snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 24 May 2018, 01:16 AM

Default Elon Musk accuses the media of "sugarcoating" lies

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk is ratcheting up his war with the press, accusing media companies in a tweet of hypocrisy and of having lost the public's trust. He also vowed to launch a website where users "can rate the core truth of any article" and track the credibility of journalists and publications.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...rcoating-lies/
Old 24 May 2018, 01:17 AM

Someone sounds a little butt-hurt.

~Psihala
Old 24 May 2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Musk held a combative phone call with analysts in which he cut people off and berated some for asking "boring bonehead questions."
I heard some of that call on NPR a few weeks ago. After that I was already thinking he sounded just like Trump even without criticizing the media.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:13 AM

They've been quoting him uncritically, then? (Ha ha!)
Old 24 May 2018, 02:45 PM

From the article posted:

Quote:
Going to create a site where the public can rate the core truth of any article & track the credibility score over time of each journalist, editor & publication. Thinking of calling it Pravda …
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 23, 2018
Is he being deliberately ironic? or just historically clueless?
Old 24 May 2018, 02:49 PM

My feeling is that it was a deliberate jab at the press.

~Psihala
Old 24 May 2018, 03:21 PM

Well, that's probably how he intended it, but calling his own site, that he's thinking of setting up to advance his personal agenda, "Pravda" misses the mark a bit.

I wonder if he's really clueless enough to think that truth, accuracy and impartiality are things determined by a public vote, too?
Old 24 May 2018, 03:22 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
He also vowed to launch a website where users "can rate the core truth of any article" and track the credibility of journalists and publications.
So this website will score the credibility of journalists and news outlets based on users' votes, and not require any research or analysis of the stories being voted on? Sounds like a fine, accurate, and impartial way of measuring the truth to me!

ETA: Spanked!

Last edited by ChasFink; 24 May 2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spanked
Old 24 May 2018, 03:36 PM

When the going gets tough, the tough whine about it on Twitter.

~Psihala
Old 24 May 2018, 04:39 PM

Musk is kind of a classic example of how being successful at something leads to the Dunning Kruger effect in a lot of other areas.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:15 PM

I hope this doesn't become some big scandal. Elon-gate would just go on and on...
Old 24 May 2018, 06:18 PM

I used to admire the cars, and really wished I could have a model S. It sounds like the 3 has some problems, as has the X. But the more I've heard from Musk himself, the more I've come to believe he is dangerously reckless and irresponsible.

So starting a media watchdog site, but having the content decided by popular vote*, and naming it for an entity famous for propaganda, alternate facts, and being the mouth piece of a single political party, sounds about right.

* Not just popular vote, but web voting, which pretty much guarantees that it will have no validity in even reflecting the views of the populace.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:15 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
* Not just popular vote, but web voting, which pretty much guarantees that it will have no validity in even reflecting the views of the populace.
Indeed, not even a proper "public vote".

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for him, though, speaking from my huge position of privilege. He probably still thinks of himself as a person who can make casual remarks about things on the sort of social media that the rest of us use (or don't) - maybe without thinking them through; maybe even making comments after a glass of wine or two - maybe he thinks he's talking to his friends. In these cases, for him as a human being, I can give him as much leeway as anybody. (Which should be a fair amount, as far as I'm concerned).

But if he's as clever a CEO as he thinks he is, he wouldn't have put these ideas out publicly in the first place, and probably shouldn't be objecting to criticism now. It appears that his own life is still unfulfilling enough that he wants the audience if it will agree with him, but he feels above any criticism or disagreement that might arise...
Old 24 May 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I hope this doesn't become some big scandal. Elon-gate would just go on and on...
Not to derail, but I appreciate this pun.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:31 AM

Just read about braking problems one model of the Tesla is having. It takes too great of distance to stop. Musk says that a "firmware" change will be made to shorten the braking distance. What is a "firmware" change? A software change would mean the computer applies the brakes more firmly. A hardware change would me bigger brakes are to be installed or, more likely, a more aggressive brake pad. But a "firmware" change?
Old 25 May 2018, 12:48 AM

Firmware definition.

~Psihala
Old 25 May 2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Just read about braking problems one model of the Tesla is having. It takes too great of distance to stop. Musk says that a "firmware" change will be made to shorten the braking distance. What is a "firmware" change? A software change would mean the computer applies the brakes more firmly. A hardware change would me bigger brakes are to be installed or, more likely, a more aggressive brake pad. But a "firmware" change?
Musk probably doesn't really know the difference between hardware, firmware and software.

Usually "firmware" refers to software that is the direct connection between software and hardware. For example, a printer driver that takes generic print commands from a program and creates the specific commands needed for a particular printer is firmware. Another use for "firmware" is software in a piece of hardware that runs the machine in response to external commands but that software is unchangeable. So a printer would also include internal firmware that actually runs the printer but that software is usually unchangeable.

I suspect that in this case it is actually a software change that is needed to improve the braking behavior.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:34 AM

Okay, firmware is just a type of software. As you can see, even though the state of Texas has me licensed as a computer engineer, I ain't such.

ETA: Forgot to say thanks per hitting post.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
Musk we do this?
Old 25 May 2018, 07:48 AM

Yes. Every time you think Elon-gate is over, a new way to stretch things out will be found.