snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 23 February 2017, 05:58 PM

Bang Head

I'm really getting sick of all the rewards/loyalty cards handed out by various stores. Yes, I've got some and use them, but how about just one price for all shoppers? This whole thing is getting crazy!
Old 23 February 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Possibly you've got an actual skunk.

If something could get into the basement to die there, a skunk could probably get into the basement to live there. Proceed with caution if so -- you don't want to scare it!
I got my answer minutes after I posted this, as I walked downstairs to chat with my dad briefly before leaving for work- "Dad, does the house smell really wrong to you right now?" "Oh, yeah, there was a skunk outside." D'oh.

Luckily our basement is pretty well sealed off- we get bugs, but we've never had (knock on wood) larger critters. Except for a bird once, which, yeah, we were all probably even more confused than he was.

The new LTTAM is that the skunk must have been right along the driveway (same side of the house as my room) for some period of time. My car smelled strongly of it, and even after driving it around for a while with all the windows open, still smells a good deal like it. If it still smells tomorrow I'll take my mom's odor absorber jar to it- or has anyone here had success with lighting a match or candle in a smelly place for a while?
Old 23 February 2017, 11:04 PM

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover actually works on dogs. I don't know about cars; but I've tried all sorts of things on dogs before, and it worked better than any of them.

ETA: Pet supply stores carry it, and some hardware stores; or lots of places are selling it online.
Old 24 February 2017, 12:05 AM

Thanks Ducky; I do have Verizon and I use their message app. I muted the convo in which she's texted me individually and also the one in which she group-texted me and my folks; the problem is she has also texted me as part of other groups (with my cousin/ her daughter, etc.) but the last time she did so was before I got this phone, so I can't mute those convos. I'm open to any other ideas.
Old 24 February 2017, 05:17 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
overt patriotism is pretty closely associated with a certain type of angry "F$# Off We're Full" anti-immigration white supremacist here in Australia these days so I'm worried that people will assume I'm a racist when they see me decked out in all this stuff.
Is there any kind of button, lapel pin, iron-on label or something similar that is easily recognisable as being pro-immigration or at least anti-right wing, and that you can incoporate into your costume without messing it up to much?
Old 24 February 2017, 02:00 PM

Glasses

LTTAM: not being able to find the odd things you saw today thread. ETA: found it. Not so annoyed now.

I actually have two odd things today!

Seaboe
Old 24 February 2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I always have to turn off my alerts for everything when I get a new phone, which occurs so infrequently (about every 4 years) that I have to relearn how all over again.

My LTTAM/possible stupid question, while we're on the subject: my aunt has learned how to text and has decided email is obsolete. Since she's a morning person, she'll text us all her thoughts between 6 and 7 a.m., just long enough before I'd be getting up anyway that I can't get back to sleep. Because they're so long, they come through as a string of 7 or 8 texts, often out of order because that just seems to happen for whatever reason. I've already asked her not to do this, at least not so early, but she apparently forgets. Is there a way to silence texts from just one person? Should I just silence my phone entirely while I sleep and risk missing an emergency? Should I just hold out hope that in 10 or 20 years she'll discover Facebook and the problem will solve itself?
My iPhone has a 'do not disturb' setting that silences all notification sounds, and mutes calls from anyone not on your 'favourites' list.
Old 24 February 2017, 06:50 PM

So does my Android.
Old 24 February 2017, 06:57 PM

Glasses

I went to Expedia, plugged in my chosen flight dates and times, and received back a quote of over $6,000 for my trip this summer. After going through Google to choose the exact same flights and heading for Expedia for a quote, I ended up paying $1,200.

WTF, Expedia?

Seaboe
Old 26 February 2017, 01:12 AM

Mouse

The Atlantic Monthly had its letters to the editor in response to Ta-Nehisi Coates's "My President Was Black" and Lordy...so much #notallwhitepeople. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Carly Simon has never publicly revealed who inspired "You're So Vain" but increasingly I wonder if it's not just about white dudes in general. Because women and PoC can't talk about any issues we experience, without a bunch of them going "Hey not all!" In response to whatever is said.
Old 26 February 2017, 01:25 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
...if it's not just about white dudes in general....
This is one thing that bothers me. We don't accept painting all women as something. We don't accept painting all blacks as something. We don't accept painting all Muslims or Jews as something. But it is particularly valid to paint all white men (or dudes) as something?

This is a major reason why Trump won the election. By the US left voicing that it is the Christians, whites, men and middle class who are the roots of many of the problems facing the US, that large, multi-headed demographic rallied behind the one not throwing blame that way. If you read the comments of many of the voters, they did not like Trump, but he was better than an administration that had a track record of blaming them.

From outside the US, it is blatantly obvious where the "left" fell short. Continuing to blame several major demographics (when millions of whites, Christians, men and middle class voted for the Democrats) will not help your cause, and frankly, makes the left look sad.

Point the finger at the GOP. Fine. Point the finger at gerrymandered districts. Absolutely. Point the finger at the Electoral College. Fair game. Point the finger at Trump/Pence/Bannon/et al. Definitely. But if the US left wants to gain ground, it has to stop labelling and blaming whole demographics.

ETA: Not necessarily picking on Mouse, just using that statement as a jumping off point.
Old 26 February 2017, 01:48 PM

I ordered cat litter through Amazon. I didn't use Amazon Prime Now because regular Amazon Plus two-day shipping would get it to me in plenty of time - specifically, yesterday. I got an email saying it had been delayed -- now I can expect to get it on March 1.

Now I need to buy litter at the store.
Old 26 February 2017, 04:53 PM

My insurance refused to pay for the asthma preventive my doctor prescribed.
Old 26 February 2017, 06:48 PM

Mine wouldn't pay for a second sleep study. It wasn't so much that I stopped breathing as it was that my pulse-ox would drop as low as 77. He wanted to retest me and requested twice. The insurance's response was that they wouldn't let me have two unless I had, umm heart failure? or a "chronic lung disease." Apparently in insurance land asthma is not a chronic lung disease. So the sleep doc. put me on C-Pap any way and the insurance can just pay for that instead. I actually like it and sleep better, and don't wake up with headaches anymore. Go figure.
Old 27 February 2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
This is a major reason why Trump won the election. By the US left voicing that it is the Christians, whites, men and middle class who are the roots of many of the problems facing the US, that large, multi-headed demographic rallied behind the one not throwing blame that way. If you read the comments of many of the voters, they did not like Trump, but he was better than an administration that had a track record of blaming them.
Cite please. I've been hearing this idea that the US left lost because they were engaging in "white Christian men are the problem" "identity politics", but I haven't seen the democratic party/Obama administration themselves engaged in it, and it just seems to me that there's this idea that "America voted for Trump because they dislike liberal activists".

I do think you have a good point overall, though.
Old 27 February 2017, 08:35 AM

Cell Phone

I had a bunch of my brother's friends come down to the river to see me do my stuntman performance yesterday and most of them filmed it on their iPods, so I've got additional footage from a whole bunch of different angles.

LTTAM: Everyone filmed in portrait mode. I'd have to cut most of the top and bottom of the footage off and only use the middle 30% or so to match the rest of the footage and after that it'll probably be too grainy and indistinct, so I don't think any of it will be usable.
Old 27 February 2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I had a bunch of my brother's friends come down to the river to see me do my stuntman performance yesterday and most of them filmed it on their iPods, so I've got additional footage from a whole bunch of different angles.

LTTAM: Everyone filmed in portrait mode. I'd have to cut most of the top and bottom of the footage off and only use the middle 30% or so to match the rest of the footage and after that it'll probably be too grainy and indistinct, so I don't think any of it will be usable.
Can you splice two or three next to each other? Like [][][]? If you sync them nicely that might be a good effect.
Old 27 February 2017, 11:11 AM

Icon204

This is a very little thing indeed-
On mornings when I wake up on the later side and am moving really slowly or need to get out the door earlier than usual, the sites I check while I'm waking up are brimming with content that I either don't have time to read all of, or I get caught up checking and wind up a little late.

On mornings when I'm up before the alarm, slept lightly & flip-floppily and am in that kind of.... twitchy anxious mode, there'll be only a handful of new posts all together across the various sites, and I go through them in minutes.

I should probably be more annoyed at how poorly I slept, but it's only Monday (sigh) so I don't have the full-train tiredness from the week accumulated yet.
Old 27 February 2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
Can you splice two or three next to each other? Like [][][]? If you sync them nicely that might be a good effect.
Perhaps, I'll have to see.
Old 27 February 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My insurance refused to pay for the asthma preventive my doctor prescribed.
Now I'm even more annoyed. The med they refused to cover is one my doctor prescribed a couple years ago, after they refused to cover her first choice. Now they're refusing to cover what I've been taking, and they told my doctor's nurse that they will cover the original med.
Closed Thread