snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 06 June 2013, 05:42 AM

Tsk, Tsk 'Price is Right' exposes fraud when claimant spins the big wheel

Former North Carolina postal carrier Cathy Wrench Cashwell has pleaded guilty to fraud in federal court, after evidence surfaced of her appearance on the TV game show "The Price is Right" while receiving worker's compensation.

http://www.wral.com/-price-is-right-...laim/12511076/
Old 06 June 2013, 05:35 PM

"Oh my check! I mean my neck!"
Old 06 June 2013, 06:33 PM

Cue the loser horn

Old 06 June 2013, 06:45 PM

Icon101

If you're going to fraudulently claim disability to collect worker's compensation payments, is there anything you could possibly do that's dumber than going on national TV?
Old 06 June 2013, 06:52 PM

I could just imagine the "World's Dumbest" crew from Spike TV handling this.

Perhaps, she thought she'd win "big" on TPIR and wouldn't "need" her workman's comp anymore? Delusions of grandeur?
Old 06 June 2013, 06:56 PM

Glasses

snopes, does going to Mexico and posting reviews of your vacation (with pictures) on facebook count? Although in that case, it wasn't worker's comp, it was FMLA (family and medical leave act) related.

Seaboe
Old 06 June 2013, 07:45 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
snopes, does going to Mexico and posting reviews of your vacation (with pictures) on facebook count?
It counts, but I'd say it's still less dumb than going on national TV, since her Facebook page presumably has a much smaller viewership than "The Price Is Right" does.
Old 06 June 2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Cathy Wrench Cashwell's claim that she couldn't lift mail trays into a truck due to a 2004 on-the-job shoulder injury was called into question in September 2009 when she appeared on "The Price is Right" and spun the "big wheel" twice.
Does a physical ailment have to be active 100% of the time in order to qualify for worker's compensation? Those who are injured aren't allowed exceptions, regardless of the context? There's no way I could lift 40 pound objects for 8 hours a day, five days a week with the nerve damage in my arm, but I can carefully lug several cases of water (which weigh about 25.5 pounds) into my cart and then into my pantry at home. If I were claiming worker's compensation, and someone saw me loading the water into my cart and took a picture and then showed it to the authorities, could they use that single moment of time to prove there's somehow nothing wrong with the my arm? That strikes me as a rather unrealistic and easy to manipulate system.
Old 06 June 2013, 08:24 PM

According to the article, they have at least four occasions where she was seen doing things that she wasn't able to do according to her claim. And my reading of her claim is that she couldn't do them at all. In your hypothetical, you'd probably state that you had limited ability to lift but could do light work or occasional lifting.
Old 06 June 2013, 08:40 PM

I would assume that lifting mail trays into a truck wasn't 100% of her job but only part of it. She might be able to argue that she could do the equivalent action once in a while (but not enought to do her job) but if she was arguing that she could never do it then even one incident where she is is going to affect her claim.
Old 07 June 2013, 03:55 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
If you're going to fraudulently claim disability to collect worker's compensation payments, is there anything you could possibly do that's dumber than going on national TV?
How about wrestling a shark away from some kids on a beach in Australia and receiving international press coverage while supposedly on sick leave from your job in Wales?

http://news.msn.com/world/grandfathe...fired-from-job
Old 07 June 2013, 04:14 AM

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
How about wrestling a shark away from some kids on a beach in Australia and receiving international press coverage while supposedly on sick leave from your job in Wales?
That event had an unfortunate outcome for the "sick" worker, but I don't think his saving kids from a shark could fairly be described as "dumb."
Old 07 June 2013, 04:21 AM

Possibly not, but reports suggest that his intervention was unnecessary as the shark was dying and not a direct threat to the kids at that time. But he was not to know that.
Old 07 June 2013, 06:20 AM

From the o.p.

Quote:
Federal investigators say Cashwell knowingly lied when she wrote on her worker's compensation paperwork in September 2011 that she couldn't stand, sit, kneel, squat, climb, bend, reach or grasp.
Damn... that must have been one hell of a shoulder injury.
Old 07 June 2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
That event had an unfortunate outcome for the "sick" worker, but I don't think his saving kids from a shark could fairly be described as "dumb."
Also in that case, the problem was "work related stress" and the family claimed that they'd been advised by their doctor that a holiday was a good idea.
Old 07 June 2013, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Does a physical ailment have to be active 100% of the time in order to qualify for worker's compensation?
That's a really good question. In most places, the answer is no. I wonder whether she wasn't getting disability benefits rather than regular workers' comp. That would explain why, when the injury was in 2004, she was filling out paperwork in 2009 and 2011.

Seaboe
Old 07 June 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
That, and he was apparently on sick leave for "work-related stress." A vacation in Australia might have been just what he needed, and I don't see how having been stressed out would have prevented him from doing anything he did.

ETA: Hmm. I appear to have been spanked some fourteen hours ago. I could swear Richard W's post wasn't there a moment ago!
Old 08 June 2013, 01:40 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that the guy from Wales firing was NFBSK? I mean, c'mon... he was on leave from his job due to high stress that was affecting his mental health. He worked at a boys and girls club. Likely with a large number of children. He went on vacation. Presumably to relax and forget his high stress job. While there he attempts to help children he thinks are in imminent danger. Where exactly is the conflict in this.

ETA-Apparently not. I started reading the article last night before I fell asleep and just got back to it. I do that too often, maybe I need a vacation.

Last edited by nonnieyrissa; 08 June 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08 June 2013, 02:48 AM

I agree, if he was on leave for an injury then perhaps they'd have an argument (though even then, unless the injury would keep him from traveling I'm not sure.. You could say that the rush from trying to fight off a shark helped you overcome your injury temporarily).

As for the OP.. I've heard (and don't know) that fraud with regards to disability is high so if we write them all off with "Well I can do things occasionally, just not all the time" makes it virtually impossible to disprove claims.

In her case, as noted, she has had at least a few instances of doing things you wouldn't typically associate with crippling shoulder pain (zipling, lifting grocery bags, etc).
Old 10 June 2013, 02:09 PM

Glasses

I have a really hard time believing the fraud rate is as high as the OP article claims. I've read a fair number of legal case studies about workers' comp and disability, and the problem is rarely false claims (often, in fact, it's a worker whose performance is borderline or poor, and the question isn't about paying for the injury, it's about whether they can be fired while they're on leave). Nor is the money particularly good. I think these stories make such a huge splash because fraud is not common.

Seabie