board, maybe in the commercials you hate thread? It may be a commercial, I seem to recall seeing several commercials shot in this "home video" format showing up on TV lately.

ETA - Aha! http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=33 Seems to be a very similar situation but the commercial described doesn't sound quite the same.
The commercial's been running here all month; annoys the heck out of me, too, so I'm not sure what it's for - I'm thinking a gift card, along with the "you can't always get want you want" commercials.

ETA: Simon Gift Cards? Wal-Mart?
Old 25 January 2007, 01:17 PM
Zamboni_Rodeo

Tantrum

It wouldn't surprise me if this does turn out to be real. I have a very sharp memory of a girl with whom I shared many classes in high school and for whom I cared very little. She had that exact mentality. Anyway, the first day back after the Christmas break our senior year, we were in English class and I overheard her saying to a friend of hers, "I got a TV and a CD player and a VCR [this was 12 or so years ago, before DVD players got hot and VCRs were still the thing], but my b*tch of a stepmother wouldn't let my dad buy me a car." She was pretty well in tears as she said it. I have never in my life wanted to slap someone as badly as I did her right at that moment. Even thinking about it now makes me want to go back in time and slap her (and also congratulate the setpmom for sticking to her guns).
Old 25 January 2007, 02:17 PM
Monza305

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post

I know I mentioned this vid in this thread. I haven't seen any commercials though. Just saw the vid.
Old 25 January 2007, 04:33 PM
Victoria J

She is horribly whiny and it is very hard to feel sympathetic for anyone who gets a very nice car handed to them on a plate (or who thinks blue is a better colour for an open top sports car than red ) but...

Isn't it at least possible that her being so upset has very little to do with the car and more to do with her being upset that her father hadn't paid attention to what she wanted. If she had clearly said she wanted a blue car (which she suggests) and her father had a history of ignoring what she wants then it may be something less of an over reaction, and the fact that it is a big present makes it worse not better.

It is interesting that the mother appears to be angry with her father as well - which could mean one of two things. Either he makes mistakes like that a lot and annoys the family, or the girl has pretty much been brought up to behave like that anyway...

I can't imagine having that sort of money or sense of entitlement but I did throw a bit of a temper tantrum over a generous present once. For my 18th birthday my mother booked us both on a Nile cruise - because I have always been obsessed with Egypt. It was far too generous, and I would not have expected her to spend that much money. I was furious because she booked it without asking, in a week I had needed to leave free for exams. I was lucky and all my exams finished the week before, but that was pure luck. I must have seemed horribly ungrateful but between the thoughtlessness, the possibility of being offered that and being unable to take it, and it being another example of my mother being over generous with money while showing no actual concern for me and my life I was more angry than pleased.

Victoria J
Old 25 January 2007, 07:21 PM
JD65

I'm not sure, but it seems at least a LITTLE bit staged to me. Personally, I would have been happy to get ANY car at that age, but my family wasn't wealthy.Any spoiled brats I knew would have taken a look at it, made their complaint, and left in tears. With her standing around whining about the colour for a minute or so doesn't strike me as being a real reaction.
Old 25 January 2007, 08:45 PM

This girl is just a spoiled rotten bitch.
Old 25 January 2007, 08:53 PM

Why would you feel bad for the parents? If she is spoiled, they did it. They are getting exactly what they raised her to be.

*spare the fish...
Old 25 January 2007, 09:10 PM

It appears to be a viral marketing scheme for Domino's Anything Goes Deal promotion. You sign up, solve the puzzles, go on eBay and purchase the prize for 9.99.

This is the first in a series of videos posted on YouTube by user MacKenziehearstu

My Birthday Disaster the original one.

I'm not a spoiled brat MacKenzie's response.

MacKenzie gets what MacKenzie wants MacKenzie gets her blue Saab.

MacKenzie sells her car for 9.99 In which MacKenzie decides to sell her extra car. It's also the first time the anythinggoesdeal.com tag appears.

And the winner is... MacKenzie announces the winner and plugs a Dominos pizza.

Now it was suggested in some of the comments I saw that the first one was real and Dominos created the viral marketing around it. I tend to think it's all a set up.

Oh the CarMax ad seems to be capitalizing on the video. This is probably the one mentioned in the commercial thread.

Gibbie

So far I can't find any appearance for this video earlier that December 14, 2006, which is when "MacKenzie's" brother posted it. It was then added on December 20th to "MacKenzie's" site. I think it's been created by Dominos all the way.

Last edited by Gibbie; 25 January 2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 25 January 2007, 10:03 PM
Lemonaida

What lousy advertising...Did any of that actually make you want to buy a Dominos pizza? The whole thing kind of nauseated me....
Old 31 January 2007, 02:59 AM

I was going to say it looked staged, then I read the rest of the replies...
It actually reminded me of an episode of "My Super Sweet Sixteen" (yeah, I watch it--I like to roll my eyes at the spoiled brats.) There was a girl whose father took her outside in the middle of her 'sweet sixteen' party, covered her eyes, all of that, and then when she saw the car (with a bow) that was waiting there you could tell she was really annoyed and not happy. I didn't see the whole episode so I don't know if they showed the car earlier, but it turned out she was upset because it was a car her parents had already given her. Then someone drove up in a second car-- they had bought her a SECOND car.
Old 05 February 2007, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I definitely thought that it seemed staged.
And it definitely reminded me of my super sweet sixteen. In my Taste class we had a whole discussion about that show and how bratty they are. We decided that we watch the show because it makes us feel better because we don't act like that. Maybe that was the point of the whole marketing scheme.
Old 05 February 2007, 09:28 PM
Fiver

This reminds me of someone I know, but it was a slightly different situation. A girl was turning seventeen, and her parents said that she could get a car, or rhinoplasty. Her mother (who I assume has some sort of vanity issues)pressured her into getting the rhinoplasty, and then, when she had done that, they got her a car anyway. It always struck me as odd, because she had a normal nose before, and why would her mother want her to get a nose job more than she did?