snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 04 November 2014, 07:52 PM

Yow! Parents panic after school sends out 717 missing student messages in error

Parents of students at John Adams Elementary School were thrown into a panic recently when school officials inadvertently sent out a broadcast that students were absent from class.

http://eagnews.org/parents-panic-aft...ages-in-error/
Old 05 November 2014, 09:04 PM

This happened to thousands of students in the Metro Detroit area a couple of years ago. Our rather large district, and a huge number of other districts in SE Michigan were using the same computer system contractor and it malfunctioned on one of the first days of school. Due to a computer error most of us got a message that our children were absent. It took me awhile to straighten out whether my son was at school or not.
Old 06 November 2014, 04:28 AM

Far too many years ago, and certainly, not on this scale, my parents received a letter from the Army at Fort Lewis, claiming that I had not reported there for further transport to my assignment in Vietnam.

I think they were more amused at this than troubled, since we had already exchanged letters after I had gotten to my unit in Vietnam.