snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 22 May 2016, 05:44 AM

Default Black Lives Matter leader Charles Wade charged with sex trafficking

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...r-charged-wit/

Quote:
Charles Wade, a prominent Black Lives Matter organizer and co-founder of Operation Help or Hush, was arrested last month and charged with human trafficking and prostitution.

Mr. Wade was arrested at a Howard Johnson Inn in College Park, Maryland, on April 25. Police said he was residing in a motel room where he allegedly pimped a 17-year-old girl, The Daily Caller reported Thursday.

Mr. Wade was held on seven counts relating to felony human trafficking and prostitution. He was bailed out shortly after his arrest, according to a statement he released on Twitter Wednesday.

He was arrested as part of a sting operation in which an undercover officer responded to an ad Mr. Wade allegedly placed for a 23-year-old woman on backpage.com, a website frequently used by sex traffickers and prostitutes, The Daily Caller reported.
Looks like it's only conservative news outlets picking this up. And Jezebel. I've never really believed in "liberal media bias" until recently, because this does seem pretty shady. Leader of liberal darling movement gets arrested on accusations of sex trafficking would seem to be the kind of thing a liberal media wouldn't want to spread around.
Old 22 May 2016, 06:51 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2643885

Dude, this took me no time at all.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news..._year_old.html

Even found it on The Root, a site that is highly sympathetic to the movement.

Beyond that, it's not really big news - the guy is an activist, but not the "leader" of the movement or a particularly prominent member. Maybe that's why largely only conservative sites wanted to run this - it's almost like they rely on people seeing #BlackLivesMatter as a criminal element instead of taking legitimate concerns about race seriously and they need to pretend this guy was more important.

Better that than accept there's an actual problem with race in America, right?
Old 22 May 2016, 09:18 AM

I consider myself anti-racist in that I think it's stupid to judge someone based on the color of their skin. That said I don't agree 100% with BLM's methods at times and think some of them are actually hurting their cause. I really wish it wouldn't delve into identity politics so much as it's usually counter-productive to actual change.
Old 22 May 2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
I consider myself anti-racist in that I think it's stupid to judge someone based on the color of their skin.
Disliking animal products doesn't mean someone's a vegan either.
Old 22 May 2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post

Beyond that, it's not really big news - the guy is an activist, but not the "leader" of the movement or a particularly prominent member. Maybe that's why largely only conservative sites wanted to run this - it's almost like they rely on people seeing #BlackLivesMatter as a criminal element instead of taking legitimate concerns about race seriously and they need to pretend this guy was more important.

Better that than accept there's an actual problem with race in America, right?
Somewhat like the way the right, for years, insisted that Michael Moore spoke for all who weren't right of centre. It wasn't that he wasn't important in his own way but he was hardly our uncrowned king and he certainly never spoke for us all yet when he stumbled (not nearly as catastrophically as the fellow in the OP of course) that seemed to prove to them that all on his side of the divide were wrong, clearly stupid and, of course, nave.
Old 22 May 2016, 03:30 PM

I've always found the various references to someone being a/the leader of the Black Lives Matter movement (usually in trouble somehow) amusing by implying it's some sort of monolithic organization.
There have been a decent number of groups that have popped up lately that might "work" under the same banner, so to speak, but do not have some kind of hierarchy. Occupy movements, Anonymous and even the early tea party movement.
Old 22 May 2016, 10:25 PM

Similar to the case of the Ira Einhorn being called the "leader" or "organiser" of Earth Day, although in that case it seems he helped that rumour. But no one in the news media ever really bothered checking the facts, especially when they wanted to give Earth Day a black eye.
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/easter/earthday.asp