snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 01 June 2007, 06:08 PM

Interview: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio on 'At World's End'

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/features/?id=2323&p=.htm

Quote:
Ted Elliott: There's Wagner's Flying Dutchman opera, there's a little bit of resonance to that. But the weird things that inspire are more like John Gay's Beggar's Opera and Bertolt Brecht's Threepenny Opera and I don't want to get into the reasons why those were influences but they were. The one that was really interesting is the Snopes legend. You know the Web site Snopes has that section about "fake true American legends." One of them is the idea that the four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie [http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.asp] was [notorious pirate] Blackbeard's recruiting song. When Blackbeard came into port, these people would go around and sing this song when he was looking for a crew. It was just such a fun idea and it's a shame it's not true, so we decided to make it true and the song [in the beginning of At World's End] "Hoist the Colors," sung at the beginning and Keira sings it and it's referenced in a couple of ways, every one of the verses tells the story of Davy Jones and Calypso. It starts with "the king and his men stole the queen from her bed" We sat down and wrote that out and it's based on a fake legend from the Snopes Web site.
Old 01 June 2007, 06:19 PM

So where's your royalty check?
Old 01 June 2007, 06:45 PM
Doug4.7

D'oh!

Okay, the name of the guy who wrote the movie has been bothering me for a long time. Now I have it figured out. His name is Rossio, not Bossio.....
Old 30 October 2007, 07:42 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean writer mentions snopes again

I got to see Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio at the Screenwriting Expo last weekend and was thrilled to hear my favorite website mentioned. Pretty much as in the interview linked above, Ted said that he had read the Blackbeard legend on snopes and thought it was such a great legend that it should be true. Terry added that he loved the fact that he'd only written one song in his life (the one inspired by snopes) and that song had been arranged by Hans Zimmer and sung by Keira Knightley. Some guys have all the luck! Anyway, they gave a great talk!

snoozn