snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 05 January 2017, 08:19 AM

Default Yorkshire's 'bookseller from hell' regrets calling customer 'a pain in the arse'

This shop sounds great!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...in-in-the-arse

Quote:
The 63-year-old admitted he should not have called a customer, who went on to complain about his welcome to the council, “a pain in the arse”.

At his home near Settle, North Yorkshire, he added: “I regretted it as soon as I said it.

“He arrived just as I was closing, but I allowed him to go in and browse around. But he ignored me completely when I asked for my 50p, which didn’t help things at all.”
The 50p is the "entrance fee" he demands from people who come into his shop...
Old 05 January 2017, 10:06 AM

Ah! So Black Books was real, eh?
Old 05 January 2017, 05:34 PM

Apparently real and also quite traditional in second-hand book circles:

I’m on the same page as the ‘bookseller from hell’. Here’s why

Quote:
His critics would argue that someone who is not really a people person should probably not be running a business that relies on interacting with people. But they misunderstand the nature of secondhand bookselling. Secondhand booksellers don’t like people. They like books. That’s the whole point. People who come in to secondhand bookshops – especially the ones who spend an hour sheltering from the rain, leaving puddles over the floor and making the cat wet when they stroke it – are bloody irritating.
The comments were largely on his side too, when I looked. I reckon it will be good for his business - although whether or not he appreciates that is a different matter...