snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 16 August 2017, 07:31 PM

Icon106 Remembering the King: Elvis Presley died 40 years ago today

Today, Aug. 16, marks the 40th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, known the world over as the "King of Rock 'n' Roll."

Presley was just 42 years old when he passed away at his Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee, from a heart attack.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=49251303
Old 16 August 2017, 07:40 PM

I was watching TV with my mother when they broke into the program (IIRC Another World) to say that the King had died. We knew immediately who they meant .

42 seems young to me now. Back then while I certainly didn't see it as a ripe old age I was young enough to think he'd lived a good long life.
Old 16 August 2017, 08:40 PM

There are certain of us who have kind of an irrational bitterness that his death so greatly over-shadowed that of Groucho Marx three days later. Of course, Elvis died rather suddenly at a young age, whereas Groucho was 86 and had been ill for some time; but his impact as a show business legend was, or should be, at least on a par with Elvis.

That said, while it was generally considered "cool" by most of my peers to disparage Elvis, I never felt that way. He was perhaps not a creative genius on a par with so many others in popular music, but he was unquestionably a brilliant performer, and a major force in popularizing rock and roll and some of the forms from which it derived. He also served as a great inspiration to many other performers. Absolutely no one to dismiss from consideration.

And, some of his stuff is pretty darned good, really.
Old 17 August 2017, 02:14 AM

I was 7 and in grade 2 at school. All I remember about it was talking about it with some boys at school. I don't really think we had any real idea of who he was but our parents and/or teachers must have been talking about it or have been upset. Actually I am only assuming that was who it was but it was too early for Lennon and I can't think who else it would have been at that time.
Old 17 August 2017, 03:06 AM

I remember the eight track got a lot of work those days. I don't think my dad was such a big Elvis fan - I don't recall hearing his music in the house before or since, except when I snuck a listen to dad's records - but I think it reminded him of the loss of Buddy Holly and others over those decades. It was the end of an era for a lot of people.
Old 17 August 2017, 01:39 PM

Elvis was the musical leveller in my family. My grandmother, my mother and I all liked him. One of my favourite memories as a young teen is the time when my grandmother was visiting us and we all stayed up late to watch the telecast of "Elvis from Hawaii". Good times .
Old 17 August 2017, 04:56 PM

My mom still enjoys her Elvis music, but my dad just tolerates it, so she usually listens to Elvis in the car.

I still got quite a dose of Elvis music while growing up. I don't remember watching the news or my mother's reaction. But I'm certain feeling a bit old at the moment. I'm 5 years older than the King!
Old 17 August 2017, 09:35 PM

My Mom was a big fan. One of my juvenile exercises in music piracy: I bought a boxed set of 45s with a bunch of his hits for my mom as a present. Most of the discs were fine, but a few were scratched. So, I returned them for a refund...but not before recording the good ones onto a cassette for my mom to keep. (To any members of the RIAA reading this, this was like in 1975, OK? Sheesh.)

I had a copy of the tape myself for years, and played it occasionally, generally when none of my friends were around.

Now, my brother's first wife, on the other hand...yow. I didn't see it so much when they were actually married. But a few years after they divorced, I went by her apartment to pick up my niece, and....OMG. It was a shrine. Paintings, posters, statues, just everywhere. A bit much.

Now, my brother's second wife had much the same kind of worship for David Bowie, but that of course is perfectly reasonable.
Old 18 August 2017, 06:21 PM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
There are certain of us who have kind of an irrational bitterness that his death so greatly over-shadowed that of Groucho Marx three days later.
I remember hearing about both of those deaths. Charlie Chaplin died that year as well, as did Bing Crosby.
Old 18 August 2017, 06:46 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I remember hearing about both of those deaths. Charlie Chaplin died that year as well, as did Bing Crosby.
Marc Bolan as well.
Old 18 August 2017, 11:25 PM

And Freddie Prinze.
Old 19 August 2017, 01:30 PM

Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me but it sounds like people are saying because others also died that year that no one should particularly care about Elvis Presley or that caring about him somehow diminishes the deaths of others.
Old 21 August 2017, 01:11 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
.OMG. It was a shrine. Paintings, posters, statues, just everywhere. A bit much.

My parents once sold a car to someone whose living room was a shrine to The King as well.
Old 21 August 2017, 01:23 PM

I know a family for whom Elvis was a family business. The wife made and sold costumes for Elvis impersonators, and IIRC the husband and their son were hobby impersonators.
Old 21 August 2017, 02:43 PM

Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me but it sounds like people are saying because others also died that year that no one should particularly care about Elvis Presley or that caring about him somehow diminishes the deaths of others.
It should be noted that at the time Elvis died, he was still an active performer and recording artist (albeit somewhat erratically towards the end), and thus his death was an untimely one that was likely to draw more news coverage for that reason alone. The others mentioned here (e.g., Groucho Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Bing Crosby), as influential as they may have been, were relics of bygone eras when they finally passed.
Old 22 August 2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
It should be noted that at the time Elvis died, he was still an active performer and recording artist (albeit somewhat erratically towards the end), and thus his death was an untimely one that was likely to draw more news coverage for that reason alone. The others mentioned here (e.g., Groucho Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Bing Crosby), as influential as they may have been, were relics of bygone eras when they finally passed.
True, Elvis had just returned to the spotlight in fact, having released what would be his final studio LP, Moody Blue just a month before his death. Way Down was a song from that album (released the month prior to the album itself) that had seen some airplay, peaking at 31 in the top 40, but was falling off the charts. After Elvis' death the song went back up the charts, hitting number 18.

Bing Crosby had been in the news just before his death as having signed on to do a Road picture with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour, so he would have been active, albeit in a "retrospective" sort of way. His final Christmas program with guest David Bowie would air the December following his death.