snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 11 July 2017, 01:12 PM

Baseball

Seven guesses this week.

1. Pop artists sing a lot about love. I'm going with a heart.

2. Most are aquatic mammals and ducks are birds comfortable on the water. I'm going with dense fur/feathers that keep the skin dry.

3. I believe the denominations are Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson and Franklin (not a president). I'm gonna say Hamilton, just because it is 1/4 at this point.

4. Sexton? I'm going with ringing the bell.

5. I can only think of one capital that has a hyphen, but I am not sure whether it is actually there. Port-au-Prince (maybe Port au Prince?). Don't know any other capital starting with PORT. **Frustrating. I used to pride myself on knowledge of countries and capitals. I'm so out of practice.

6. All have Italian names, I'm either going Mafioso or famous Italian American. Drew is not a "mob" style name. I'm going with Francis Ford Coppola.

7. Have no clue. All the ones I know are intelligent people... I'm going with made a major scientific breakthrough on their show.
Old 11 July 2017, 02:42 PM

Teacher

Not sure I have any right, but what the heck...

1. Ed Sheeran's first three studio albums have one-character names. What symbol is so far notable for its absence from the set?
This is a meaningless question. All symbols save three would be "notable for their absence." And since all the albums arrogantly have actual pronounced names that are not completely discernible form the symbols, one might argue even the statement that they have "one-character names" is untrue.

2. Beavers, muskrats, capybaras, platypi, and otters are all mammals with what unusual anatomical feature, which they share with many birds, including ducks--but not coots?
An outer covering (fur/feathers) that specifically keeps their skin dry.

3. Who's the only president depicted on U.S. currency specifically because of his personal association with that denomination?
Wilson?

4. The Oxford English Dictionary lists two traditional duties physically performed by a church's "sexton." Name either.
Locking the gates/doors.

5. The only two world capitals with hyphens in their names both begin with what set of four letters?
Port

6. Angelo Dundee, Ferdie Pacheco, and Drew Bundini Brown are best known for their association with what famous person?
Margaret Trudeau?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Phoebe Buffay, Edith Bunker, Landry Clarke, Frasier Crane, Sherlock Holmes, Leonard Hofstadter, Gregory House, Lane Kim, William Riker, Lisa Simpson.
They all have arguably smarter siblings? I believe they all play musical instruments, but that's hardly unusual.

Weren't the answers given this week for questions TWO weeks ago?

EDIT: To UEL: Your answer for 3 is incorrect because Hamilton wasn't a President,either.

Last edited by ChasFink; 11 July 2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added comment to UEL
Old 11 July 2017, 02:53 PM

Glasses

So, no answers this week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Ed Sheeran's first three studio albums have one-character names. What symbol is so far notable for its absence from the set?
By character, then, they're not talking just alphabetic characters? Since I have no clue who Ed Sheeran is, and believe that three albums aren't enough for any character to be notable for its absence, I'm going to say the symbol once used by the artist once known as Prince (although it's probably the letter E).
Quote:

2. Beavers, muskrats, capybaras, platypi, and otters are all mammals with what unusual anatomical feature, which they share with many birds, including ducks--but not coots?
Anyone up for a trip to the haunt of coot and tern to check? In the absence of that, I'm going to say spurs. ETA: I think Don Enrico might have this one.
Quote:

3. Who's the only president depicted on U.S. currency specifically because of his personal association with that denomination?
Isn't that Salmon P. Chase? Oh, wait, he wasn't a president. Okay, then, Jackson.
Quote:

4. The Oxford English Dictionary lists two traditional duties physically performed by a church's "sexton." Name either.
Presiding over burials. They do something concerning burials, I'm sure (most church men [in the non-gender specific sense] do).
Quote:

5. The only two world capitals with hyphens in their names both begin with what set of four letters?
A-G-O-P (not necessarily in that order).
Quote:

6. Angelo Dundee, Ferdie Pacheco, and Drew Bundini Brown are best known for their association with what famous person?[/i]
Marconi.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Phoebe Buffay, Edith Bunker, Landry Clarke, Frasier Crane, Sherlock Holmes, Leonard Hofstadter, Gregory House, Lane Kim, William Riker, Lisa Simpson.
Which Sherlock? Other than that, the best I can say is at least I've heard of most of them (I have no clue who Landry Clarke or Lane Kim are, and only a vague idea about Leonard Hofstadter).

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 11 July 2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:02 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
EDIT: To UEL: Your answer for 3 is incorrect because Hamilton wasn't a President,either.
Argh. I did not know that. I need to be better on my US Presidents.

I came back to the thread because I had a thought. I am a money collector and have some nice American specimens. I was thinking about what if the question was about other than the main bills...

As I was going through the denominations, I omitted some of the lesser found denominations, namely the $2 (Jefferson - President) and $50 (Grant - President).

Then I realised, I forgot all about the coins.

1¢ - Lincoln - President
5¢ - Jefferson - President
10¢ - Roosevelt - President
25¢ - Washington - President
50¢ - Kennedy - President
$1 - Sacagawea - not a President

Now that I know that Hamilton is not a President, I can list out the options: Washington ($1, 25¢), Jefferson ($2, 5¢), Lincoln ($5, 1¢), Jackson ($20), Grant ($50), Roosevelt (10¢), and Kennedy (50¢).

What does that leave me? I'm leaning towards the coins, just because he's sneaky that way. Kennedy or Roosevelt. I don't know of any association between either of them and the denomination. I'm going to just guess Roosevelt for the sake of picking one.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:21 PM

Ed Sheeran’s albums all have mathematical symbols as their titles. So far, he has done +, x, and ÷. The missing one is -.

The President is Roosevelt. He was associated with the organization that became the March of Dimes.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the help, UEL. Now I'm pretty sure I have it. It's FDR because of his association with the March of Dimes.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:39 PM

Devil

Quote:

6. Angelo Dundee, Ferdie Pacheco, and Drew Bundini Brown are best known for their association with what famous person?

1. I don't know.
2. Webbed feet.
3. Franklin "I'm on the dime" Roosevelt, as I believe he founded the March of Dimes.
4. I don't know.
5. PORT (Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and Porto-Novo, Benin) (I did a stint in the Peace Corps in West Africa btw)
6. I don't know.
7. Their respective series got better when these characters grew a beard.
Old 11 July 2017, 05:09 PM

Glasses

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Phoebe Buffay, Edith Bunker, Landry Clarke, Frasier Crane, Sherlock Holmes, Leonard Hofstadter, Gregory House, Lane Kim, William Riker, Lisa Simpson?

They all have siblings who are in the same profession? Phoebe had a twin who was also a wait person, Frasier Crane's brother was also a psychiatrist, Mycroft Holmes also solved mysteries, Leonard's brother is also a scientist, William Riker's clone/brother? was also in Star Fleet and Lisa Simpson's siblings were uhm... grasping at straws here... children?

Morning
needs more coffee
Old 11 July 2017, 05:40 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thanks for the help, UEL. Now I'm pretty sure I have it. It's {redacted}
I didn't think of that because I think of "currency" as paper money. The word does also apply to coins, apparently.
Old 11 July 2017, 06:27 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
7. Their respective series got better when these characters grew a beard.

That got me chuckling.
Old 11 July 2017, 07:34 PM

The only name that comes to mind is Muhammad Ali

Last edited by Floater; 11 July 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12 July 2017, 02:42 AM

Sorry about that. When I went back a week to get the question 7 answer I obviously grabbed the rest of them from the same week.

Here are last week's answers for questions 1-6:

1. Name any one of the four African countries that have ski resorts.
Algeria and Morocco have resorts in the Atlas Mountains; South Africa and Lesotho have one apiece in the Drakensberg range.

2. An Arrhenius acid is a substance that dissociates to form ions of what chemical element?
Arrhenius bases produce hydroxide ions in water, while acids produce hydrogen (or hydronium) ions.

3. What horror movie's name, translated into Latin, would be "Sequitur"?
"Non sequitur" is Latin for "it does not follow," so "Sequitur" means "It Follows." I liked It Follows, but I'll admit that I never saw it dubbed or subtitled in ancient Rome.

4. In July 1931, scientists from four nations spent a week flying over the Arctic in what famous craft?
The Graf Zeppelin was built with polar exploration in mind.

5. What Taoist philosophy often used in architecture takes its name from the Chinese words for "wind" and "water"?
This question has great feng shui.

6. What author used to quip that he was the first DNA discovered at Cambridge, since he was born nine months before Watson and Crick published their work?
Douglas (Noel) Adams was Cambridge's first DNA.
Old 12 July 2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
- (the minus symbol)

Quote:
Webbed feet.the plural of platypus is not platypi.

Quote:
Bell ringing

Quote:
Port : Port-Au-Prince and Port-Novo

Quote:
Muhammed Ali

Quote:
I only know a few of these characters. Do they all play a musical instrument?
Old 12 July 2017, 01:36 PM

Ah, somebody got the first one... I was just going to come and suggest damian's answer. I didn't really know the others this week, except number 2. (It's webbed feet - coots have lobed feet instead).

I agree that number 7 has to be something to do with siblings (who are better or more famous in some way?) but I can't think specifically what either.
Old 12 July 2017, 01:52 PM

Bang Head

Number 7 is driving me bonkers...

Many have siblings or "evil twins". Many play instruments. Several have died or been presumed dead. The character House is somewhat derived from Holmes. And which TV Holmes is being referenced? All of them?

And I just thought... some are based on, or named after, someone else, real or fictional: Holmes, House, Hofstadter, Riker...

?
Old 12 July 2017, 03:51 PM

1. No idea.

2. Webbed feet.

3. FDR founded the March of Dimes, I believe, and he's on the dime.

4. Grave digging.

5. I think Port-au-Prince is hyphenated, so I'll go with Port.

6. No idea.

7. Many on the list play instruments, (Buffay, guitar; Bunker, piano; no idea who Clarke is; Crane I think played the piano; Holmes, the violin of course; Hofstadter, cello; House, piano; Kim, drums, Riker, saxophone; Simpson, saxamophone) but is that really unusual? Seems like there would have to be more to it than that, but I can't think that.
Old 12 July 2017, 07:23 PM

Chillas, I believe Riker only played trombone, and sometimes piano.
Old 13 July 2017, 01:24 PM

Ah, you're right about that!
Old 13 July 2017, 01:28 PM

Oh, I also know that it isn't that the corresponding actors really play the instruments - I know specifically that Yeardley Smith and Bananarama Cucumberpatch do not play the sax and violin in real life. For what that's worth.
Old 13 July 2017, 01:38 PM

Ah, you're right about that!