snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 18 February 2017, 02:07 AM

Tantrum Little things that annoy you

Update on the fencers:
Quote:
The builders/renovators next door finally demolished the rickety old fence between the two properties as well as the neighbour's back fence so we'll soon have some lovely new fences, which is good. What's not so good is that they didn't put up any temporary fencing so both our backyards are completely open to the alley behind our lots which usually has at least some foot traffic throughout the night, so anyone walking past can simply step in and help themselves to my potted plants or anything else in my back yard.
They actually hung up a temporary barrier in place of a fence the last two nights but they also left a whole bunch of rubble and scrap fence material in the laneway which is a public thoroughfare. I know one of my neighbours drives through the laneway every day because he parks his car in his back yard and another neighbour uses it occasionally, I guess they'll have to park somewhere else this weekend.

You can't see it in the photo but that old corrugated tin fence they dumped in the lane has a whole bunch of nails sticking out of the wood so it's a hazard for anyone trying to walk through the lane.
Old 18 February 2017, 08:43 AM

Whalephant

That cat looks disgruntled.
Old 18 February 2017, 09:39 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
That cat looks disgruntled.
She has some pretty set habits (eats meals at certain times, sunbathes in the front yard for most of the day, sits out on the front footpath in the evening, goes for a walk around the block with me every evening) and she's been rather put out that there's been noisy men coming through our yard into her territory. She's thrown up a few times over the last few days, I'm pretty sure it's from stressing over all these changes that have suddenly been imposed on her.

The side fence that got torn down a few days ago was a BIG part of her life because she's walk along it, jump down onto the fernery shade frame I'd attached to it and jump through my window from there and that was her main entrance into the house throughout the day. Now all that has been torn down and there's strange men in the side passage so she doesn't go down there at all.
Old 18 February 2017, 10:33 PM

Jaded

I'm at Disney World with 45 high school students. That's not the annoying part - the shops have literally NO Moana merchandise. Apparently, they underestimated the movie's popularity, and anything they had is completely sold out (this from one of the store employees). Right now I would give a significant portion of my anatomy for a small plush Pua doll. (The deal is when Daddy has to miss vacation to take a trip for work, he comes home with gifts for the family, and my daughter has her heart set on that little brown and white piglet.) The plan now is to get it via Amazon Prime so it can be there when I get home. Workable, but annoying. (A T-shirt? A keychain? Anything?)
Old 20 February 2017, 02:36 PM

Glasses

You know, if there's already a law against something, perhaps the best way to deal with the persistent issue is to--you know--enforce the law you've got before you rush to make your name by sponsoring a new one.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2017, 06:14 PM

LTTAM: my inability to structure free time that comes before an obligation.

I really dislike days where all of my free-time is front-loaded, and all of my obligations fall in the late afternoon/evening. I can't enjoy my free time because I know it is closed ended. Even if I have, say, five hours still left to go, and whatever I want to do will certainly take less time than that, it casts this blanket of reluctance over me. Like I have this irrational fear that I'll get carried away playing a game or something and suddenly miss or be late for the appointment or class I have to go to, even though that has literally never happened to me before.

(I've even tried setting alarms- like, "My event is at 5:30, so I don't need to start getting ready until 5:00, so I don't need to think about it until then." Except then I am thinking about the alarm. I admit I've never tried a two-tiered approach where I set an anticipatory alarm FOR the alarm, but that just starts to sound crazy and convoluted.... )

At least I end up being somewhat productive because I wind up filling the time with things I don't enjoy, but have to do....
Old 20 February 2017, 06:32 PM

LTTAM: The PA at my clinic who simply won't do his job.

If he gets one of my patients, he whines. If I get one of his patients and he disagrees with the management, he whines. He acts like he's my boss, when I have the MD and he most definitely does not.

He's never man enough to say anything to my face, just whining to the clinic staff.

Little does he know that I've been fighting his torch with a Sherman tank. He messes up, the clinic manager knows about it. He leaves before his last patient, they know. He discharges a patient before they're healed, they know.

Fire with fire.

ETA:

The Black Ace in all of this is very simple. A question. "So, X, how many times have you been asked by a lawyer to prepare to defend a patient's care? None? Oh. You may be working faster, but my work stands up in court. That matters more than speed."

Game, set, match.

Last edited by Casey; 20 February 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 20 February 2017, 07:15 PM

Glasses

Casey, why hasn't he been fired yet, if the clinic manager knows how much he's screwing up?

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2017, 07:35 PM

I feel ya, mbravo. I used to work evenings at a restaurant, and I had such a hard time making use of the 5-7 hours before I had to start getting ready for work, for the exact reasons you describe.
Old 20 February 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Casey, why hasn't he been fired yet, if the clinic manager knows how much he's screwing up?

Seaboe
I wish I knew. He complained earlier that he's seen 15 patients to my 11. Problem is, 4 of mine were new patients, take 3 times as long. Even if you say double, the (3x4)+7 equals out to 19. I win. He can't see new patients. I can. He palms off tough ones, and conveniently has lunch breaks when he knows I'm the only one who can cover.

Hell, he's walked out at 4 with patients scheduled at 430!
Old 20 February 2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I really dislike days where all of my free-time is front-loaded, and all of my obligations fall in the late afternoon/evening. I can't enjoy my free time because I know it is closed ended.
When I used to work the front desk at a public library two of my shifts were noon to 8 pm and 5 pm - 8 pm. I found the only plus to this was the getting to sleep in in the morning plus, which was definitely a good thing. Otherwise it was never as easy to schedule appointments or even just go shopping or whatever as you'd think it would be given all those open hours in a day. I know people who always work a later shift at work and they tell me they are used to it and can plan around it but I never found that to be true for me.
Old 20 February 2017, 08:56 PM

I started knitting a skirt on circular needles. I had already done some hours of work when I noticed that the work was twisted.
Now I have to start ALL over again
Old 21 February 2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I feel ya, mbravo. I used to work evenings at a restaurant, and I had such a hard time making use of the 5-7 hours before I had to start getting ready for work, for the exact reasons you describe.
You know, reading your response has me wondering if it's different when it's something I'm actually looking forward to. Only because you reminded me I used to get it when I worked at my old job and sometimes wouldn't be scheduled to come in until 2pm or so, and that was really awful. It's hard to tell, though, because I'm introverted enough that there's very few things I look forward to that require me leaving my house*. Even when my closest friend is having a party or get together, I'll ask if it's alright for me to get there a little early to help set up or just catch up for a bit, just to kill some of that "lost time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
When I used to work the front desk at a public library two of my shifts were noon to 8 pm and 5 pm - 8 pm. I found the only plus to this was the getting to sleep in in the morning plus, which was definitely a good thing. Otherwise it was never as easy to schedule appointments or even just go shopping or whatever as you'd think it would be given all those open hours in a day. I know people who always work a later shift at work and they tell me they are used to it and can plan around it but I never found that to be true for me.
That's a really good way to put it, like even though I know I have plenty of time, it just doesn't feel "right." As for sleeping in, that's becoming a problem for me as well- I naturally get tired around 9-10 p.m., but that doesn't stop me from sleeping in until 9-10 a.m. if given the opportunity . I used to be a really productive night owl- it seemed like 11 pm was when I would hit my creative stride, and during periods of unemployment my natural cycle seemed to shift to a 2am bedtime with 10-11 am wakeup. I kinda miss those days; I remember many nights staying up until 1 or 2, even as late as 4 working on a creative project. I just don't have that steam anymore- I guess that's okay, considering I have a day job now.

I've known people like you mention who worked second shift/graveyard shift for long enough to be used to it and prefer it. It does take all sorts for the world to run, I guess. I never thought of myself as a morning person, but I think tragically for my creative self that my night owl years are a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
I started knitting a skirt on circular needles. I had already done some hours of work when I noticed that the work was twisted.
I've been there It's happened at least twice now while doing a hat using the "magic loop" method. The second time I caught it early enough that I just... er.... forced my way through it and kept going (since it was only the second or third row ) . But that was only a hat, with the circumference a hat calls for; I can only imagine the frustration of how far you must have been into that skirt!!!

Being able to start over and just completely, and literally, rip your work apart is probably one of the most unpleasant parts about knitting. I'm grateful that I didn't start the hobby until the past year, I don't think I would have been mature enough to handle that in years prior. Too frustrating and disappointing.

*I want to say there's probably only (generously) 3 times a year when "Night out, spent with friends you value and enjoy spending time with" sounds more apealing to me than "Night in, wearing pajamas, drinking tea/wine, doing literally anything I would like, alone"
Old 21 February 2017, 02:35 AM

Tantrum

This isnt'a "little thing" but I don't know where else to put it.

I just found out a friend of mine, whom I first met ten years ago in a car racing forum, then personally when I traveled through his home town, has passed away from cancer. It claimed his wife a year ago.

Dammit!!!

This desease keeps taking people I know and love from me, including My parents, in-laws, aunts and uncles, cousins and friends.

Dammit!!! Dammit!!!

Old 21 February 2017, 04:04 AM

DrRocket, I am very sorry.
Old 21 February 2017, 05:41 AM

You have my condolences, DrRocket.
Old 21 February 2017, 11:12 AM

So sorry to hear that.
Old 21 February 2017, 11:40 AM

I'm so sorry.

Re: second shift, my daughter continues to like it so far, after about 6 years in the workforce.
Old 21 February 2017, 02:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
Well, you could always cast off and call it a moebius scarf.

LTTAM: If certain documents are under a legal hold, that means we may need to find them in the future. Changing the storage descriptions to "Legal Hold, destroy when hold is lifted" is monumentally unhelpful. And no, the fact that you scanned some of them doesn't make a difference. Courts require that one be able to produce the originals (even if, in the end, they let one produce a copy, they want the originals to be available).

Seaboe
Old 21 February 2017, 11:43 PM

Thank you all. I do appreciate it.

I'd known he was ill, and had planned to go visit him in Iowa later this spring. But his sudden decline and demise took everyone, including his doctors, by surprise.

I'd just heard the news when I wrote that, and was adrift in a sea of anger and frustration when I posted it.
Closed Thread