snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 15 April 2018, 05:10 PM

Isn't that how it usually goes? You come into some money, and something decides to crap out on you(requiring money to repair/replace it).
Old 15 April 2018, 09:50 PM

My life lately has been skipping the first part.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Down: My 21-year-old car finally failed its smog check. I'm going to look into the cost of repairs, but considering its age and value, it might be time to say goodbye.
You might already know this, but since it failed smog the state will pay you $1000 to "retire" it, similar to Cash For Clunkers. Although it looks like they've exhausted (no pun intended) their funding for this fiscal year and a aren't accepting new applications until more funding is available.
Old 16 April 2018, 04:28 AM

I think I actually heard about that from you the last time I posted about my car! It was the first thing that came to mind when it failed the test. So thanks! We'll see how much it ends up costing to repair it; the guy looking at it now has a theory not involving the catalytic converter, so maybe I'll end up fixing it at least once more.

I’m having a hard time deciding what I'd buy if/when I do replace it, anyway. I want something eco-friendly, but I wonder about the merits of a hybrid, given the rare earth metals that have to be mined for the battery, versus just a small, fuel-efficient gasoline engine. My old Corolla once got 40 mpg over an entire tank on a road trip (i.e. not in SoCal traffic, though I usually averaged at least 27 mpg in my normal driving.) I also want it to be red, with a sunroof, both of which raise the price by a stupid amount. I have enough in my account to buy a decent used car outright, but maybe financing it would be good for my credit anyway. I can't decide how much to value reliability, given that my Corolla, supposed to be among the most reliable cars ever built, crapped out on me earlier than it should have, while my dad's not so highly rated Fords have all lasted longer than expected. Decisions are hard.
Old 16 April 2018, 08:01 AM

I noticed that a fair amount of crud had washed out from the gutters into the yard in spots which were nowhere near any downpipes which meant that the gutters were overflowing and probably full of nasty crud. It turned out that the really heavy downpour we had last week had washed about 6 months worth of bird crap off the roof and into the gutters where it turned into a giant pile of stinky sludge.

Down: I had to spend several hours clearing buckets and buckets of fermented bird poo out of the gutters
Up: I got buckets and buckets of fermented bird poo for my compost bin!
Up and down and up and down: I spent hours climbing up and down an extension ladder.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Such wonderful exercise, though, GM!

UP and DOWN: I kicked my house guest out. Up because it is sooo nice to have my house to myself again, down because I feel bad for doing it, as she still can't go back to her apartment.

DOWN & UP: I told her she could come back if she needs to, although I'd prefer she go back to her apartment. The up part is that they've finished the renovations, and when the new carpet finishes its initial off-gassing, she can go home for good.

Seaboe
Old 16 April 2018, 06:02 PM

Driver

Quote:
I think I actually heard about that from you the last time I posted about my car! It was the first thing that came to mind when it failed the test. So thanks!
I do like to tell people about that program. You're welcome.

Quote:
I’m having a hard time deciding what I'd buy if/when I do replace it, anyway.
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm getting a Miata whenever I replace my Corolla. I've never owned a really "fun" car before, and I think it's time, darn it. And I'm a few years away from turning 40. That's when you're supposed to buy a sports car, right?

Quote:
My old Corolla once got 40 mpg over an entire tank on a road trip (i.e. not in SoCal traffic, though I usually averaged at least 27 mpg in my normal driving.)
I'm actually kind of disappointed in my (2009) Corolla's highway mileage. It's actually worse than what my old Saturn got. I probably shouldn't really complain because it does get slightly better city mileage (around 27 mpg, compared to around 24 for the Saturn), and that's the majority of the driving I do. But on a road trip I don't think the Corolla's managed to do better than low 30s. The Saturn would get 40 mpg pretty regularly in that kind of driving, as long as I didn't need to use the air conditioner. Going back and reading some of the reviews from when that version of the Corolla came out that seems to have been one of the complaints, that the fuel economy was worse than the previous generation.
Old 16 April 2018, 06:41 PM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Up and down and up and down: I spent hours climbing up and down an extension ladder.
Your knees must be killing you.
Old 17 April 2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm getting a Miata whenever I replace my Corolla. I've never owned a really "fun" car before, and I think it's time, darn it. And I'm a few years away from turning 40. That's when you're supposed to buy a sports car, right?
Absolutely! You've been sensible long enough.
ETA: whenever my car is in the shop, my dad lets me drive what he calls his "stupid car," as in he bought it knowing it was stupid but wanted it anyway. He drives an SUV for legit work reasons but has a gorgeous red Challenger for funsies. It's a thing of beauty.

Quote:
I'm actually kind of disappointed in my (2009) Corolla's highway mileage. It's actually worse than what my old Saturn got. I probably shouldn't really complain because it does get slightly better city mileage (around 27 mpg, compared to around 24 for the Saturn), and that's the majority of the driving I do. But on a road trip I don't think the Corolla's managed to do better than low 30s. The Saturn would get 40 mpg pretty regularly in that kind of driving, as long as I didn't need to use the air conditioner. Going back and reading some of the reviews from when that version of the Corolla came out that seems to have been one of the complaints, that the fuel economy was worse than the previous generation.
Hmm, that's troubling. I hope the 2014s and later are better. My old one was a 2001; I was very happy with it until the engine block unexpectedly cracked after 12 years of mostly very light use and no serious accidents.

I've started making a spreadsheet to keep track of my options for new cars, which should help me get a handle on my used options, too. It's funny how things pencil out in the end; some of the cheaper cars end up being the most expensive once you add the package to put in a sunroof. The Corolla SE is $1490 cheaper than the XLE, but the sunroof package on the former is $1535, so the latter ends up being cheaper as the sunroof is included. The hybrid engine adds $6-7 grand, and then some models cost ~$400 more for red paint than any other color. One car I looked at is available in red or with a sunroof, but not both. Almost all of them force you to get a black interior if you're getting a red exterior, though a few give you the option of gray or beige. It's helpful to have it all laid out.
Old 17 April 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
and then some models cost ~$400 more for red paint than any other color.
That's kind of a little thing that annoys me. Many car manufacturers now have "special" colors that they charge extra for, which often means you have to pay extra if you don't want some variant of white/silver/grey/black. I doubt it really costs them more to paint the car red; I'm pretty sure they just charge extra for it because they can.
Old 17 April 2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That's kind of a little thing that annoys me. Many car manufacturers now have "special" colors that they charge extra for, which often means you have to pay extra if you don't want some variant of white/silver/grey/black. I doubt it really costs them more to paint the car red; I'm pretty sure they just charge extra for it because they can.
It's the vehicular version of the woman's razor costing way more than the men's because it's pink.
Old 19 April 2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Well, in this case, red does tend to cost more. That is usually because of materials - high quality red paint use cadmium (I think?). I know that to get a good red in glass you have to add gold, which makes it much more expensive.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:49 PM

Glasses

IMO, if they're going to offer red paint, its higher cost should be part of their general overhead.

Seaboe
Old 19 April 2018, 06:52 PM

If a certain paint costs a company more to do, why shouldn't they charge more for it?
Old 19 April 2018, 07:09 PM

But does red make it go faster?
Old 20 April 2018, 12:42 AM

Up: I got a job that pays better than my last one, plus I'll have three or four days off a week (my schedule alternates) to work on school stuff.
Down: My new shift is 5 am to 5 pm, so there will definitely be a sleep schedule adjustment period.
Old 20 April 2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes but, they look sooo much better in that ruby metallic red. You’d kick yourself if you didn’t go for it.
Old 20 April 2018, 02:36 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If a certain paint costs a company more to do, why shouldn't they charge more for it?
Because the cost of painting their product is part of their overhead, and their overhead charges should take into account things such as the variable costs of the paint.

You don't charge more because this month black paint is a little more expensive than silver, or because last month white was. The same should hold true for red and other special colors.

Seaboe
Old 20 April 2018, 05:15 PM

Up: I got a ticket for Halestorm's concert in August.

Down: I seem to have been charged for two tickets and all sales are final so I can't get them to cancel one. I'm wondering if I should call my credit card company and dispute the charge (which I'm sure is going to be a headache) or just try and find someone else who wants to go (unfortunately, I don't know too many people in the area who like Halestorm).
Old 21 April 2018, 12:54 AM

Crocoduck_hunter: Oregon is too far for me to make a trip, otherwise I'd buy your Halestorm ticket from you.

Up: Last weekend I took a road trip to see Weird Al on tour for two nights in a row. I had a great seat in Augusta and a front row seat in Atlanta. I met awesome people and had a lot of fun, and he did several of my favorite original songs that I never thought I'd ever hear in concert.

Down: This morning at work we had a client come in with a dead puppy that we were unable to revive. She thought it had choked on something but we couldn't find anything in its throat besides blood. I deal with death fairly regularly in this job, but sometimes a particular case really hits me hard.