snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 21 February 2017, 07:22 PM

Default New Han Solo movie details and this awesome first photo are enough to make your heart

stop

Mashable.com's penchant for long, click-baity titles is on display here. It a fun photo and great news for Star Wars fans, but the headline is a bit over the top...

Quote:
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy—though, if this photo's any indication, it is a hell of a lot of fun.
http://mashable.com/2017/02/21/han-solo-movie-launch/
Old 21 February 2017, 09:25 PM

While I knew she was in the movie, I didn't recognize Emilia Clarke in that, at all. I guess it is the dark hair and bangs, being so different from when she plays Daenerys.
Alden Ehrenreich looks pretty good here - much more Han Solo than in Hail Caesar!, the only other thing I've seen him in.
Old 21 February 2017, 10:03 PM

I don't get it. It looks like a normal photo of the cast. They're not even all in character. Who cares?
Old 21 February 2017, 10:15 PM

The picture is similar to the table read picture for The Force Awakens. A signal that the movie is fully in production, and a way to keep the general hype for the series up.
Star Wars fans care. A lot of sci-fi/fantasy fans care. A lot of movie lovers in general care. I would think that anyone who takes the time to go to a thread about it and make a comment cares somewhat.
Old 22 February 2017, 01:19 AM

Wow, Ehrenreich really looks the role perfectly.

I'll throw my hat in the "cares" ring. The Star Wars series was one of the first movie experiences I ever had- we have a home video of me at my second Christmas squeeing over C3PO and R2D2 figurines I received.

I guess it's about the same as when a celebrity goes on a talk show to promote an upcoming film. No, they're not actually dressed in the role, but people who are interested in that actor's work or in the film/film franchise like to read or watch up a bit about it sometimes. I don't think it's unusually irrelevant.
Old 22 February 2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I'll throw my hat in the "cares" ring. The Star Wars series was one of the first movie experiences I ever had- we have a home video of me at my second Christmas squeeing over C3PO and R2D2 figurines I received.
I am also saying I care. When they were talking about it on the morning show here* I was a bit meh but I was feeling a little like I was coming down with something. A few years ago when one of the other Star Wars films came out (I am thinking Ep.7) someone here said that while Star Wars ep.4 wasn't the first film they saw it was the first film they remember seeing and I thought at the time "Yeah that is exactly how it was for me."

Star Wars changed a lot about films, about how they were marketed, how films were made, especially Sci-fi films. A lot of b-grade sci-fi films came out after it, hoping to benefit from its success. Heck I have just had "Flash Gordon" on in the background, and while the theme song is pretty good (Hey Queen so good vocals and lead guitar) the film itself is not good. And I wonder if would even have been made if every film studio in Hollywood wasn't scratching around for any space film they could get their hands on.

I will that theme song in my head all night now.

*Right after talking about Paul and Ringo doing something together and I felt meh. And I thought as a Beatles fan AND a Star Wars fan I must defiantly not be well. Feeling ok now though.
Old 22 February 2017, 02:52 PM

After the diverse casting for Rogue One, kind of disappointed just how white the cast is.
Old 22 February 2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
After the diverse casting for Rogue One, kind of disappointed just how white the cast is.
Thandie Newton is also in the cast but she wasn't included in the photo for some reason, so the movie is slightly more diverse than the photo suggests.

Edit: they considered a whole bunch of diverse actors for the female lead role before settling on Emilia Clarke so I guess they tried for diversity but didn't quite get there.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:01 PM

Baby steps, I guess... at least Lando is in there.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:23 PM

Glasses

I have a friend named Don Glover so we were teasing his wife last night about him playing Lando.

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
They haven't shown who will be playing the scum and villains yet..
Old 22 February 2017, 05:06 PM

I love Harrison Ford, but I'm kind'a glad that he's not flying the Millennium Falcon anymore.

OY
Old 22 February 2017, 05:11 PM

So's he. He's wanted to stop being that character since before Empire Strike Back!
Old 23 February 2017, 02:48 AM

I think exactly the same thing every time I see the news.
Old 23 February 2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
So's he. He's wanted to stop being that character since before Empire Strike Back!
I was referring to his recent mishap with his own plane....

I'm still puzzled at how pilot can mistakenly land on a taxiway instead of a runway.

OY
Old 23 February 2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
I was referring to his recent mishap with his own plane....
I knew what you were talking about. I was just making a joke about how he wanted to have Han killed off a log time ago and finally got his way in The Force Awakens.
Old 23 February 2017, 02:12 PM

SPOILERS!!!!!
Old 23 February 2017, 02:23 PM

It was a year and a half ago! What's the statute of limitations on spoilers?

Then again, I saw someone crying "SPOILERS!" over the fact that Thorin, Fili, and Kili died in The Hobbit, so I guess the statute is more than 75 years...

My bad!
Old 23 February 2017, 03:26 PM

I figure once a movie has been released to cable/streaming/DVD for a few months, no need to worry about spoilers as anyone that was that concerned has had plenty of time to see it. For ease of calculation, call it 6 months from theatrical release.

ETA: So Rogue One has 2 months left...
Old 23 February 2017, 03:35 PM

Rogue One will be available for home viewing next month, so by your standards, it only has a month left.

My personal spoiler standards are a week after release for TVs/movies, and a month for books. After that, I figure it is on the person who wants to avoid spoilers to do so.