snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 29 December 2016, 01:53 PM

Icon202 10 hilarious tweets that perfectly sum up 2016

This year took quite a toll on the American public and people across the globe.

We witnessed quite arguably the wildest and most exhausting election season in history. We pushed through the pain of horrific mass shootings and senseless violence. We endured the loss of countless beloved icons, like David Bowie, Prince and Carrie Fisher. And in true 2016 fashion, Twitter became the outlet for the masses to express their dissatisfaction with how the year played out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10-hilar...t-sum-up-2016/
Old 29 December 2016, 09:04 PM

Was 2016 really any worse than other years? Disregard the US election for a moment and not much happened that hasn't happened every year this century.
Old 29 December 2016, 09:11 PM

If 1992 was the annus horribilis for the Queen, then this year has been annus horribilis for the rest of the world. Just when I thought the number of celebrity deaths was coming to an end we have had another large batch in the last week.

Besides Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds we have lost Rick Parfitt of Status Quo and, on Christmas Day, George Michael of Wham! I don't know how big Status Quo and Wham! were in the USA, but both were huge in the UK. Status Quo, big from the late sixties, was part of my youth.
Old 29 December 2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Was 2016 really any worse than other years? Disregard the US election for a moment and not much happened that hasn't happened every year this century.
Sorry to double post, but what about Brexit? It means that the UK will soon be departing from one of the largest and most successful economic groups in the world. Unless it is handled well by the government it could also be the end of the UK. Scotland is already talking about another referendum on leaving the UK.
Old 29 December 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
The problem is you (or at least I) can't disregard the US election. I'll grant you that celebrity deaths happen every year and every family, sooner or later, will have a rough year where it seems like everything that can go wrong does go wrong. That combines to make 2016 a bad year for me but adding in Trump winning the election makes 2016 the worst year in recent memory. Anyway I can't disregard the election. It's going to have long term consequences that cannot be shrugged off as the fallout from just another Republican administration.
Old 30 December 2016, 12:39 AM

I get that the election and referendum were awful but it's the results that matter and that's what we'll be dealing with for the next few years at least. All this complaining about 2016 might seem a bit quaint then. I hope not. I hope it's still like "Egads how did we ever survive 2016?" in 2020.
Old 30 December 2016, 12:45 AM

Mouse

Yeah Donald Trump alone makes 2016 the worst year in recent memory. The celebrity deaths...I'm trying to figure out what metaphor to use. Just that said deaths were the topping to a shit sundae.
Old 30 December 2016, 02:12 AM

There's a meme going around that says, "Who the NFBSK put George R.R. Martin in charge of 2016?" Just thought I'd add that in.
Old 30 December 2016, 02:20 AM

If he's in charge, where's my flying lepidosaur?
Old 30 December 2016, 04:21 AM

Mouse

Yeah at least Game of Thrones has friggin' dragons. Also their villains, like Tywin Lannister and Petyr Baelish, are well-written Magnificent Bastards with complex, well thought-out schemes. They don't just say things loudly in hopes of making it true and they put forth actual effort and planning into their villainy. Like I keep saying, if we're going to be ruled by Supervillains, can't they at least be well-written ones or have some style to them? As said before, the GOP has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic.

I've sometimes wondered if we don't secretly live in a simulation run by machines, only rather than the super-intelligent ones as seen in The Matrix, our simulation is the one created by the Spambots who send us ads for boner drugs.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Well for me it was actually quite good. I got my disability insurance payout and with that renovated my kitchen and replaced the floor coverings in my unit. I also saw a theorpist and decided to go back to study, both of which made me feel pretty good. But that doesn't mean that the election results in the US and the Uk don't make me feel a bit concerned about the future of the planet. And my cousin lost her labrador recently. In in editon to that certain celebraty death have made me feel quite sad.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:11 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Yeah at least Game of Thrones has friggin' dragons. Also their villains, like Tywin Lannister and Petyr Baelish, are well-written Magnificent Bastards with complex, well thought-out schemes. They don't just say things loudly in hopes of making it true and they put forth actual effort and planning into their villainy. Like I keep saying, if we're going to be ruled by Supervillains, can't they at least be well-written ones or have some style to them? As said before, the GOP has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic.
Hear! Hear!

R.R. Martin would never write something so sloppy as Donald Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've sometimes wondered if we don't secretly live in a simulation run by machines, only rather than the super-intelligent ones as seen in The Matrix, our simulation is the one created by the Spambots who send us ads for boner drugs.
According to Elon Musk, there is a good chance we are already living in a simulation or our own creation.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:44 AM

How would you even be able to determine that?
Old 31 December 2016, 03:20 AM

Funny you ask that, my daughter and I spent a long train trip in Scotland discussing that very point. As near as we could figure, it's impossible to tell from within the simulation without assistance from outside of the simulation.

We moved on to assume that we were in a simulation and then speculated on our 'users'. I figured I'm played by an Octopus. My daughter is an Ocelot, our friends are a house cat and a hummingbird.

This is why I own a painting of an Octopus playing Sims on a computer with my own image depicted on the Sim.
Old 31 December 2016, 08:48 AM

I think the argument goes something like this: In a few decades or centuries (if it hasn’t happened already), most of our worlds will be simulations and the most complex simulations will someday be indistinguishable from “real worlds”. So simulations are likely to outnumber real worlds by millions or trillions to… one real world? It breaks down there a bit with the estimation of numbers. There could be a trillion realities to start.

But I think the premise is a bit flimsy to begin with: What’s the difference between a simulation and a real world? The only one there is has relevance only to our own simulations and has nothing to do with anything. Just an arbitrary distinction.