snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 24 May 2018, 01:13 AM

Default Harley-Davidson workers stunned by plant closure after tax cut

Tim Primeaux has worked at the Harley-Davidson plant in Kansas City, Missouri, for 17 years. He was sure he was going to retire from the company.

That all changed when Harley-Davidson told its 800 employees in January that the plant will be closing next year. Operations will be shifted to the motorcycle manufacturer's facility in York, Pennsylvania.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...ax-cut-n876901
Old 24 May 2018, 03:16 AM

Hey, us baby boomers are getting too old to ride motorcycles. Plus Harley's product line is too much like Porsche's used to be. They make a traditional bike but unlike Porsche who now even makes an SUV, HD doesn't seem to have an alternative. Oh and before you ask, I don't know what the alternative might be. This despite the fact that I have a motorcycle driver's license.
Old 24 May 2018, 03:20 AM

“If my girls want to work there it’s a good place to work,” said Primeaux, adding that the plant closure has not affected his support for President Donald Trump. “I blame the company more than I blame the president.”

“We gotta accept it," said Pence, who turns 60 next year. “It’s truly hard.”

From the cited article. Thus proving that turnip supporters have no touch with reality.
Old 24 May 2018, 03:47 AM

I admittedly know very little about motorcycles, but I seem to recall hearing that for a long time Harley Davidson has made more money off selling branded merchandise vs selling motorcycles. I recall hearing that the bikes themselves were really more about image than quality: performance wise they're supposedly on the low end of the spectrum.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I recall hearing that the bikes themselves were really more about image than quality
That's exactly what a former coworker who does ride motorcycles said -- that Harleys are based on very dated technology (what Richard calls "traditional"), and that they're more about image than making good bikes.
Old 24 May 2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I admittedly know very little about motorcycles, but I seem to recall hearing that for a long time Harley Davidson has made more money off selling branded merchandise vs selling motorcycles. I recall hearing that the bikes themselves were really more about image than quality: performance wise they're supposedly on the low end of the spectrum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That's exactly what a former coworker who does ride motorcycles said -- that Harleys are based on very dated technology (what Richard calls "traditional"), and that they're more about image than making good bikes.
That is my father's opinion too, that they are relying completely on image. . He is not a bike rider and hasn't been one for over 50 years but he keeps up on these things.

I remember, about twenty years ago, when a first got the internet at home, a women who I would catch the bus with, and her boyfriend coming over to do some research on the net on Harleys. He had just bought a new Harley and wasn't happy. I don't what he expected to find on their website to help him with "lemon" he had bought but I thought I would have him out.

Dad has said that one of the original owners (either Mr Harley or Mr Davidson) wasn't happy with how the company was going now and had brought it back to fix things. I can't comment on the truth of this though. Are they even still alive.
Old 24 May 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Are they even still alive.
I doubt it. The company's official website says it was founded by William S. Harley (d. 1943), Arthur Davidson (Sr. - d. 1950), Walter Davidson, and William A. Davidson in 1903. Their descendants might have had some say about the direction the company was going at some point, but while I didn't find any biographical info on Walter and William in a quick search, the founders themselves are apparently all gone and/or not directly involved anymore.

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 24 May 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 30 May 2018, 04:05 PM

I understand people being shocked, simply shocked that the tax cut for companies and the 1% isn't making the economy better. Wal-Mart instead of raising pay, gave bonuses, as did others. Acquisition of competitors or complementary businesses seems to be proceeding rapidly. And companies like H-D doing this will continue.
I think it probably is true that Harley makes more on merchandise, their bikes are really expensive, even compared to the revamped Indian bikes with their also-traditional look. Compare the number of bikes you see to t-shirts, decals on trucks, etc.
I am sorry for those losing their jobs, and I am hopeful for a turn-around politically, if we get away from our devices and talk with each other.

Ali
Old 30 May 2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A friend of mine who rides fairly seriously used to say to his friends who were staunch Harley defenders, "if Harley made a plane, would you get on it?" According to him, most of them admitted that they'd think twice.