snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 29 December 2016, 05:40 PM

Icon81 CEO resigns after overworked employee commits suicide

The head of the Japanese advertising giant Dentsu has resigned after the suicide of a junior employee was linked to a company culture that required staffers to work huge amounts of overtime.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/29/news...tsu/index.html
Old 30 December 2016, 07:54 AM

Knowing people that have held down jobs in Japan, overwork and excessive overtime is practically built in to their current work culture. I'm surprised it took this long for a suicide to happen. I suspect this wasn't the first at all, but the first that drew enough attention to make regulators do something about it.
Old 30 December 2016, 01:08 PM

I don't think that is a first either. There were full books written about all these subjects - overwork, suicide from overwork, and regulations to prevent it - way back in the 1980's.
Old 30 December 2016, 04:17 PM

The article did mention that it's frequent enough that there's even a word for it: karoshi.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:46 PM

That's a non sequitur. The word has been around for a long time. It's existence doesn't tell us anything about how prevalent the problem is. English also has the term "worked to death" for more than a hundred years. So?
Old 30 December 2016, 11:02 PM

So if there's a term for the event it's obviously something that has happened before. It doesn't mean that it's a daily occurrence but it's something that people are apparently aware of as happening before this event.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:09 PM

Icon05

Not to belabor the point but we're just talking in the other thread about "white genocide". So that's a thing that's obviously happened?
Old 31 December 2016, 12:50 AM

Whereas the tendency of Japanese salaried businesspeople to be massively overworked and over-stressed and Japan's bias against seeking help for mental health related issues are widely known to be real.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:27 AM

As a stereotype, perhaps, but it would be interesting to see the available data on it. Japan is also well known for embracing quality assurance techniques that would likely lend credence to the idea that working people into the ground is a bad idea.
Old 31 December 2016, 08:41 AM

I don't know how unique Japan's work problems are, no matter how well they are stereotyped. I agree overwork is a problem that needs to be addressed. I just think it's a bit silly to say "It's so bad there, they have a word for it!" It makes no sense at all.
Old 31 December 2016, 10:26 AM

English has a word to describe the act of throwing someone out a window but that doesn't mean it's a common problem.

Nick
Old 01 January 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
English has a word to describe the act of throwing someone out a window but that doesn't mean it's a common problem.

Nick
Maybe where you come from it's not
Old 01 January 2017, 12:39 AM

Defenestration is actually a Latin word, not English. And it was coined in response to an act of several people being thrown out a window (which started the Thirty Years War).
Old 01 January 2017, 12:41 AM

It's as much an English word as deforestation...
Old 01 January 2017, 05:47 AM

Pretty sure anyone who can read on a sixth grade level could make a list of a dozen or more terms that exist for things that don't in less time than it takes for death by spontaneous human combustion.
Old 01 January 2017, 03:35 PM

There's an argument for the existence of God (meant seriously) that amounts to 'but we've got a word for it!'

(That's a slight exaggeration; but to my mind that's really what the ontological argument comes down to.)
Old 01 January 2017, 03:56 PM

Ah yes, #305:
Quote:
ARGUMENT FROM RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE
(1) God exists.
(2) Therefore, when I talk about God or related concepts, these words denote something.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
Although it seems like it's really just a variation of the ontological argument.
Old 02 January 2017, 03:38 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Defenestration is actually a Latin word, not English. And it was coined in response to an act of several people being thrown out a window (which started the Thirty Years War).
I've just always loved the word "defenestration" because it's so obviously specific. Like I tell people, it makes me picture a Monty Python character explaining the term: "To properly defenestrate someone, one must throw him out a window. Throwing him out a door, doesn't count. Throwing them off a cliff, while undoubtedly fatal, does not qualify as a defenestration. No, the only way to properly defenestrate someone is to throw them out a window."

Like I said, the specificity makes me laugh, because we don't seem to have this kind of specification for other means of killing people, no word that distinguishes stabbing someone to death with a butter knife from stabbing them to death with a sword.
Old 03 January 2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've just always loved the word "defenestration" because it's so obviously specific. Like I tell people, it makes me picture a Monty Python character explaining the term: "To properly defenestrate someone, one must throw him out a window. Throwing him out a door, doesn't count. Throwing them off a cliff, while undoubtedly fatal, does not qualify as a defenestration. No, the only way to properly defenestrate someone is to throw them out a window."

Like I said, the specificity makes me laugh, because we don't seem to have this kind of specification for other means of killing people, no word that distinguishes stabbing someone to death with a butter knife from stabbing them to death with a sword.
The reason I like the word defenestration, is because it keeps alive the old "eh" sound from old French, which is now done by the accents grave and accents circonflexes (or sometimes ai) but used to be represented by the "es".

"Mestre corbeau, sur un arbre perché tenait dans son bec un fromage."
"Monsieur L'evesque nous a donner la benediction"
Old 04 January 2017, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
"Mestre corbeau, sur un arbre perché tenait dans son bec un fromage."
Okay, my French is a little rusty, but I read this as a bird perched in a tree with cheese in his beak. Since when do birds eat cheese?

Seaboe