snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 16 February 2017, 02:42 PM

Technology changes, people needs change. The difference between message boards and other forms of media (among other things) is pull vs. push technology. You have to go to a message board and read it. Facebook pushes to you when there's something to see. Plus, web traffic is swinging (has swung) over to mobile. On the sites that I administer over half our traffic comes in via mobile device. Traditional message boards don't lend themselves well to mobile traffic. I'm part of a local professional group and we were trying to get a message board off the ground a few years ago and some of our members flat out said if it didn't come to their phone, they weren't interested. They didn't have time to seek out a board to see if there is something to read, they needed it to come to them. (Not a new argument, I faced the same objections when message boards were the hot new thing and e-mail lists were dinosaurs.)

Reddit is one that's still successful with the message board format, though they don't refer to themselves that way. They also have a mobile app that's easy to use. It's overwhelming when you first sign up but if you take some time search you can find subs for just about anything. Since this place has slowed down so much, I needed something to fill the gap. I'm quite enjoying it.

All that said, I imagine this board will stick around as long as it doesn't cost to much in the way of money or resources. No reason to shut it down if it doesn't.
Old 16 February 2017, 02:57 PM

Thanks for posting about your experience with Reddit. My daughter has been pointing me toward threads there and suggesting I try it, and reading that you've enjoyed it makes me more likely to do so.

Facebook just doesn't offer the same discussion tools that a MB does (quoting, for example). And I often find it hard to get back to a thread if I navigate away from it.
Old 16 February 2017, 05:51 PM

It takes some getting used to but I found it was worth the effort. When you first sign up there's a huge set of default subs that appear on your front page and I took pretty much all of those off, because they're high traffic subs and it's a lot of noise all at once. I took some time to subscribe to several in my interests and set those to appear on my front page. You can also create groups of interests so you can read all of one type together. So I have all my cooking and alcohol subs in a group, and all my design related subs in a group so I can just hit that multisub and see what's new.

The other really different thing is that comments don't stay in date order, they get ranked and popular comments and replies rise to the top. But in smaller subs it isn't a real problem. You get used to it. And I find overall the conversation tends to be civil and intelligent. And funny.
Old 17 February 2017, 10:36 AM

I just tried contacting them again, but the contact about the site still goes through to the contact page for suggested content.
Old 17 February 2017, 12:03 PM

I've been posting on The Guardian's comments. There are at least a couple of former posters from here on there as well, but it's large enough that I don't end up interacting with them much. (And one of them mostly posts on football stories that I don't read anyway).

There's some interesting conversation but it does generally have to be on-topic to the article, which prevents wider ranging discussion. Some areas have better threads and more discussion than others, and there are identifiable regulars once you've lurked for a bit, so there is a sort of community. I don't think there's any sort of PM mechanism for contacting people off the comments, though.
Old 17 February 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I just tried contacting them again, but the contact about the site still goes through to the contact page for suggested content.
I tried several days ago contacting them through that link -- that was one of the things I commented about. I've (so far, at least) only had the boilerplate we-get-a-lot-of-emails-and-haven't-gotten-to-yours-yet response; that was on the 14th. I did use a different email than usual, as the site asked me to send that info via an unsecured page.
Old 17 February 2017, 02:27 PM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
The "Get in Contact" tab at top right of the main site has an option for Website Feedback. I don't have time right now, but if someone wants to compose a thoughtful and complete message about all of our concerns, please beat me to it.

Here's a direct link:

http://www.snopes.com/contact/?formType=feedback
Old 17 February 2017, 06:29 PM

How about a PM to snopes?
Old 17 February 2017, 07:04 PM

You can try, but for as long as I can remember since the board upgraded to vBulletin, snopes has had that feature turned off for his account.

My guess is that he's probably aware there's no link from the main site. It's quite possibly by design.

~Psihala
Old 17 February 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Does this include the conversations at the bottom of each movie/show/person's page? Will they be deleting all existing conversations? That seems really crummy, I learned a lot about some shows/movies by reading those... not everything is listed under the trivia/facts sections of things.
Yes. Even those. I learned about stuff as well by other posters. Yeah, you had to wade through trolls but you would find some good info.

This from their site.

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (https://www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/imdbofficial/), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/imdb), and Tumblr (http://imdb.tumblr.com/).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities.

Last edited by Thebobo; 17 February 2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 17 February 2017, 11:33 PM

I suppose they're handling it in the best way they could. Still a shame though. I'd be interested to find out what issues in particular they thought were contributing to a negative experience on the boards- I would think trolling messageboards has mostly fallen out of favor in the past few years thanks to other social media forms, and that's really the only thing I can think of.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:29 AM

At least they are giving a transition period and a chance for people to exchange contact info. The first message board I was ever on just basically disappeared from one day to the next. Sad and frustrating at the same time. Not that we didn't see it coming, the trolls had pretty much taken over by that point and there was no moderating going on at all. Still it would have been nice to say good bye to a few of the regulars who had stuck with it.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if snopes is winding down the forum.

Forums cost time and money.

I am a moderator on another forum - not a large one, but fairly active - and it is quite a lot of work and I know it costs the publisher money. The publisher continues to support it though because it is a large and active community and there are certain benefits for his publication.

I think that also used to be the case for snopes.

There used to be a large and active group here.

It used to offer benefits to his main enterprise (i.e. all of the UL threads could contribute to the collection and researching of urban legends).

Neither of those seem to be true now.

I haven't posted regularly here for a long time. I might post once or twice a year just to keep my account active, but for all practical effects, I left. I did that for a variety of reasons that really don't matter. But it amazes me now to see this forum, how it is but a shadow of its former self. Hardly even a shadow, really. In the old days (man I sound old), the New Posts function filled up so quickly, you could hardly keep up with it. You could click it at one time and get pages and pages of new posts. Come back an hour later, and there would be pages more. Some times it was hard to keep up even with just a single thread, as you would read all the posts, then set out to type your own response, and by the time you were done and hitting "post", many more responses had already been added and your response was already dated and out of synch. Also, there were many prolific members back then - people like Chloe, Silas Sparkhamer, FirstofTwo, Ryda Wong, Canuckistan, cervus, Tgirl and so on - who now either rarely post or never post. I clicked on New Posts tonight, and there were only 25 posts today. That's it. Other days in the last few months there have been far fewer than that. I just checked the front page, it said there were 9 active members logged on. 9.

You simply cannot call that an active community.

And, frankly, what activity there is does not seem to contribute much to the main site's work either. Only 2 of the 25 new posts today were in UL forums. The rest were all in the Non-UL sections. And, for that matter, the mainsite doesn't seem to need that input either. It seems the workings of the main site have changed, and now there are (presumably paid) researchers and writers doing that work.

So what raison d'etre is there left for this forum? None that I can see.

Sentiment and old times' sake, maybe. But even then, it seems to me that Barbara was always more involved with the conversations in the forum than David, who iirc mostly stuck to posting new articles and making the occasional snappy retort to someone.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe David simply has yet to post a new link to the forum on the main site.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply it for this forum.
Old 18 February 2017, 03:45 AM

I do miss the way we used to attack the urban legends together, but you're quite right--that doesn't happen anymore, for whatever reason. I doubt a link to the forum on the main site will be coming, although it's possible this forum will hang on for longer than I suspect it might. It's sad, because it's been part of my life for about as long as I've been an adult, and it's the only forum I've been able to stick to.

I hate Facebook for this kind of thing. Discussions aren't searchable. They can't be resurrected when needed. And our mild anonymity is good for those of us who wouldn't necessarily want all our Facebook friends to see what we post on corporate pages.

David has been here and seen this thread, I'm almost sure. Sometimes when I look at the active users snopes is there, although he doesn't talk to us anymore. Perhaps we're no longer needed. I almost never visit the main site anymore and I unfollowed the page on Facebook after what felt like nothing but clickbait was coming through the feed, most of it having nothing to do with urban legends. It's not just the forums, but the site itself, that has changed significantly in aim and purpose and feel.

There will always be a place for the main site, I imagine, if you want to search for a legend sometime. But instead of being a friendly social connection as a routine part of my day, these boards are more of a habit for me I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to acknowledge may well be gone for good soon. I still appreciate that we're able to talk about such a wide range of topics, and I hope we will be able to do so for a while yet. But I'm not sure we actually serve any purpose for David, and he may see no need to preserve the memory of us--even less so, for us.
Old 18 February 2017, 04:02 AM

Avril, just to be sure, you have my info, right?
Old 18 February 2017, 05:10 AM

I wonder whether we go after the UL's less because snopes doesn't seem to post them here any longer? I seem to remember that those posts often started off the discussion.

I hope the boards keep going. I've learned a lot here, and had a good time. And I really don't know of any equivalent -- if anyone does, please point me in the direction.
Old 18 February 2017, 06:28 PM

I still lurk out of habit but I haven't been involved in a discussion on these forums in years. Part of it is personal and part of it is a change in the dynamics here. I haven't found an equivalent forum community, but I'm not sure I "need" one like I did when I was younger.
Old 18 February 2017, 09:58 PM

Cervus, how would you describe the change in dynamics?
Old 19 February 2017, 12:05 AM

Is anyone a fan of Huffington Post?

Seems the last two days or so, the comments section button near the end of each page has disappeared and no more comments are showing up. Did I mess some announcement from HuffPost that they were going exclusively to FaceBook?

Some years back, HuffPost had their own comments format and I thought it was pretty ideal, as it was easy to follow a thread.
Old 19 February 2017, 12:38 AM

I wonder for HuffPo if the argument has to do with "Certainly people in the comments will be better behaved if their real names are attached to their words," but that seems to have absolutely no bearing on anything based on what I see on facebook regularly.

Is it just for certain articles that they have disabled comments?