snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 06 April 2007, 09:19 AM

Royalty Joan of Arc bone a hoax

A rib bone supposedly found at the site where French heroine Joan of Arc was burned at the stake is actually that of an Egyptian mummy, according to researchers who used high-tech science to expose the fake.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...50372/-1/State
Old 07 April 2007, 09:23 PM
SsnakeBite

Yup, it' s been all over the news for several days, here. It' s said it' s not the first time some Joan of Arc "relics" have been found to be hoaxes.

On a side note, this reminds me of a comic I read in which some people paint fake Egyptian paintings in a cave in the Alps, then the news say it' s been discovered that the Egyptians are the ancestors of the French.
Old 07 April 2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnakeBite View Post
On a side note, this reminds me of a comic I read in which some people paint fake Egyptian paintings in a cave in the Alps, then the news say it' s been discovered that the Egyptians are the ancestors of the French.

Aren't they though, in a way? Cave painting hoax aside, aren't the earlies hominids thought to have originated in Africa, then migrated? Those who migrated to Europe may well have passed through, and remainrd for severl generations in what is now called Egypt.
Old 08 April 2007, 01:00 PM

Icon605

Speaking of hoaxes, isn't pretty much all of what is allegedly known about the person in question of dubious historicity?

"Relics" always make me recall an episode of Black Adder in which he, as Archbishop of Canterbury, was raking in cash by selling fake pieces of the cross, etc.
Old 09 April 2007, 02:24 PM

Relics were a serious growth industry for the Church at one time. I used to suspect that if all the splinters of the True Cross were gathered together we would find that JC was the size of King Kong.

Ali "dem bones" Infree
Old 10 April 2007, 03:13 AM

Relics were a massive industry during the Crusades in particular, as the pilgrim would want to take something home.