snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 31 January 2013, 05:29 AM

Default Dreams of Summer

OK....recurring dream that just....really bothers me. The exact details change, but it always involves Summer, and it always reveals that she didn't really have cancer, so didn't need to be put down. Which is....not true, three different vets all agreed she had cancer, she was visibly sick, she dropped ten pounds in a week, she was clearly no longer interested in eating. She was so done at the end that when the vet came to put her down, she didn't even bother to get up to greet him the way she usually did visitors. So why do I keep having dreams that suggest I put her down too quickly?

Magdalene
Old 31 January 2013, 05:45 AM

Because you miss her terribly and it's human nature to second guess all your decisions. I went through the same thing with Evad, and then again with Galaxy, even though their bodies were clearly shutting down and they were in pain.

Old 31 January 2013, 07:42 AM

Default I'm sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
So why do I keep having dreams that suggest I put her down too quickly?
(Please pardon me for making this sound like it's about me, not you -- it's just that I hope that I can share my experiences and you can take from them what you will, or not.)

I tend to think of my brain as having two parts, which don't always agree with each other.

On the one side, I know that my kitty is suffering and it's time to put him/her to sleep, to end their suffering. I have had to do this to several beloved pets. This is the logical side.

On the other side, I know that doing this will put an end to my wonderful time with this companion. I will miss them terribly. This is the emotional side.

Logically, I did the right thing. My pet is not suffering. This is good. But emotionally, I am missing her terribly. I really really want want want for my companion to be still with me. My precious kitty went too soon. Why can't they be with us for many many years???

I'm guessing that your dreams are telling you that you really really miss her. You put her down *not* too quickly for the kitty's needs, but too quickly for your own emotional needs. You did everything right. No blame. But that doesn't mean that the logically correct action negates the emotional response. Kitty is no longer suffering. But you are.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 06 February 2013, 11:38 PM

Hummelcat said it perfectly. I always have the same feelings when I have to put down a pet... goldfish, cat, ferret, iguana, doesn't matter.

My brain takes it even farther for my nightmares, I dream that even after the vet did their thing that I buried the poor critter alive. Shudder.

Summer would want you to have happy dreams, remembering the fun you had together.
Old 06 February 2013, 11:54 PM

Hugs, Magdalene. I had the same dream about my cat, Little Jo even though like Summer her suffering was clear. However, with my cat Whiskers I was plagued with thoughts that I had waited too long and that I was selfish to let her die in my arms.

Trust yourself. Have faith in your vets. you did the right thing.