snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 20 February 2014, 02:29 PM

Default Cat Bites Are Linked To Depression

Quote:
What's the matter--cat bite your hand? After combing through the health records of 1.3 million people over 10 years, researchers found an unusual link between cat bites and depression. More than 41 percent of those who had presented to hospitals with cat bites were also treated for depression at some point. Furthermore, 86 percent of the people that had been both bitten and diagnosed with depression were women. If you are a woman who's been bitten by a cat, there's nearly a 50 percent chance that you will be diagnosed with depression at some point, the study suggests.
http://www.popsci.com/article/scienc...ked-depression
Old 20 February 2014, 02:33 PM

I was badly bitten by my daughter's cat some years back, but I'd already been treated for depression before that happened.
Old 20 February 2014, 02:43 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I was badly bitten by my daughter's cat some years back, but I'd already been treated for depression before that happened.
Which may well be consistent with the research, actually. Right now they only have correlation. if there is a causative link, it could just as easily be that cats tend to bite people with a depression-prone biology as that the cats are transmitting a depression germ.
Old 20 February 2014, 02:55 PM

In my case, I'm pretty sure the bite was a fluke. I don't know if I rolled over on him or he had a bad dream or what, but he seemed just as surprised as I was to find his teeth sunk bone-deep into my finger (in the brief moment before he let go and ran like hell).
Old 20 February 2014, 03:39 PM

I tend to feel more depressed when I don't have a cat around.
Old 20 February 2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
And there's another possible reason. Maybe people prone to depression are more likely to have pet cats and be in a position to be bitten.
Old 20 February 2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_TKD View Post
And there's another possible reason. Maybe people prone to depression are more likely to have pet cats and be in a position to be bitten.
And maybe they need treatment for depression when they get rid of their cats because they were bitten.
Old 20 February 2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I was just going to point out that if I couldn't be around cats that would make me depressed (though whether clinically depressed or not I don't know; and don't particularly want to find out.)
Old 20 February 2014, 09:21 PM

Bonsai Kitten

I'm diagnosed clinically depressed and yes, I've been bitten and scratched. One cat got me when I was trying to pull him off a dog, another when I was trying to remove her head from an aluminum can.

If it weren't for the cats I've had in my life, I don't know whether I'd have bothered to even try to get treatment for the depression. My mantra on those "don't know how I can deal" days is "Someone has to feed the cats. There is only you to feed the cats. Therefore you must get up."
Old 20 February 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
If it weren't for the cats I've had in my life, I don't know whether I'd have bothered to even try to get treatment for the depression. My mantra on those "don't know how I can deal" days is "Someone has to feed the cats. There is only you to feed the cats. Therefore you must get up."
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to give herself these cat-based pep talks.

I wonder about another possible causative factor--that people with depressive tendencies are more likely to be cat people. It seems like dog people tend to be more extraverted than cat people, in my experience; I don't know whether that correlates with depression or likelihood to seek treatment for it.