snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 21 March 2013, 12:32 PM

Default My aunt died

She was 91 and had been suffering badly from Alzheimer's, so it's a release. She lived next door to us when I was a kid, and her daughter, my first cousin, and I grew up almost like brother and sister--we were the same age. Today I'll have to go to the funeral between classes, which is pushing it, but I'll manage.

My fondest memory: She took my cousin and me to the fair when we were kids, but she adamantly refused to let us ride anything good--not the Tilt-a-Whirl, not the Rockets, not even the Ferris wheel. She thought the swings would be safe enough. You know--the swings dangling from a tall pylon, the kind that rotate like a carousel.

We got up to speed and swung out at a thirty-five degree angle. My cousin and I were sitting side by side in swings behind my aunt, who was on the outside directly in front of me.

My aunt shouldn't have had that corn dog. Suddenly she began to vomit spectacularly and copiously. The centripetal force of the swings kept me safe, because the spray arched outward over the festive multitudes of hicks enjoying the fair. They screamed, shrieked, and fled. It was like a scene from Gorgo.

One of my most treasured childhood moments. Aunt Claudine, RIP.
Old 21 March 2013, 12:39 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, Brad. Your story made me laugh and wonder what experience my grandson will most remember when I am gone.
Old 21 March 2013, 01:59 PM

It is sad to hear that you have lost someone close, but I did also enjoy the vivid memory. Here's hoping you can get together with people who have similar ones to share.
Old 21 March 2013, 03:03 PM

It's funny, beautiful, touching memories like the one you shared, Brad, that help us all to get through difficult times of grief. May these and other memories see you and your family through this one.

My condolences.
Old 21 March 2013, 03:57 PM

My condolences, Brad.

Old 21 March 2013, 04:21 PM

Icon105

Sympathies from me, too, Brad. I loved your memory; it's wonderful the things that stay with us and make us think so fondly of the people involved.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:09 PM

My condolences, Brad. Thank you for sharing the funny and touching memory.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:15 PM

Dog

Thanks, everyone. I just got back from the service, which my younger brother (the Methodist minister) conducted. It was warm and loving and comforting.

My cousin reminded me of another incident: When I was a kid, my aunt took us from New Holland to Gainesville (two miles) to see Old Yeller, since my parents didn't approve of movies and rarely ever went. We took a taxi, since at that time my aunt didn't drive. The old Royal Theater was crammed, and we sat up in the balcony. Afterward, since I was a scrawny kid, the crowds pouring out separated us and by the time I struggled down to the first floor, I couldn't find my aunt and cousin. I went and stood outside the theater for ten or fifteen minutes, then decided the heck with it and walked around the corner to the taxi company and caught a cab home. The driver even let me go in the house to get the buck and a quarter to pay for the ride. I beat my aunt home.

She, meanwhile, was frantically going from aisle to aisle in the theater, because she thought I had remained behind to sit through the movie again, as if any kid could stand to see the dog shot twice.

Ah, the days before cell phones...

ETA: The distance was nothing to me. Nothing! I wasn't at all scared. In the summer, I walked two miles into Gainesville to check books out of the Hall County Library and then walked two miles back home lugging the books. No big deal at all. I was very blase in those days. Once the Gainesville cops picked me up because some kid had run away from home and they thought I was he. They took me to the kid's house, where his mother told them no, her son was much better-looking and better-dressed than I was, and about that time her son came walking up from wherever he'd been goofing off. The cops didn't apologize, so huffily I said, "At least you can drive me back to the library!" They did. For years after that, one of the cops, whenever he saw me, would slow down and yell, "Want a ride?" I always thanked him but turned him down, except for one time when a thunderstorm had blown up. My mom almost had a heart attack when the cop car stopped in front of our house and I climbed out.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:34 PM

Icon06

Brad, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you have your memories and chuckled at them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Old 21 March 2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
as if any kid could stand to see the dog shot twice.
Spoiler alert!

Sorry to hear about your aunt. Aunts are special, they can spoil like grandparents, but can sometimes be easier to relate to.