snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 21 May 2015, 07:48 PM

Icon84 FL dentist allegedly performed unwanted procedures, abused children

Quote:
Going to the dentist is a rite of passage, of sorts, but what's alleged to have happened at the hands of 78-year-old Dr. Howard Schneider was not.
http://www.wfsb.com/story/29121003/f...bused-children
Old 24 May 2015, 04:47 PM

I know that some dentists and doctors don't take Medicaid patients, but are the one that do so few and far that you would still go to one, even if he would not allow you in the exam room with the child?
Old 24 May 2015, 05:04 PM

As with all other medical facilities, it depends on your location. In some places there is only one of a particular specialty that takes medicaid. Right now I and a lot of other people are having problems because the only neurologist in the county stopped accepting medicaid. If other medicaid dentists are a good distance away, some people may feel forced into going to this one. Especially poor people with no transportation, as many medicaid patients are.
Old 24 May 2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I know that some dentists and doctors don't take Medicaid patients, but are the one that do so few and far that you would still go to one, even if he would not allow you in the exam room with the child?
Almost all the pediatric dentists near me don't allow the parents to go back with the children. I was shocked the 1st time I took my son (and luckily they let me go back that 1st time, but made it clear that in the future I would have to wait in the lobby). After that, I just ended up taking him to a regular dentist & skipping the pediatric dentists.

And from my googling afterwards, it appears to be very common.