snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 11 June 2018, 08:19 PM

Icon05 IHOP Becomes IHOb, The International House Of ... Burgers

IHOP the International House of Pancakes is changing its name to IHOb and will now feature burgers, the company said in a tweet that was not posted on April Fool's Day. It remains to be seen whether the change will be permanent or merely a flash in the pan (cake) to promote hamburgers.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/11/61884...use-of-burgers
Old 11 June 2018, 08:22 PM

Bacon

When the original tweet went out last week, my guess was that the B would stand for Breakfast, in an attempt to let people know they served other stuff in the morning. I can see the rationale here, but...well, to take from my favorite part of the story:

Quote:
The Wendy's burger chain weighed in on the entrance of a potential new competitor, proclaiming, "Not really afraid of the burgers from a place that decided pancakes were too hard."
Yowch.

Now that I think of it, though, the "International House of Bacon" would have had potential...
Old 11 June 2018, 09:35 PM

I was wondering why they used a lower-case B until I realised it meant they didn't have to buy any new letters for their signs, just flip the P upside-down. (Well, actually that wouldn't help because they'd have to reverse it as well, and the mountings would be on the wrong side).

It does have the superficial appearance of a joke, doesn't it?
Old 11 June 2018, 10:10 PM

I had seen a few headlines but had no idea what the 'b' was supposed to stand for. Never in a million years would I have guessed burgers.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:32 PM

Spit Take

Old 12 June 2018, 01:47 AM

Someone called the OB resemblance last week when they first changed the logo over. The best part about it has been all of the brand Twitter accounts banding together with Wendy's over it. I would love to see what ever kind of back room chatter is going on between their various social media managers.
Old 12 June 2018, 02:04 AM

Odd move, but they're probably desperate. I don't think they've been faring too well. Most people seem to have assumed the "b" would be for "breakfast", but I think that might have exacerbated their problems. Operating an entire restaurant just for breakfast hours is a tough niche. I think that's already been a branding problem getting people to come into a mediocre pancake restaurant for lunch and dinner. Going all in on breakfast would have just reinforced their problem. I don't think that lack of awareness of other breakfast foods that they serve was the thing holding them back, so while superficially logical "breakfast" wouldn't have gained them anything.
Old 12 June 2018, 02:49 AM

Are they only open breakfast hours? I thought they were a 24/7 restaurant like Denny's.
Old 12 June 2018, 03:10 AM

They are 24/7 almost all the locations I've seen. Like Denny's, they do a lot of breakfast/lunch business and then are a go to place when the concerts end and the bars start closing. They've always had burgers and other lunch/dinner options on the menu, it just hasn't been emphasized in their advertising.
Old 12 June 2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Are they only open breakfast hours? I thought they were a 24/7 restaurant like Denny's.
They are open for lunch and dinner (but often not 24 hours).

My point wasn't that they don't serve lunch and dinner, but that they've had trouble getting people to show up for lunch and dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
They are 24/7 almost all the locations I've seen.
Denny's always seems to be 24 hours, that's their thing. IHOP varies depending on the market.
Old 12 June 2018, 02:44 PM

Wendy's twitter responses were savage, but they always are...
I also liked Burger King's response, turning their logo into "Pancake King"

Old 12 June 2018, 03:56 PM

I see.

Around here, IHOP has never been very big, in part because there are already two more local chains that are quite popular: Elmer's (formerly Elmer's Pancake House) and Sherry's. Both do the breakfast-all-day thing but are also known for their lunch and dinner options.
Old 12 June 2018, 05:11 PM

crockoduck, I think a big part of why IHOP became IHOB is because they are not very big ANYWHERE. I've not seen any polling so I am just going with my gut, but IHOP has always seemed to be a third string chain. The last time I was in one was about 10 years ago, since it was the only place within walking distance of the house my wife and I were staying at, and we didn't want to drive at 11 PM to find a quick meal. IHOP served that function well: it served food that was not terrible, and was open when a lot of other places were not.
Old 12 June 2018, 05:20 PM

IHOP was always one of those chains we wanted to try because we'd hear it mentioned on American TV but didn't have one anywhere around us. Last time we went down to the States we went to IHOP and I have to say we liked it. Now would we go regularly if we had one nearby? I don't know. We have our own breakfast oriented chains, Cora's as one example, so it's not like we're lacking for a place to go. That said it's not like there aren't a million pizza and burger chains out there so why not another breakfast/lunch type place.

Is IHOP not popular because it's not as good as the competition or is it not a cool place to eat anymore?
Old 12 June 2018, 05:25 PM

Sue, in my experience it was fine, but that is it. There are so many other places that are GOOD. Locally there are a couple of chains that serve good breakfast all day, plus good burgers and other things. IHOP is...fine. Perkins is good. On those days I do go out to get breakfast, why would I go to fine when I can get good for the same price?
Old 12 June 2018, 05:26 PM

Not these days. I kind of remember IHOP being a thing back in the 70's and 80's. But not so much these days nor for the last couple of decades. I think they really struggled with the changing American eating habits that started in the 80's and never really found a place for themselves again.

I've eaten in one once or twice in the 21st century and they just don't seem to be what I remember from my childhood. Even their namesake, pancakes, seem to have been simplified and become mundane, barely anything "International" in them anymore. I have memories back in the day of there being a much more expansive and interesting options in decades past.

This is another example of how all chain restaurants in America are becoming the same restaurant all serving the exact same market researched menu. The dw and I almost never go to national chains anymore. We even avoid local and regional chains as a general rule, preferring to try and find some local place that serves up something interesting and different, not the same thing that can be had in a dozen different places.
Old 12 June 2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Is IHOP not popular because it's not as good as the competition or is it not a cool place to eat anymore?
I think big chain restaurants in general aren't cool places to eat anymore. I keep hearing about how other places, like Applebee's are in decline as well. I kind of wonder if the prevalence of smartphones and the ability to look up reviews on Yelp and the like affect where people go to eat. Before, if I was in an unfamiliar city and needed to eat dinner and saw a Chili's or something, I'd be likely to stop there because I had a general idea of what I'd be getting. Now I'm more likely to pull out my phone, see what restaurants are nearby, look at reviews, menus, etc., and end up at some local place.
Old 12 June 2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I kind of wonder if the prevalence of smartphones and the ability to look up reviews on Yelp and the like affect where people go to eat.
That's definitely a part of it. But even when not traveling, consumers are becoming pickier, more demanding, and more health conscious. Not necessarily healthier overall, since there are competing forces at work, but to the point where a pile of bread soaked in butter and sugar is a less acceptable breakfast food. And if people are in the mood to indulge in empty calories like that, they at least want it to be really good. IHOP is a waste, because it's not even that good despite how unhealthy it is.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
pile of bread soaked in butter and sugar is a less acceptable breakfast food.
Well yeah! You've gotta have some egg in there too.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I think big chain restaurants in general aren't cool places to eat anymore. I keep hearing about how other places, like Applebee's are in decline as well. I kind of wonder if the prevalence of smartphones and the ability to look up reviews on Yelp and the like affect where people go to eat. Before, if I was in an unfamiliar city and needed to eat dinner and saw a Chili's or something, I'd be likely to stop there because I had a general idea of what I'd be getting. Now I'm more likely to pull out my phone, see what restaurants are nearby, look at reviews, menus, etc., and end up at some local place.
Totally agree with you there. I've traveled a lot for work in the past (but not currently), and unless recommended by a local, I'd stick with the chains. I can't remember the last time I stepped into a Chili's, yet it used to be my favorite.

I also think the "eat local" movement has some part to play in it.

Also, the general aversion to gluten... Pancakes are full of gluten!

I also view IHOP as an old style diner (which they aren't, not really anyways).

Waffle House are always packed around here (somewhat similar yet "less fancy" (lol) than IHOP), but they seldom ever advertise.

OY