snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 21 December 2016, 04:03 PM

Fight Judge rules against DC Metro's Purple Line

Article here

And the link: https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/0...el-ridiculous/

This has been an ongoing drama for the past few years. I find it interesting because the conflict is between two groups whom you'd think be united in their love for public transportation. (I really have no opinion on the Purple Line). However, it's the NIMBYs vs the Smart Growth People. Grab your popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the fight!
As I mentioned in another thread, our governor is in favor of this due to existing infrastructure and a population that's expected to increase as time goes by.
Old 21 December 2016, 04:50 PM

NIMBY's, IME, support public transit only when it's not in their BY.

ETA: Which seems to be the case here. From the OP link, emphasis mine:

Quote:
The Friends [of the Capital Crescent Trail], who have made arguments against the Purple Line ranging from unfounded concerns over local amphipod populations to the train’s route passing by a few schools, want to replace the planned railway with inter-county buses—which would not run through Chevy Chase at all.
Old 21 December 2016, 05:38 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
NIMBY's, IME, support public transit only when it's not in their BY.

ETA: Which seems to be the case here. From the OP link, emphasis mine:
Quote:
want to replace the planned railway with inter-county buses—which would not run through Chevy Chase at all.
Hijack: I'm sure Chevy Chase doesn't want buses running through him either...

Old 21 December 2016, 05:48 PM

Since he is off of Community, do we care?
Old 22 December 2016, 12:41 PM

I'm fascinated by this topic, and in general as to what goes into planning a new transit line and what obstacles/objections may come up.

In particular, I'm also thinking about the planned Green Line Extension project, to extend the Green line from Boston into Somerville. The extension has been approved (it was actually a condition of the Big Dig) but keeps running into problems, such as funding. The project was delayed for so long that the original completion date passed before they even got started.

They've had to scramble to reduce the costs and scope of the project, to keep it from being scrapped entirely, but it seems to be ready to go ahead at this point.

http://greenlineextension.eot.state.ma.us/about.html
Old 22 December 2016, 12:55 PM

Glasses

Well there is a YUGE (sorry! couldn't resist!) need for a direct subway connection from this county to the neighboring county. Right now, you have to go through DC to get from here to there. One of Metro's biggest design flaws is its spoke/hub design, but 40 years ago no one expected the outermost suburbs to be residential hot spots. However, the proposed route would cut into a large majority of a beloved hiker/biker trail.

ETA: FWIW, Chevy Chase--the area not the comedian--is one of this county's high-rent districts.