snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 16 June 2013, 09:23 PM

Default Arnold Schwarzenegger confirms return as the Terminator, Conan

Quote:
America’s favorite political beefcake Arnold Schwarzenegger may have singlehandedly topped the year’s best/worst movie news, confirming to fans that he’ll be returning to the big screen as Terminator in “Terminator 5.”

He told the fan site The Arnold Fans.com that filming will begin in 2014:

“I’m very happy that the studios want me to be in Terminator 5 and to star AS the Terminator, which we start shooting in January,” says the former Governator. “I’m also going to do King Conan – to play that role and also to do another Twins movie. So I feel very proud of that. I feel very happy, and I’m looking forward to doing those films.”
http://www.salon.com/2013/06/13/arno...he_terminator/

I really hope he's joking, at least about the last part. If not, then that at least confirms that Hollywood has totally run out of ideas definitively - is there anyone that's screaming for a sequel to Twins of all things? 25 years after the original?

Also, let me just say that The Last Stand pretty much showed that it's hard to make a 65 year old man into a credible action star, and another couple of years is unlikely to help for Terminator 4 or the Conan Sequel.

- Il-Mari
Old 16 June 2013, 10:52 PM

Australia

They could do a good Conan movie with Arnie if they went for old Conan - a king way past his prime, never too bright to begin with, and struggling with comprehending that his time is nearly over.

Dropbear
Old 16 June 2013, 11:05 PM

Conan the Octogenarian!
Old 16 June 2013, 11:15 PM

Australia

Cohen the Barbarian

Dropbear
Old 17 June 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il-Mari View Post
Also, let me just say that The Last Stand pretty much showed that it's hard to make a 65 year old man into a credible action star, and another couple of years is unlikely to help for Terminator 4 or the Conan Sequel.- Il-Mari
I could perhaps see a Conan sequel working if they make the plot about the character being older.

For Terminator 5 it seems like they would have to some pretty extensive CGI enhancement, since the terminators are supposed to be identical machines that never age.
Old 17 June 2013, 03:00 AM

Borg

But what if, what if... John Connor has an older, more fatherly, version of the T800 custom made after capturing the production facility to fill the void in his life that came from never knowing his father (at least not in the "normal" fashion)? Terminator 5 as a feel good movie!

They could call it Terminator 5: Peace on Earth! I suppose Silent Night would also be a suitable subtitle.

The trailer would end with Schwarzenegger, dressed in a Santa suit (suit and hat with sunglasses, but no white beard/wig), kicking open a door (complete with wreath), cut to a close up of Schwarzenegger's face: he says "Merry Christmas," cut to a cowboy shot of Schwarzenegger (front view from the thighs up), burst of fire from a belt fed machinegun, followed briefly by the sound of shell casings rattling across a hard floor and groans from someone behind the camera, then one last "double tap" from the machine gun, silence, and Schwarzenegger then closes the scene by saying "baby," still in the cowboy shot. Cut to black, Terminator theme music, then in deep narrator voice "Terminator 5... Peace on Earth, coming to a theater near you, Christmas, 2015."

ETA: Or do you think it would work better if he opened fire immediately after kicking open the door, paused to groans/shells rattling, said "Merry Christmas", fired off the two rounds, and closed with "baby"? Yeah, that's probably the way to go...

Last edited by ASL; 17 June 2013 at 03:08 AM.