snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 11 March 2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
Mr Darling is depicted, in the book, play and Disney movie as being pretty clueless about his kids and in some ways is seen as the bad guy in some of his actions. Which makes it less than coincidental that the same actor almost invariably plays Captain Hook (not in the Disney cartoon of course!) -- it may, of course, be to have a smaller cast -- but I've always believed there was a deeper message at work there. Mothers are warm and nurturing - fathers will make you walk the plank .
I have always thought that the double-casting of Mr. Darling and Captain Hook was to make the point that, while Peter never grows up, most boys do grow up to be men--and what kind of men? Does he grow up to be a responsible provider like Mr. Darling, or a greedy, rapacious, piratical parasite like Hook?
Old 11 March 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I used to argue that Tolkien was the King of the Matricides. Most of his characters in Lord of the Rings have dead mamas - including the elves.
Autobiographical. JRRT's own mother died when he was quite young.
Old 11 March 2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
My memory may be bad, but didn't Arwen's mother die? That's the vibe I got anyway.
No, she was captured by Orcs in the Misty Mountains and tortured by them, but she survived (rescued by her sons, Elladan and Elrohir). Elrond was able to heal her physically, but she suffered from what we would call PTSD and sought the Havens for a trip back to Elvenhome.
Old 11 March 2008, 06:58 PM
keepyourkiltdown

I've noticed in most non-traditional Disney movies (i.e. Disney Channel movies) the mother or one parent is usually always missing, usually more often than in the "Disney Classics", and the Disney Channel movies usually aren't based on fairy tales.

And then think about every movie the Olsen twins have ever been in.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:53 PM
britdaw

I have always been disturbed by the 'no mother' trend in most children's movies... But it doesn't seem to be a Disney thing so much as a fairytale thing, you know? I wouldn't blame Disney. Except in Brother Bear, 'cause that was brutal...
Old 21 March 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
In the original book by Dodie Smith, Pongo has a litter of 15 with his mate, Missis. The humans (the Dearlys) call their vet and other dog owners, looking for a possible "foster mother" because Missis doesn't have enough milk. As it happens, one day they find Perdita lying out on a country road, emaciated and abused. She has recently given birth and still has milk left, so she is nursed back to health and then gradually introduced to some of the puppies.
That makes so much sense - I was thinking the other day that "Perdita" must mean "little lost one," and now I know why.
Old 21 March 2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
And Mary Poppins, which, IMHO, is one of Disney's best films in terms of its social ethics, had a surviving mother.
She was alive, but very distant. At least until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepyourkiltdown View Post
I've noticed in most non-traditional Disney movies (i.e. Disney Channel movies) the mother or one parent is usually always missing, usually more often than in the "Disney Classics", and the Disney Channel movies usually aren't based on fairy tales.

And then think about every movie the Olsen twins have ever been in.

Must I?
Old 01 January 2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
Peter Pan is interesting. ... Mr Darling is depicted, in the book, play and Disney movie as being pretty clueless about his kids and in some ways is seen as the bad guy in some of his actions. Which makes it less than coincidental that the same actor almost invariably plays Captain Hook (not in the Disney cartoon of course!) .....
I've been thinking about this, and actually, the actor Hans Conried did play both roles in the Disney cartoon.
Old 01 January 2018, 03:49 AM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The father and Hook are the same (voice) actor in the Disney version, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I've been thinking about this, and actually, the actor Hans Conried did play both roles in the Disney cartoon.
Someone call Guinness! I want to claim the longest spank ever recorded.

Speaking of threads coming back to life, I can't stand zombies; It's one genre that has grown very tiresome. But I would like to see all the Disney parents come back from the dead for one movie. I would watch that.
Old 02 January 2018, 09:52 PM

Let me think about that.
Old 02 January 2018, 10:09 PM

Take your time.
Old 03 January 2018, 12:38 AM

gratuitous text
Old 03 January 2018, 12:40 AM

I wasn't even a member when that spank happened.
Old 24 January 2018, 11:26 PM

I recall reading somewhere that early drafts of the script for Aladdin included his mother -- but apparently she was too interesting a character; as they re-wrote, they found her dominating the story to the point where it was more about her than Aladdin. So they tossed her out entirely. Understandable, but I think it would be an interesting idea to dig up some of those scripts and use them as the premise for a prequel....