snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04 July 2014, 02:14 AM

Default How Botox Can Solve the Depression Epidemic

In 2003, Finzi treated several subjects suffering from moderate to severe depression with Botox, paralyzing the muscles in their brows that create expressions of sadness, anger, and fear. The results were astonishing.
[...]
Having read Finzi’s studies, I expected that the emotional impact of the Botox would be internal—that I would feel different inside. But I also noticed a reaction to the Botox in the people I encountered. My mother had always told me that if you’re not frowning more people will want to talk to you, and she was right. As David Matsumoto, a professor of psychology at San Francisco State University and a renowned expert in expression, says, “If your expression changes, then of course how people are perceiving you will change.” Finzi once told me about an older female patient of his who hadn’t socialized in years because of her depression. After Botox, she felt well enough to attend her high school reunion and ended up in a relationship with her high school boyfriend.

But paralyzing the brow doesn’t just eliminate a person’s ability to frown, thereby causing that person to make a cheerier impression. It takes away a key communication tool—facial postures are called expressions for a reason—and this interferes with the ability to empathize. If you were telling me a sad story, my face typically would reflect the expressions on your face. My eyebrows would knit together and rise, even if only slightly; my lip might jut out a little. Those reactions, created by what are called mirror neurons—the neurons responsible for reflecting the expression, and therefore the mood, of the person you’re interacting with—wouldn’t just tell you that I was listening. They would help me feel what you were feeling.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/heal...feeling-84227/