snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 25 September 2014, 09:07 PM

Wolf Wasps swarm Brookhaven K-9 officer and dog; officer hospitalized

A Brookhaven police K-9 officer and his dog were ambushed by an enormous swarm of yellow jackets Wednesday just as they tried to collar a hit-and-run suspect.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/wasps-s...officer/nhTfw/
Old 25 September 2014, 10:13 PM

Because someone's got to say it...

The suspect is believed to be armed with a BB gun.
Old 26 September 2014, 12:41 AM

My uncle is a former game warden, and this happened to him. It was near fatal.

He'd been stung before, always a single sting, maybe two and never had a problem. But in the "big attack" he was swarmed and stung all over his body. He developed severe reactions to any kind of sting after that, and was forced to retire.

I remember walking into the hospital room to visit him, and he looked like someone had stuck an airhose up his rear end and inflated him to about 300psi.
Old 26 September 2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
My uncle is a former game warden, and this happened to him. It was near fatal.

He'd been stung before, always a single sting, maybe two and never had a problem. But in the "big attack" he was swarmed and stung all over his body. He developed severe reactions to any kind of sting after that, and was forced to retire.

I remember walking into the hospital room to visit him, and he looked like someone had stuck an airhose up his rear end and inflated him to about 300psi.
Isn't that how it happens with allergies. The first contact "primes" the system and any contact after that cause the reaction.

Although I now realise I misread your post said not that he had only been stung once before, maybe twice. You said he had only one sting before, maybe two.

My mistake.
Old 26 September 2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Isn't that how it happens with allergies. The first contact "primes" the system and any contact after that cause the reaction.

Although I now realise I misread your post said not that he had only been stung once before, maybe twice. You said he had only one sting before, maybe two.

My mistake.
Allergic reactions can happen anytime after the first exposure even if they were exposed to the allergen for years with no issue. It's fairly common for people in my area to develop juniper allergies after living here for at least 5 yrs.

And in the case of a swarm like that then the amount of venom can overwhelm the system and send the body into anaphylactic shock without a previous known allergy.
Old 26 September 2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Allergic reactions can happen anytime after the first exposure even if they were exposed to the allergen for years with no issue. It's fairly common for people in my area to develop juniper allergies after living here for at least 5 yrs.
When people with hay fever move long distances, it can take years for the hay fever to "catch up" with them. They move away from the plants and molds and things they are allergic to, and it can take a few years to develop allergies to the plants in the new place.

I have always had pretty bad hay fever - except for the two years I lived in Asia, where I was blissfully hay fever free - until near the end of the two years, where I started to get a bit of a sniffle when around conifer trees up in the mountains. Before I moved to Asia, and as soon as I returned back from Asia, I had quite bad hay fever.

Bee stings seems to be a thing that gets worse over time - people who get stung a lot sometimes start to gradually become allergic.
Old 29 September 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
....And in the case of a swarm like that then the amount of venom can overwhelm the system and send the body into anaphylactic shock without a previous known allergy.
This is what happened to him.
Old 30 September 2014, 03:03 PM

Glasses

Nice to see the dog is recovering, too. They can get anaphylactic shock, too. My sister used to worry about her German Shepherd, who like to catch and swallow wasps (Chloe never had a reaction that we're aware of).

Seaboe
Old 30 September 2014, 03:14 PM

Police Officer stung by bees relapses; K-9 partner gets first-aid kit

The Brookhaven police officer who was hospitalized after a yellow-jacket attack relapsed Sunday and was taken to urgent care, police reported Monday.

Medical staff treated and released Officer John Ritch, the K-9 officer who was stung more than 50 times by the highly aggressive wasps last Wednesday, said Maj. Brandon Gurley of the police.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/officer...gets-fi/nhX3S/

with photo of Officer Ritch and Grizz.
Old 01 October 2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Because someone's got to say it...

The suspect is believed to be armed with a BB gun.
I was sure you were going to suggest that the operation was a police sting.

Glad to hear that both members of the K-9 team seem to be recovering well.
Old 01 October 2014, 02:57 PM

Very cool that there is a biker group working to support the K-9 units!
Old 01 October 2014, 03:26 PM

The north Georgia area has a very active biker community supporting a lot of charities. There was a ride recently to support an abused children's home as well.

Here's a different one: http://www.times-herald.com/local/Ru...hildren-s-Home
And another one other than what I remembered: http://patch.com/georgia/dallas-hira...l#.VCwNh1cSZw0
and another: http://gradynewsource.uga.edu/blog/2...nced-children/
I think this is a different one: http://lakelanier.com/2014/08/thunde...torcycle-ride/

Well, I remembered another one, but I cannot find a link for it. There are a lot of other charity motorcycle rides throughout the year, too. The southern Appalachians(and probably the rest as well) have a lot of great winding roads that make for very fun biking routes through woods and hills.
Old 06 October 2014, 11:01 PM

I was wondering about the report saying they were attacked by yellow jackets. Right now these hornets are swarming around any food source, and I'm surrounded by yellow jackets when I take the lunch time trash out to the dumpsters. A few times they even landed on me, but not once did any of them sting.

Now Bald faced hornets, those are some evil-tempered bugs!