snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 23 February 2017, 03:24 PM

Baseball Intentional walk change gets OK from baseball players' union

There won’t be any wild pitches on intentional walks this season.

The players’ association has agreed to Major League Baseball’s proposal to have intentional walks without pitches this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/intentio...players-union/
Old 24 February 2017, 04:27 AM

Bah. I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't.
Old 24 February 2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Bah. I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't.
Well, it takes away a potential advancing/scoring opportunity - it wasn't unheard of for a wild pitch to happen during an intentional walk. So you're taking that play away. And, honestly, the time savings is so tiny, like what, fifteen seconds?

I don't buy the "doesn't break the pitcher's rhythm" line either. The pitcher's job is to pitch, regardless of what's going on in the game. If he can't get back to pitching after lobbing the ball to the catcher four times, then that's on him to fix, not the rules. It'd be like allowing the pitcher to call in another player to throw a pickoff move to first, since it's also not throwing a pitch (which was Joe Girardi's solution, because "pitchers aren't used to playing catch". What a ridiculous, stupid, statement).
Old 24 February 2017, 03:21 PM

Yeah, horrible rule change. There are a couple of times or more a year where a wild pitch has been thrown on an intentional walk, and something like 15 total times that a batter has swung at an intentional ball and put it in play. To trade those possibilities away to save 15 seconds a game seems stupid.
If all they want is to shorten games, limit the number of pitching changes or severely limit their warm up times. That is what really slows a game down, when they change the pitcher four or five times in the last two innings to get better match ups, each with warm up time. If they were to limit the time from calling for a new pitcher to the first pitch, with the penalty for not being ready is a called balk every minute, they could take minutes rather than seconds off the games.
Old 24 February 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Well, it takes away a potential advancing/scoring opportunity - it wasn't unheard of for a wild pitch to happen during an intentional walk. So you're taking that play away. And, honestly, the time savings is so tiny, like what, fifteen seconds?
Russell Martin of the Jays said, "if they really want to speed up the game, then when a guy hits a home run, to speed up the game should a guy, just like in softball, when he hits it, should he just walk to the dugout? It’d be quicker."

I'm usually one to mock the resistance to changes in baseball, but this change, I don't like. The potential for wild pitches, stolen bases, or unintentional drama is exactly the stuff most fans love. Making the coward's () play (unless my team is doing it, then it's strategy ) risk free is silly.
Old 24 February 2017, 08:36 PM

Yeah, it's a terrible change. Thanks, TRUMP!!!
Old 25 February 2017, 09:28 PM

Baseball

I read an opinion piece yesterday about this, that today I can't find. (read it at work during coffee break and am now at home).

The intentional walk with 4 pitches is, on average, 20 seconds longer than the proposed change. There is an intentional walk, on average, every 2.5 games. That makes a 2 minutes savings of time for every 15 games played. It is not speeding up the game.

The author also looked at some of the other proposals for speeding up the game, like starting extra innings with a runner in scoring position. Or shortening the warmups, or limiting the visits to the mound, or the TV breaks.

Personally, not being a big baseball fan, I would think that the intentional walk should still be thrown. 4 balls is still 4 pitches, and 4 bits of effort to the pitcher. I've seen a stolen base on an intentional walk (2nd to 3rd) which reduced a potential double play scenario.

For the little time savings, it is not worth that big of a change.