snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 10 February 2017, 03:43 PM

Icon05 Link to Message Board on new site?

Is it just me, or is there no link to this message board on the new snopes.com layout?
Old 10 February 2017, 03:48 PM

Not just you.
Old 10 February 2017, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I couldn't find one either. I guess it's not up (yet?).

Personally, I like to go to snopes to read the What's New?, then link to the message board from there. My rhythm is off now!
Old 10 February 2017, 11:12 PM

I had to get to the message board via the FB group. I DETEST this new site layout. It's cluttered, aggravating, difficult to find what you're looking for and just generally driving me batty. And it has no link to the message board.
Old 11 February 2017, 10:22 PM

I have had to find the message board via a search engine since the update. I contacted Snopes about it but have not had a reply yet.
Old 11 February 2017, 10:54 PM

Yes, I had to use a search engine link, as well.

Bookmark this URL:

http://message.snopes.com/

That should do it.
Old 11 February 2017, 11:55 PM

Icon05

I can't even remember ever coming to the message board through the ULRP. Seems a very silly thing to complain about since so few ULRP viewers ever use it and no one needs it. Just my own opinion. I don't even bookmark or search for this site; how hard is it to find message.snopes.com?
Old 12 February 2017, 12:08 AM

There will be no new message board members if the site remains hidden this way, and I think it is already beginning to die as it is.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:10 AM

Interesting, Avril. I found this message board originally when I was searching the main site but once I got hooked I just came straight here. Would people come looking for a message board? I don't think so. Maybe?
Old 12 February 2017, 02:47 PM

Baseball

I have had the "New Posts" bookmarked, but I usually navigate to the ULRP main page, have a look around, then hit the message board link to get here.

I'm not lost without it, but it breaks my typical pattern of navigation. I'm far from annoyed, I just have to readjust.
Old 12 February 2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I found this message board originally when I was searching the main site but once I got hooked I just came straight here.
Me too.

And I very much doubt that I would have noticed the message board originally if it hadn't been linked from the main site; though I had stopped getting here by that route a long time ago.
Old 12 February 2017, 04:58 PM

I found the main page from the message board. I don't remember how I found the message board it was either through a google search or via a link to a thread from a thread on another message board.
Old 12 February 2017, 06:41 PM

I hadn't been on the boards in over a month and, last night, I decided to pay a visit. So, I did as I've always done and typed in "www.snopes.com" and got the brand-new homepage. And looked for the link to the boards.

And looked.

And looked.

And looked.

Ten minutes later, having checked everything and finding nothing, I finally click on the "Contact" link and sent a message.

Well, I got two replies. The first, I think, was just a generic "thank you for your message; here are some hints that might help you" and I was about to send a REALLY nasty reply until I noticed the other reply. In that one, it said, "They're right where they've always been: At message.snopes.com". Well, I sent a reply to that one noting that I had NEVER accessed the boards that way and hinted (somewhat strongly) that a LINK to the boards might be a good idea (like the good old days).

Since it'd been so long since I checked the Snopes site, I didn't know how long it's been since the roll out of the "new" Snopes so maybe (just maybe) the site's still in a bit of transition phase and new things (like a link to the boards) might still be on the way.

Why websites think they need to fix what WASN'T broken simply eludes me. Updating a site for better security makes sense. Even updating for better functionality makes sense. But just changing things to look "kewl" (like dozens of other similar sites) and then ending up looking tired and outdated within a couple of years just doesn't.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:37 AM

What is weird about that is that snopes asked us, long ago, to navigate to the boards through the main site so the main site would have more hits.

I'm not seeing much official presence by the web team over here on the boards anymore, though, so I don't know how much the boards actually matter to them anymore.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:43 AM

You mean he asked us to search for the main board on a search engine and then click on that link? (I don't remember that but I haven't been a member as long as you have.)
Old 13 February 2017, 03:49 AM

The instructions were to go to www.snopes.com and click on the message board link there, rather than going to message.snopes.com.
Old 13 February 2017, 12:05 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I'm not seeing much official presence by the web team over here on the boards anymore, though...
Indeed, I noticed the "Little Things That Annoy You" thread is well over 1200 posts, where the staff would usually cap it at 1000.
Old 13 February 2017, 02:17 PM

I always go straight to message.snopes.com - and I've always used the address to access it. I don't go through the main site.
Old 13 February 2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
The instructions were to go to www.snopes.com and click on the message board link there, rather than going to message.snopes.com.
Whoops, I missed that. I'd have done it that way, if I'd realized we were supposed to.
Old 13 February 2017, 02:44 PM

Not like an official rule. Just a request snopes made, long ago. Can't do it now anyway, so it's a moot point!