snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 January 2018, 09:22 AM

Whalephant

Dear Logitech,

Why did you design, okay and manufacture a keyboard with no caps lock or number lock indicators? I have a group of co-workers willing to road trip with me, hunt you down, and thwack you into next year.

Sincerely,
Stuck with it and not happy
Old 02 January 2018, 01:42 PM

I got a Logitech K840 keyboard because it is designed to feel like the old IBM metal keyboard, with much more feedback than a standard keyboard. Mine has a caps lock indicator, but no num lock indicator. Which is weird because it has a Windows key lock indicator and I don't think anyone uses that.

Don't know if you or your co-workers know this, but you can install a driver that will show a pop-up message on screen to indicate the caps or num lock status. Better than nothing I guess?
Old 03 January 2018, 12:01 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I got a Logitech K840 keyboard because it is designed to feel like the old IBM metal keyboard, with much more feedback than a standard keyboard. Mine has a caps lock indicator, but no num lock indicator. Which is weird because it has a Windows key lock indicator and I don't think anyone uses that.

Don't know if you or your co-workers know this, but you can install a driver that will show a pop-up message on screen to indicate the caps or num lock status. Better than nothing I guess?
We can't, actually. Only corporate can add/uninstall. And they wouldn't for this since they are ultra-controlling about software due to getting hacked for credit cards at a different hotel.
Old 03 January 2018, 02:45 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Dear Caller to talk show: you have to hang up because you're being pulled over? Now I'm not in the car with you, but I imagine it might have to do with the fact that you were on your phone....

Fellow Listener
Old 03 January 2018, 03:06 PM

Dear Fellow Bus Riders --

If, after exiting the bus, you wish to -- or need to -- stroll down the sidewalk at a leisurely pace, please leave room for faster walkers to get around you. We don't want to dog your heels, or crowd you. My natural walking speed is pretty fast in general, even faster when it's 0F out and I have almost a half-mile walk to my office.
Old 03 January 2018, 04:23 PM

France

Dear Mother Nature,

Seriously ? Four named storms in as many weeks ? What's going on ? And what have you got against my country ? Frankly, with the last two months I had, I would very much appreciate having some nice weather, for a change !

A very disgruntled Kermor
Old 03 January 2018, 04:52 PM

Roll eyes

Dear unknown Tweeter to Local Talk Show: one of the issues the host discussed today was the fact that some schools in Baltimore City were really cold. Cold enough that students and presumably staff were wearing coats and hats. You tweeted that the kids should suck it up and not be such wusses; when I was a kid, etc etc etc. I just want to know: is your furnace on? If so, why? I thought furnaces were for sissies. Are you a sissy?

Fellow listener whose had it up to her eyeballs with when I was a kid...
Old 03 January 2018, 05:01 PM

Wait, wearing a coat and/or hat when you are cold is now a sign of weakness?

Are you sure you weren't listening to a remake of The Four Yorkshiremen?
Old 03 January 2018, 05:04 PM

"When I was a kid, only nerds wore coats and hats!"
Old 03 January 2018, 05:16 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wait, wearing a coat and/or hat when you are cold is now a sign of weakness?

Are you sure you weren't listening to a remake of The Four Yorkshiremen?
Apparently for one caller.
I really don't understand the nostalgia for buildings with no HVAC.
I should post that Monty Python bit on the host's FB page.
Old 03 January 2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Dear Logitech,

Why did you design, okay and manufacture a keyboard with no caps lock or number lock indicators? I have a group of co-workers willing to road trip with me, hunt you down, and thwack you into next year.

Sincerely,
Stuck with it and not happy
In pre-windows 10 I believe there as a built in capability to display that info on the status bar.

In windows-10 all you have built is the ability to have a sound play when the locks change.
Old 04 January 2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Dear Fellow Bus Riders --

If, after exiting the bus, you wish to -- or need to -- stroll down the sidewalk at a leisurely pace, please leave room for faster walkers to get around you. We don't want to dog your heels, or crowd you. My natural walking speed is pretty fast in general, even faster when it's 0F out and I have almost a half-mile walk to my office.
This is one of my pet peeves. Not that is ever 0 degree (either F or C) here in sub-tropical Brisbane. But walking is my main form of transport. And my natural speed is also quite fast. Look fellow pedestrians, you can walk as slow as you like, just don't block the whole nfbsk footpath when you do. Get out of my way!!
Old 04 January 2018, 01:57 PM

Blow Your Top

Dear Superintendent of Montgomery County Public Schools: I can't believe you called a snow day considering the coating this part of the state got! On the other hand, you probably had information I did not. You do realize that regardless of your decision, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. I don't envy you at all.
Considering the number of federal employees in the county, perhaps you should use OPM's decision as your standard. Just a thought.

County resident
Old 12 January 2018, 02:06 PM

Dear C,

The last week you've been basically begging to have your evaluations done so you can graduate and move on.

(For those unfamiliar, our scoring system runs from 1 (how the hell are they a doctor) to 5 (second coming of Sir William Osler or Albert Schweitzer). Getting more than about a 4- or 4 demands you'd better be pretty amazing.)

I filled mine out after working with you for about six months, and it was mostly 4, a couple high 3s (think a C+) and a few low 5s (A-). It was honest.

You immediately started complaining that you deserved higher.

Let's roll the tape, shall we?

Interpersonal relationship with staff- I was being generous giving a 4. You've had a running feud with one of the front office staff. They overtly hate each other. I could have given a 3+ and not even blinked- it would have been completely fair.

Patient examination and presentation skills- I gave a 3+, and it was slightly generous. A 3 would have been justified. You crow that you worked as staff doc for an urgent care for "years", was seeing "20-25" a day. Yesterday, we were slammed. I saw 12 old patients, which are about 15 minutes each. Add in 7 new ones, about 30 a shot. Total 19- an annoying day, but not even in my top 20 over the last 3 months.

You were bragging about 13 old patients, and you're still not done with dictating them. 13 is an average day here, and you're struggling even to keep up with that. I've offered help any way I can to speed up and streamline, and you ignore me. I've begged you to dictate at the end when you have 4 patients waiting, and you refuse.

Your re-evaluation exam takes nearly 45 minutes, and your new patients take over an hour. It's bad enough that we don't let you see new patients more than once per day as you slows down the clinic that badly. You seriously didn't notice that?

Interpersonal relationship with patients: 3+, at absolute best. I've had to take over for you 16 times in the last month- where the patient gets partway through and just says "I'm done". Afterward, you never have a moment of introspection over what went wrong. You never did anything wrong, it's always the patient not wanting a woman, or an African-American.

Planning: 3+. You've given bad combinations of meds more than once. Fortunately one of the higher-level staff (me or my colleagues) has caught it every time we are aware of.

I won't even add in all the days you leave early, show up late, or don't even show, and then claim you told the front desk. You don't tell the front desk, you tell ME. I'm the one picking up your slack.

You deserved lower than I gave. You are still badgering me for higher.

I can't wait until you're gone.

C
Old 12 January 2018, 03:47 PM

Casey, why did you give C a passing score since she was not good at dealing with staff or patients, and messed up on drug combinations more than once? Shouldn't that person be weeded out?
Old 12 January 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Casey, why did you give C a passing score since she was not good at dealing with staff or patients, and messed up on drug combinations more than once? Shouldn't that person be weeded out?
A C really isn't a pass in this case. A C basically means "about where they should be", not "ready to move on". A review that lets someone move forward needs to be 4s and 5s, maybe a rare 3+ or two at most. Hers isn't high enough- odds are good my review and my boss's review will keep her down for a while.

It's like the military- a promotion recommendation with "promote" versus "promote immediately" makes all the difference in the world. If you see it from the outside, that review looks pretty good. Those 3+s without 5s to balance them are killer.
Old 12 January 2018, 06:50 PM

Dear President S******e,

Just go away already.

~Someone who wouldn't have voted for you if your name was the only one on the ballot.
Old 12 January 2018, 08:52 PM

Thanks Casey, that makes me feel a lot better.
Old 13 January 2018, 07:41 AM

Dear vBulletin,

I still don't know why you started eating all my posts a few years ago, but I'm glad you stopped whatever it was and allowed me to log back in again now. It's kind of like coming home.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:02 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Dear President S******e,

Just go away already.

~Someone who wouldn't have voted for you if your name was the only one on the ballot.
Dear Psihala: you're not going to like what I just posted in the Fun House forum.

~Shocked Snopester