snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 13 February 2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Indeed, I noticed the "Little Things That Annoy You" thread is well over 1200 posts, where the staff would usually cap it at 1000.
Maybe they've left the country for Canada....
Old 13 February 2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Not like an official rule. Just a request snopes made, long ago. Can't do it now anyway, so it's a moot point!
Well, I'm willing to do it that way, if snopes will bring back the link.
Old 14 February 2017, 05:30 PM

Sorry for double post, but:

At the top of current main site there's a link which says click here to report issues with the new site format. Clicking on it, however, got me a form to report UL's, not site issues. It's possible that site issues can nevertheless be reported on that form; but it's at best confusing.

Also, I note that there is a link on the main site pages to a snopes Facebook group. I really hope Facebook hasn't talked snopes into dumping the board link; or, worse, eventually the board. I very much do not want to join Facebook.

Didn't there use to be an emergency alternative site for these boards? Anyone know whether it's still active, or who is/was running it?
Old 14 February 2017, 05:49 PM

I've seen the snopes open Facebook group, it's no substitute for the ULMB.

I never heard of an alternative emergency site.
Old 14 February 2017, 07:16 PM

Glasses

IME, the snopes facebook group is not a community the way this board is a community. It is where a lot of people ask about possible scams, fake news and ULs, though.

Seaboe
Old 14 February 2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

Didn't there use to be an emergency alternative site for these boards? Anyone know whether it's still active, or who is/was running it?
I don't know about any alternate sites, emergency or otherwise, but a long time ago there was an informal chat site on Starfleet.org or something. I don't know that its been around for quite awhile, though.

~Psihala
Old 14 February 2017, 07:33 PM

There was an ICQ channel at one time too, iirc.

*ETA: Has anyone tried hitting the 'report post' button to see if there is someone listening?
Old 14 February 2017, 07:57 PM

Icon05

Uh, one link went away. How does that imply the board has been abandoned without warning? snopes and Four Kitties have both posted within the past month. I don't think anyone needs to hit the 'report post' button just to see if anyone is listening.
Old 14 February 2017, 08:06 PM

Fourkitties has never been a moderator. Looking at the list of forum leaders one of them posted only a few times and has not signed into the board in over a year. Ana also AFAIK has never taken on a moderator role. It all seems to be down to snopes now. I don't know if an active moderator is necessary but time was there was a bigger admin presence on the board than there seems to be now. Hopefully that's because we're so well behaved we don't need much correction and not because the board doesn't matter anymore!
Old 14 February 2017, 08:12 PM

I just found the following note in old files: [ETA to clarify: in my own old files on my own computer]

Quote:
http://p066.ezboard.com/Urban-Legend...ssageboardfrm3 [alternate board location if snopes down]
but it now appears to be a dead link. The note was from 2009 at the latest and may have been from several years earlier (it's part of a document I found in 09 files, but which had been created in 2005 and modified multiple times in the interval between those dates.)

-- ganzfeld, I don't think the board's been abandoned at this point; for one thing, it's clearly still working. And I'm not going to report a random post just to see whether it gets a reply. -- snopes last posted on these boards February 12, according to the community page; and may be tangled up right now in working out other updates on the main site.

I'm mostly concerned about possible issues further in the future.
Old 14 February 2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Fourkitties has never been a moderator.
I never said she was.
Old 15 February 2017, 12:49 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Fourkitties has never been a moderator. Looking at the list of forum leaders one of them posted only a few times and has not signed into the board in over a year. Ana also AFAIK has never taken on a moderator role. It all seems to be down to snopes now. I don't know if an active moderator is necessary but time was there was a bigger admin presence on the board than there seems to be now. Hopefully that's because we're so well behaved we don't need much correction and not because the board doesn't matter anymore!
4K was back in the day as was Barbara. Jenn had been a admin but isn't any longer. Some of the new writers did have mod status but I'm not sure if they still have without looking.
Old 15 February 2017, 02:43 AM

My point is that she does posts for the board, ie posting the comments.

Cutting off long threads has always varied and depends more on how well the bulletin software and server are handling things. I wouldn't take the fact that some threads are a bit long as a canary in the coal mine either.
Old 15 February 2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
There will be no new message board members if the site remains hidden this way, and I think it is already beginning to die as it is.
I am a long time member, but not a frequent poster. However, I do enjoy the discussions and do come here often. Or, I did. I'm just getting frustrated by the way that some members seem to post in real-time while others have to wait for mod approval, which means our responses effectively disappear, because they are so far back in the messages that the active portion of the thread is days ahead. I don't know what criteria it takes to be allowed to post without approval, be it length of time registered (I'm at 9 years, so I HOPE I would qualify), or number of posts (if so, what number?). Or, is there just a queue that some folks have an "express pass" to get through quicker? There is only so much reading of conversations before you want to join in on the talk, but only so much frustration you can take because you try to jump in, but keep getting thwarted.

201702151215gmt
Old 15 February 2017, 07:16 PM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I wouldn't take the fact that some threads are a bit long as a canary in the coal mine either.
Last new members joined (were approved) in mid September. The vast majority of the people who joined in the last year never made any posts.

We have certainly not been abandoned and certainly someone's going to check up on us.

And regarding the > 1000 posts per thread, I seem to think that was only a problem when there were multiple threads reaching > 1000. The forum members are not posting as much, and the newbies tend to go to Facebook.

It used to be snopes, or someone else, would sometimes post something just for the webcrawlers (web spiders? I don't remember) to discover and get hits. Facebook does this quite well, I think.
Old 15 February 2017, 09:41 PM

It's also been awhile since snopes started a thread here. I'm guessing he's more involved with the FB page now or, and this is sadly all too likely, with Trump in the White House he's running ragged keeping up with all the "alternative facts" now spewing out at a ridiculous rate!
Old 16 February 2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
There will be no new message board members if the site remains hidden this way, and I think it is already beginning to die as it is.
I am surprised this message board still exists. Seems message boards has run their course now thanks to other forms of social media.
Sadly the IMDb is doing away with their boards in a couple of days. That was the first forum I joined way back in 1999 when I got my very first PC.
Old 16 February 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
Sadly the IMDb is doing away with their boards in a couple of days. That was the first forum I joined way back in 1999 when I got my very first PC.
Does this include the conversations at the bottom of each movie/show/person's page? Will they be deleting all existing conversations? That seems really crummy, I learned a lot about some shows/movies by reading those... not everything is listed under the trivia/facts sections of things.
Old 16 February 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
I am surprised this message board still exists. Seems message boards has run their course now thanks to other forms of social media.
For some of us message boards/forums work better than other forms of social media.

Electric guitars didn't replace acoustic, power tools didn't replace hand tools, airplanes didn't replace bicycles let alone feet. I don't see why message boards shouldn't continue alongside other forms of communication.
Old 16 February 2017, 12:58 PM

I agree, Thorny! Facebook has it's place but for me it's more a way to stay in touch with family and friends news in a general kind of way and is a substitute for email or texting on a phone when it's one on one. To me it's not a way to have any kind of real discussion on issues or news stories with lots of people participating! Or at least that's never been my experience with FB - but then I am not one of those people who have 600+ friends. Maybe if you are into FB to that extent it's different.