snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 09 February 2017, 11:18 PM

Mouse

Snopes is changing the format for their website which offends me both as a crotchety NFBSK opposed to change, but also because I had to use Google like some kind of peasant to find the messageboard.
Old 09 February 2017, 11:24 PM

Why not just bookmark message.snopes.com and go straight to it?
Old 09 February 2017, 11:29 PM

Mouse

I dunno. Sometimes I feel like I should keep track of the ULs circulating, but maybe I need to give that up. It's abundantly obvious that people think skepticism means "I must question everything and never use my own brain to sort out and weigh facts and evidence." That and clearly, critical thinking is a skill that the schools could spend more time on, rather than the scantrons. Judging by the page, most people read the headline of something, close their eyes, then make the conscientious decision as to whether or not to believe. Once the decision has been made, what few critical facilities they had, cease to operate.

That and TGG, you did read that part about me being all crotchety and opposed to change?
Old 10 February 2017, 05:39 AM

You can always do what I do - after reading the mesage board, I click on the snopes.com link down left that takes me to the main site.
Old 10 February 2017, 11:21 AM

copy pasting a post from the old thread from Jan 18:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo
Woke up really cold. We usually keep our house temperature at 70 during the day and down to 67-68 at night. I went to go raise it to 70 thinking that for whatever reason I must be really feeling that two degrees right now... but a look at the thermostat revealed that while the heat was still set to 68, the temperature in the house was all the way down to 63. (And I'm the first one up, so it's not like someone else got up and lowered it to 63, besides the fact that when I saw it it was set to 68 and should have gone on somewhere in that time). I know 63 is comfortable room temperature to a lot of people (and for some reason feels different in different houses- in my boyfriend's townhome they keep their house at 62-64 and I'm usually fine there, so I don't know what to make of any of that) but it's just too cold for me in the morning when I need to get up and not be under blankets anymore...
This morning it happened again and was down to 56 Last time it happened, dad didn't seem to care or think it was worth looking into. I guess it's just a programming glitch, but I'm so cold, and I don't imagine it's very good for me to sleep with the temperature that low while my humidifier is on. Or, even if it isn't harmful to my health, it's very uncomfortable and unpleasant.

The heat's been going since I got up and fiddled with the thermostat to just get it going. Hopefully in the next 10-15 minutes it will be warm enough to get dressed without cringing.
Old 10 February 2017, 03:27 PM

Baseball

Snow. Got 35 cm last night.

Opened up my back door to let my dog out, and it the snow was level with my back door (I have a 5 step set of stairs to the ground). The dog thought "great!" and ran out as if the snow was solid. He disappeared into the white. He ended up bouncing like Tigger all over.

But when I looked out front, the snow had blown differently and there was only about 15 cm in front of my vehicle. Not too bad. I can burst through that pretty easily. Got to the back, and because my neighbours have a service blow their driveway (into a big mound on their yard), the wind patterns for drifting snow, and the dusting from the snow blower, created a 1.1 metre high drift behind my vehicle.

Getting out was not nearly as simple as I had hoped.
Old 10 February 2017, 03:36 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
copy pasting a post from the old thread from Jan 18:

This morning it happened again and was down to 56 Last time it happened, dad didn't seem to care or think it was worth looking into. I guess it's just a programming glitch, but I'm so cold, and I don't imagine it's very good for me to sleep with the temperature that low while my humidifier is on. Or, even if it isn't harmful to my health, it's very uncomfortable and unpleasant.

The heat's been going since I got up and fiddled with the thermostat to just get it going. Hopefully in the next 10-15 minutes it will be warm enough to get dressed without cringing.
We were having a similar issue and were informed that the circuit board in the furnace unit was going bad. Not an inexpensive repair either. Thermostat sends the signal to the furnace, but the furnace 'hiccups' and fails to start. Had to turn the furnace off and then back on to get it to work again.
Old 10 February 2017, 09:49 PM

I turned on Animal Planet expecting to see Treehouse Masters, and they're showing Tanked.
Old 10 February 2017, 09:57 PM

Animal Planet should change their name, given that its been years since most of their programming was actually about animals.
Old 13 February 2017, 12:04 AM

At Sam's Club today in a moment of weakness I got some Reese's Fast Break candy bars.

Looking at the packaging I thought I was getting a king sized box of candy bars, but what I got was a box of King sized candy bars. I didn't realize this until I opened the box, so I can't return them.

They're too big, too sweet, too much. I really prefer the smaller ones.

These things are like chocolate peanut butter telephone poles!

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 13 February 2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:06 AM

Mouse

I can't figure out how to organize the links in my bookmarks in alphabetical order. It used to be I could just click and drag them to their intended position, but that hasn't been working. To an anal-retentive weirdo such as myself, it is mildly vexing.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:09 AM

Baseball

I know with one of my browsers there is an option to "Organise Bookmarks" and a separate GUI pops up. Perhaps that is the case where an update has taken the easy click and drag functionality away from you.
Old 13 February 2017, 01:34 AM

FWP Elevators that change their minds. "You said you were going down!"
Old 13 February 2017, 02:23 PM

Glasses

What browser are you using, Mouse? In Firefox, to alphabetize you go into Show All Bookmarks -> Views -> Sort. In IE 11, you go to the folder you want to organize, then right click and choose Sort by Name.

I don't use Chrome enough to tell you how to do it there.

Seaboe
Old 13 February 2017, 02:34 PM

Computer

In Chrome, right click on your bookmarks folder, choose "Bookmark Manager". In the page that opens there is the option to "Organize". You can choose "Reorder by Title".
Old 14 February 2017, 08:46 PM

I totally get coming to places like previously tv to vent about shows you don't like. Really I get it. But when you watch every new episode of the show you don't like and then come on the board to vent about it and wonder why it hasn't been cancelled yet you start to remind me of those Trump supporters who buy expensive drinks at Starbucks so they can put Trumps name on their cup or those other genius's who buy the football jersey of a player they don't like just so they can burn it. You protest by giving money to your "enemy". In other words if you really think a show should be cancelled, here's a clue, stop watching it! All you're doing is adding to the total # of viewers which most of the time means the show will not be cancelled because people like you are adding to their revenue stream!
Old 14 February 2017, 10:24 PM

People forget, or never realize, that the TV audience is a product being sold to advertisers.
Old 15 February 2017, 02:37 AM

Icon23

There were no black natto in the grocery this morning. I wanted black natto for lunch.
Old 15 February 2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
In other words if you really think a show should be cancelled, here's a clue, stop watching it! All you're doing is adding to the total # of viewers which most of the time means the show will not be cancelled because people like you are adding to their revenue stream!
Unless you're a registered Nielsen household, no one is tracking what you watch on television, and it makes no difference at all whether you have your TV on or off.

I don't know how ratings revenue works in regards to streaming.
Old 15 February 2017, 01:37 PM

That's a fair point, Cervus, but the bottom line is if you honestly hate a TV show and are actively and vociferously wondering why it has not been canceled continuing to watch it every week seems counter intuitive to say the least! You personally may not be a Neilson family but you are continuing to support a program by seeing those high priced ads (and in Big Bang Theory as one example of a highly rated show that a lot of people snark on endlessly those ads are taking up a good chunk of the program time). Granted not tuning in may not get a show canceled but tuning in week after week isn't either!